Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony manual focusing

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony manual focusing

I think my favorite feature outside of being small is manual focusing. Focus peaking is a dream come true , it actually ****ing works. I've done digital for years and ever since they did away with film cameras focusing has always been a back burner item. I was just out with several manual focus lenses on tripod and handheld and I nailed everything without thinking about it even my Zeiss 135. I'm still fiddling with controls and placement . C2 is just in a bad spot for a left eyed shooter. But have to say you get around pretty good and just have to get used to it to get fast at everything. Really well done by Sony, yes there are some firmware things in need but hopefully they will get to them soon.pretty impressed so far.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony manual focusing

Us NEX users have been enjoying peaking for years. Glad you like it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ron what I did not mention was the EVF is the best I ever tried . Seriously it almost looks optical.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That's a serious step up from the NEXen. I didn't like using the EVF with NEX-6 and 7, but now I really do.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All that stuff works nice now need to like everything else. The grip is nice but feels lose or better said the plastic base gives somewhat on a tripod. I think its a handhold only item. But for me when I really need that on a tripod I'll be mounted to the lens instead so won't matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The DMF (Direct Manual Focus) is pretty cool too with AF lenses. You AF, but can turn the focus ring for fine-tuning, and the icing is it automatically magnifies and peaks (assuming you have these turned on) on the focus point you AF'd with. Very cool
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I think my favorite feature outside of being small is manual focusing. Focus peaking is a dream come true , it actually ****ing works. I've done digital for years and ever since they did away with film cameras focusing has always been a back burner item. I was just out with several manual focus lenses on tripod and handheld and I nailed everything without thinking about it even my Zeiss 135. I'm still fiddling with controls and placement . C2 is just in a bad spot for a left eyed shooter. But have to say you get around pretty good and just have to get used to it to get fast at everything. Really well done by Sony, yes there are some firmware things in need but hopefully they will get to them soon.pretty impressed so far.
    I fully agree, Guy. EVF and focus peaking on the Sony beats the hell out of anything else I've used (and I have an RX1 and an M 240). For a guy like me with poor vision, it's a Godsend. Finally, I can focus a Noctilux successfully every freakin' time.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any idea when Arca/IQ will support a similar manual focus system? Please....

Post Thanks / Like

I think my favorite feature outside of being small is manual focusing.
    Music to my ears, Guy. You're one of the few people I know of who has used both the a7 and the DMR…. how would you compare the color quality?
    Doug Herr http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn close best I seen yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I left the magnify on C1, as it comes from the factory. On both my A99 and A7r, I put a small ball of SUGRU on the button and flattened it down a bit. Once it hardens, it stays put and makes moving from the shutter button over to the magnify button (on the A7r), very easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great idea Cindy. Yea C1 could be bigger for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don't make it any bigger than the button. It sticks up and is rubbery, so you can find the bump easily. I don't think you want to get Sugru down into the area around the button. Later, if you sell the camera, you can just remove it and there is no damage. I did this on NEX 5N, NEX7, A77 and removed the button from all when I sold them with no tell-tale sign.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    I left the magnify on C1, as it comes from the factory. On both my A99 and A7r, I put a small ball of SUGRU on the button and flattened it down a bit. Once it hardens, it stays put and makes moving from the shutter button over to the magnify button (on the A7r), very easy.
    Great idea, Cindy! I think I have a spare Leica dot somewhere. I might just stick that on C1…

Post Thanks / Like

I've got focus mag set on the button inside the AEL ring. My thumb naturally falls there when I'm holding the camera so it's a no brainer to find it whilst shooting without moving my eye from the EVF.

C2 for zoom on review is a real pain. I have lady fingers and I still find it annoying to get to because it's sort of recessed due to its proximity to the lip from the LCD. I wish you could remap it.
    Ben
    Perth, Australia

Post Thanks / Like

This thread certainly highlights the benefits of the A7 series. The EVF is a dream and peaking is extremely effective and is still active with the first magnification level.

Victor

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've got peaking on as standard and magnify on the centre button in the middle of the ring, I find it easier to use due to it's size. C2 is harder to get to and C1 is TINY! Keep in mind Guy, on a Zeiss lens you're going to see peaking perfectly and it will be very accurate, on older lenses with less contrast, peaking is a lot less accurate.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I agree with your assessment of the MF aids on the A7/r: I met up with a fellow member from here yesterday, and used a 50/3.5 macro on a tilt adapter, and it's absolutely easy to use and focus, even hand held. The member had the magnification toggles mapped to the centre button on the AF/MF switch, like Ben above; it falls to the thumb completely automatically while the fingers hold the grip. Decent effective design.

Cindy, cold you snap a pic of your mod when you get a chance?

I can't buy one immediately (she who must be obeyed insists that I finish a book first) but I will. Still debating over A7 vs. A7r.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Cindy, cold you snap a pic of your mod when you get a chance?

I can't buy one immediately (she who must be obeyed insists that I finish a book first) but I will. Still debating over A7 vs. A7r.
    Attachment 79173

Attachment 79174
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered some from Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

Very neat, Cindy; I had to look hard to see it! Cheers, KL

Post Thanks / Like

That looks great, I'm gonna do that for sure. I think I'll make mine yellow, to match my focus peaking

Joel

Post Thanks / Like

I tried using a loupe on the LCD with the magnified focus activated, and each time I put the loupe over the screen, the screen goes black. Is there is a way to turn off that behavior?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    I tried using a loupe on the LCD with the magnified focus activated, and each time I put the loupe over the screen, the screen goes black. Is there is a way to turn off that behavior?
    Thanks.
    I've got a pile of generic adapters and there are a couple that this happens with. Don't know why, but for whatever reason, it might be your adapter.

edit..oops, read more careful...ignore this. My issue with a couple of adapters is the magnified zoom for focusing pops back to full width view as soon as I turn a manual lens, not on all adapters.
    Last edited by neelin; 24th December 2013 at 12:41.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Sony manual focusing

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Thanks.
    The camera probably thinks that the loupe is your face and is activating the EVF.

I have found my A7 to be very sensitive in this regard.

You can turn off the automatic switching but I don't recall how and I don't have my camera with me just now.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Menu - Custom Settings (the second main tab) - FINDER/MONITOR

You can set it to auto/viewfinder/monitor

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ron what I did not mention was the EVF is the best I ever tried . Seriously it almost looks optical.
    It's almost as good as the one on the E-M1, but, truth to tell, all the new ones use the same panel from (I think) Epson.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest you guys try setting the magnifier on the AF/MF or AEL button. I set it to the AEL button (selector pointing down) knowing that I hardly ever use it. It's can be set under "Custom Key Settings". My thumb can press the AEL button (double press or triple press to zoom in even more) to magnify while my index finger on the shutter ready to fire. To me, this is a lot more intuitive than the c1 button and a lot faster.

Give a try.
    Yat

www.flickr.com/yatlee