The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So Why did you buy the A7/R???

I've been looking to replace the 5d2 as a backup camera to my Rm3d / IQ260 for architectural work. The Sony works beautifully with my TS-Es via the Metabones. It's DR and detail beat the hell out of the Canon. As I continue to compare it to my MFDB system, I would feel rather confident shooting some assignments with just the little A7r. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether I'll ever be able to tether into C1 Pro???

Looking good....

A7r

M Line 2 / IQ260

dchew

Well I just took the plunge yesterday. I've had very good EOS-based glass sitting around doing not much since I moved over to a tech camera. Zeiss 21 and 35, Canon 90 ts and the 70-200f4/is. I will add the Sony/Zeiss 35 FE so I can have a small kit.

So for me:
Essentially uncompromised image quality.

Virtually all the DSLR benefits* with the added feature of morphing to a small kit if desired (with smaller dedicated lenses)

Accepts glass I have, plus a whole host of other options!​

I no longer have any interest in a DSLR. Although I think I'm sending my 5D II out for an IR conversion :)

*With the exception of reaction time, which I don't need.

Dave

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I've been looking to replace the 5d2 as a backup camera to my Rm3d / IQ260 for architectural work. The Sony works beautifully with my TS-Es via the Metabones. It's DR and detail beat the hell out of the Canon. As I continue to compare it to my MFDB system, I would feel rather confident shooting some assignments with just the little A7r. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether I'll ever be able to tether into C1 Pro???

Looking good....

A7r

M Line 2 / IQ260
Looks good Chris and C1 is my only worry about tethered. I heard LR can sort of do it. I think if you setup a hot folder in C1 it may work. I just have not got around to it yet

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I bought the A7R because an Alpa with a Credo 80 didn't shoot good enough video :D

Seriously, the video was a big factor for me, along with using my glass collection, plus the size/wight considerations. I'm not getting any younger and i just can't deal with a twenty+ pound camera bag ever again working solo. Leica gear has become so expensive the bang for the buck just isn't there for me anymore, and the Sony gets the job done for me with ease. I love my 5D III for what it does well, but honestly it is going on the block to be replaced by a second Sony. As good as it is, I am finding the Sony better for my needs.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Right there with you now waiting for the Fedx guy to drop my second body off the 7r. I'll have both and use them in different situations. The vertical grip is nice Chuck you may like it handholding. I have one not sure I'll get a second one. The cam is a little small for handholding like by a 1/2 or in or so tall. The grip makes it a touch tall but I think a good choice. Maybe walk in a store and try it first.

turtle

After only a handful of shots, I am already confident this has been a very good buy. Checked out dynamic range and shadow recovery at it still looks workable two to three stops beyond where the 5D III would have fallen apart.

Its dead easy to use too. With a lens attached, shutter noise is not that bad and, well, its everything I'd hoped it would be. I am of the opinion that the regular A7 seems likely to be the steal between the two, if you are not printing 36" plus.

How can the likes of the D600 and 6D not be in serious trouble now, when most users are going to be travel/general users, who thought they had to get a DSLR to get serious image quality? Few use the AF seriously (for sports, kids etc), or even know how to set it up. I wonder if the Alphas will all but kill off DSLR sales in this segment....

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Right there with you now waiting for the Fedx guy to drop my second body off the 7r. I'll have both and use them in different situations. The vertical grip is nice Chuck you may like it handholding. I have one not sure I'll get a second one. The cam is a little small for handholding like by a 1/2 or in or so tall. The grip makes it a touch tall but I think a good choice. Maybe walk in a store and try it first.
Absolutely great advice Guy. I bought the grip the day I bought the camera. I like it much better with grip than without. Also nice to not miss a shot due to battery #1 going dead. The A7R at least really does eat batteries. Price we pay for full frame goodness. For me, using all old film camera prime lenses, I could get by without a grip with my Leica glass, but the Contax-Zeiss and Canon FD all really need the grip and extra weight for the right balance in my hand.

Twenty days into the A7R and I am still pealing back the onion discovering goodies. It is an amazing camera system. Kind of reminds me of the early days with the DMR Guy, just not quite as slippery or expensive a slope :ROTFL:

fotografz

I gotta tell you guys, a wrist strap makes a world of difference hand holding this camera.

