Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: So Why did you buy the A7/R???

Post Thanks / Like

So Why did you buy the A7/R???

I think this obvious question is worth asking, because it will give an idea as to the pull this camera system has. With the A7R - the big seller - we all think the 36MP has been the big pull, but has it? Me first:

1. Dynamic Range (I am doing a lot of night work and the 5D III banding issue is no longer tolerable. Dfine is standard workflow). I struggled over the A7 or A7R decision and went for the latter when I realised noise would be better controlled after downsampling vs the native 24 MP file of the A7.

2. EVF (I have some eye issues, shoot into the sun a lot, and don't want to be looking at the sun through an optical finder. Dislike rear LCDs for shooting).

3. Lack small, portable colour system (Have 5D III and Monochrom).

4. Resolution (36MP will be a nice boost over 22mp for those 30+ inch prints)

Cost (The pricing of bodies means I can likely remain in the game in future generations. The same cannot be said of Leica M or even Canon. I think their pricing has gone nuts lately and their high MP bodies may have monstrous prices. Hell, even the 5D III sells for about GBP 2400 today!). I may retain one film M, those lenses that work well on the A7R and sell out of Leica M all together. They have not produced any modestly priced M mount cameras and GBP 5000 is the starting point. Its therefore a dead system for me. In this regard, I feel very disappointed in Leica.
    Last edited by turtle; 21st December 2013 at 03:07.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: So Why did you buy the A7/R???

I bought it because I wanted a relatively affordable system that was small, compact, and gave me IQ above what the other mirrorless systems could offer me. I wanted to be able to buy two bodies and not have to look over my shoulder before I whipped a camera out as well. I'm not getting rid of the M9-P as I still love the color and look I get from it though. I will just use it more for my personal camera - I do still love a rangefinder but I think shooting a mirrorless manually is just as easy.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

My motivation: IQ comparable to the D800E in a much smaller package, plus being able to use those of my M-mount lenses that work well with the A7R. As it turns out, I'm so far mostly using SLR-lenses with the A7R (Leica-R and Zeiss C/Y, ZF.2), but the size and weight advantage is absolutely still there. And the focusing experience is *far* better than with the D800E, which was another motivating factor.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The A7R (has)

-a huge shutter lag.

-(is) unlikely to have 14 bit RAW files.

-a shutter that vibrates uncontrollably.

-super expensive Leica lenses are terrible on it.

All this just exceeded my expectations.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your constructive input, Vivek! I had a feeling you wouldn't let us down…
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, well you've not answered the question and threaten to derail the thread at the beginning, which isn't very nice of you
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Pfister View Post
    Thanks for your constructive input, Vivek! I had a feeling you wouldn't let us down…
    How useful are your comments on others' with mischaracterization is for you to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Vivek, well you've not answered the question and threaten to derail the thread at the beginning, which isn't very nice of you
    Turtle, Since you seem to be new to Sony, this comes as a shock.

What I say is all true and within expectations (in fact, exceeds expectations) given the history of NEX and how the E mount evolved to a FF mount- first video cams- several of them and a compact fixed lens cam (RX1) and all the clamoring and expectations for a FF NEX.

Check out a few previous threads on these subjects.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The A7R (has)

-a huge shutter lag.

Hey there are two ways to skin a cat. Buy them both
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    The A7R (has)

-a huge shutter lag.

Btw those are all firmware updates. Except the Leica of course
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Btw those are all firmware updates. Except the Leica of course
    Some are and it will add to the list of far exceeding the expectations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have a answer to this question and I'm still trying to justify it. I'm just not sure who too. my baseball bat wife or me. LOL

Just kidding she knows I'm nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy i like to cite you: Because we are "gear sluts"!! Love that expression.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We most certainly are and I say that with great affection to our members. Lol

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I am still waiting to get the A7r. My main interests are:

1) to use Leica R lenses (19/35/60/100APO/180APO)
    2) to use Contax G lenses (of course, I am given up the idea of using the wide angle G21 and G28)
    3) to use Leica M lenses, mainly fast normal and tele lenses (Zeiss ZM 50/1,5, 135APO)

What I like about A7r are:
    1) Compact size
    2) EVF manual focus accuracy
    3) Sony 36MP sensor

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the A7r to let me make quasi-MF photos with a small camera. Does it succeed? Not really but nothing else does either (e.g. Leica M240). The A7r is not a bad camera. I enjoy taking pictures with it and have found one lens (the 90mm Apo 'cron) that I love on it. Wish I could find a 50'ish lens that works as well. Sadly, Tim's samples and others from the FE55 don't help any.

This is a great little toy that will be here and gone within a gnat's life span. Interesting how it makes people emotional. That means it must be addressing a needy market. Can't wait to see what it all leads to.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bouught the A7R last night as the next step in the process of evaluating the two new Sony full frames. A couple of weeks ago I rented the A7. I was pretty satisfied with the performance in the areas that I thought were question marks (low light AF and high ISO noise). But recently I read several threads by folks who had tried both cameras saying that the CDAF of the A7R was actually more accurate than the A7 AF in low light. Since I couldn't get enough proof one way or the other on this question I decided to answer it myself. I'll compare my results with the A7R to what I found with the A7. If it's the same or better than the A7 I'll keep it. If it's worse I'll trade it in for the A7. Either way I think these two cameras are pretty exciting new products. I think the end of the DSLR is now about three years away. I expect the real Canon and Nikon mirrorless cameras will appear in 2015.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought it because it's about the same size and weight as a good quality m43 with a whole lot more resolution and finer gradation of tones. I've taken numerous pictures with my very excellent OMD-EM5 and often wished for just a little bit more from its sensor.

It will take my Canon TS/E lenses. Architectural shots always seem to have a better feel with higher resolution. (See: technical camera, Phase One...)