I had couple laying around I used to use on my M cameras, so I tried it. The way the A7's grip is designed makes the Leica style wrist strap work better than it did on the Ms.

Lots of good knock-offs around that are less expensive than the Leica branded one.

I don't normally prattle on about stuff like wrist straps, but in this case it significantly alters working with this specific camera.

Not everything that makes shooting better has to cost an arm and leg :thumbs:

- Marc

Ron Pfister

+1 regarding wrist straps, Marc! I've been using OP/TECH wrist straps for all my cams for a while now.

This is the one I'm using with the A7R and my NEXen:

OP/TECH USA Cam Strap - QD

And this one with DSLRs:

OP/TECH USA SLR Wrist Strap

What I particularly like about both of them is that you can use the buckle(s) to attach an optional shoulder strap:

OP/TECH USA Compact Strap Trio

Highly recommended!

Edit: another feature I like is that the buckles allow you to quickly easily remove the strap when shooting from a tripod in windy conditions, thus minimizing vibrations.

fotografz

Frankly I find nothing wrong with this cam that are not familiar with any other cam on the market. Just a matter what work arounds you need to employ. Not on this forum but people need to just get on with it and stop ****ing whining. I just spent probably 7 grand to get in this system. I'm ignoring the whining. There is not a shot I can't accomplish without a little extra work.Oh I forgot people don't like work. This camera will produce but just like the other 36 mpx sensors there are walls you need to get through and a lot of care to accomplish them. People forget the D800e release and I can't get sharp images. There is no difference here. I'm going to go make money with mine and enjoy its extra features I never had.

Oh and Merry Christmas. Now go shoot Grinch has spoken. LOL

I won't be grumpy in 10 minutes. ROTFLMAO
Yeah, what's happened to the MacGuver spirit in photography? Hell, I have to figure out some work around or solve some other problem almost every day I'm in the studio or on location.

Guy, some of us should elaborate on the "get on with it" aspect and how experience often solves seemingly insurmountable issues ...especially you ;)

I used to shoot stills for test TV commercials using a technique I invented to cut costs compared to video taping them ... subjects would go through the action sequence and I'd fire off still frames at certain intervals. We would then import each take into one large layered file to pin register each shot to the other so the post production editor could animate them (like a cartoon). I quickly discovered that even the act of gently pressing the shutter button on a DSLR that was on a tightly locked down, sand bagged Gitzo 500, made the stationary background jump around like crazy ... on a 12 meg camera! A lesson I never forgot.

If anyone has ever been on a motion shoot, when the camera is rolling NO ONE can move or walk around. For one shoot we had to rent the big Sony padded sound stage in LA to avoid any sound created motion on a pool of water for a Lincoln commercial I created.

Want stringent? Try shooting a Multi-Shot MFD camera where the sensor is shifting one pixel for each color. Even with mirror up and a leaf shutter ... it still could abort the shoot if the slightest motion was detected.

This isn't to say we want that for this little camera, but it is little only in physical size ... it has an unforgiving 36 meg sensor, and we have to experiment to find the correct adapter/support system, and the best lenses for the best results. Our collective experience will grow as we get into using it, and all will benefit.

I've since discoved that this is a killer studio camera when used with lighting ... flash duration makes shutter speeds or sync speed almost irrelevant. What makes it killer in studio (with or without strobes) is the Manual Focusing system and EVF. Mag the view 14X for critical focus ... and you can also see the DOF via the focus peaking ... (look through the viewfinder with the lens wide open and then stop down while watching the focus peaking to see what I mean.)

The next lens I may try is the Nikon 85/2.8 PCE Macro to do table top ... love that lens! Pretty sure it can stand up to 36 meg if care is used. Hope the rental guys start stocking adapters for this camera so we can use all the fab stuff they already stock (hint, hint :rolleyes:). Anyone that has that lens with a A7R, I'd greatly appreciate any feed-back!

I still suspect that Sony's adapters mitigate any issues with long lenses but I have to test that further using different combinations of TriPods, Heads, and QR systems ... of which I have many.

Merry Christmas all ...

- Marc