It's EVF, focus peaking, and all things to do with manual focusing are superior to anything I've ever used.

It is way cheaper than a Leica in every category and superior in performance in almost every way.

I wish my Leica were invisible----my Sony is. I like that the Sony gear costs less. And it's not because I'm unwilling to spend money on my avocation.

If my Leica gets damaged and needs a serious service, it will cost an arm and a leg to get repaired and be out of service for months. Excepting a CLA, my Sony costs less than a Leica servicing.... See above.

I got a little spooked by all this shutter shake thing and then I thought about it and looked at some of my results to understand what this camera can do. I will shoot around it. I realized that some reviewers are searching mightily to find the warts, it attracts attention (and subscriptions?) Maintain a reasonable perspective and take pictures!

Higher resolution cameras make you work a little harder to realize their potential. I don't mind the extra work.

Sony has hit home runs with its 35 and 55 native lenses. That bodes well for future lens development.

We live in a wonderful time of affordable high quality camera gear.

Fred

www.fredmuellerphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am about to buy one.

Main motivation: My beloved old school MFDB is ISO50 only. 36MP with really good ISO800 (and even above) for a such a low price is a very good addition to my kit.
    I am planing to use it for nodal point stitching with a ZM Planar 2.0/50mm lens and for flat stitching with a Canon 24 TSE.
    I don't think I will buy more lenses for this camera (but am planing to use my Contax 645 lenses on it... just for fun, of course).

Post Thanks / Like

I used the A7r yesterday; I did not find the shutter lag objectionable, and wondered whether how much of the sounds occur after the exposure is made. Was it Vivek who cited some shutter lag stats; I could not find these when posting this. If someone knows these, perhaps they could be linked here.

I grew up on shooting dance and theatre professionally using a pair of Nikon F Photomic head bodies (during dress rehearsals; those bodies had serious shutter sounds), and with effective film speeds being a fraction of what they are now, you had to anticipate the still points in constantly moving performances to 'freeze' the action (top of a kick, for example). And the body learns this in time. Now, it may be that the A7r has much more significant shutter lag than the Nikon F2, of course, and I may not be remembering accurately.

I am inclining to the A7, for the quieter shutter and its electronic first curtain, faster flash sync, and the fact that 24MP is enough for my present needs. I welcome jfirneno's impressions of both in these regards. The difference in price is not a consideration; I seem to recall that I paid $5,500 for a D3s only a few years ago!

Post Thanks / Like

The reason I asked the question was because I figured that Sony had done just what a previous member mentioned, which is used this platform to pull in people otherwise committed to other platforms. Some have modern Nikon lenses and some old Canon FD... a bit of Leica glass and the list goes on. However, with 36 MP, light weight and various other features, they have managed to tap into the customer base of other manufacturers. With the A7, they have punched right into the 6D/D610 market, with same price, lower bulk. Should they follow though and improve upon the 7 series camera, they may snag these customers for good. At the moment, I do not see that Nikon or Canon is doing anything to retain the same people.

Sure the Alpha 7 cameras have some flaws, but lets not pretend other systems don't. I can sit here and tell every that my Leica MM shoots 'perfect frames' all day long between f5.6 and F11 with any of my lenses. But it has no EVF. The metering is not great. It costs a fortune, it locks up periodically, highlight clipping is a constant worry and the list goes on.

Vivek has been very vocal in his disappointment, but this is not the complete story. Understanding that disappointment is all the more difficult because he has still not responded to the original post despite three or more posts.

Most photographers worth their salt have always had to work around issues with their camera systems, whether it be weight, dynamic range, cost. bulk, corner sharpness or some other issue. Sony has their own mix of issues, but what is clear is that they offer a different formula to what is out there now. I'll make my own mind up further down the road, but right now I am much more interested on what is good about the system that will give me forwards momentum that I cannot find elsewhere, rather than to whine about imperfections. I mean, the D800 had green cast and left focus issues, the 5D III had DR deficiencies and was too damn expensive, the 24-70 II was too expensive and made of plastic, the Leica 50 Lux asph was unavailable for years, the D600 had oil issues... oh, and some view cameras wobbled at full extension, some had limited bellows mobility when compressed... the list goes on: its nothing new so get over it! Magic bullet chasing and being a gear head that professes to be one camera short of greatness are the same thing.

For me, personally, Sony has got my full attention. If they keep moving in this direction... a direction which has pulled them right into the mainstream, interesting things might happen. Money making corporations are not stupid, or at least not for long. Sony DSLR were fringe, but the A7s have brought them right into the kit bags of the users of the big names from what I can see. Some are hopping up from M4/3, some are committed to Nikon or Canon FF. This is something big from an industry perspective, I think... and whatever happens, I am sure the A7R will produce some spectacular images for me if I do my part.

Its still not as exciting as the Panasonic GM-1 though

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

for around 2K I get a better walk around camera to use my M lenses for colour happy snaps than Leica's first CMOS chipped offering - IOW a no brainer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7R simply for the no AA filter option. If the A7 had no AA, I would have done the same thing. None of my current cameras have it, and I've kind of gotten used to it.

If the question was why did I buy either, then size, EVF, and something I can have with me all the time.

AND, it is always nice to buy a FF body for 2K, it's kind of like dollar-cost averaging with stocks. A few more of these, and the price of the Phase back and tech lenses will average out to acceptable levels

Post Thanks / Like

For my needs it is the travel solution I was waiting for. Small, portable, high IQ, reasonably versatile and robust, good for landscape, reportage, candid, street. And lastly AF as well as MF implementation are done quite impressively, better than with other mirrorless systems.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought it because, simply put, it is the best go-anywhere-anytime camera in the world. Its FF sensor supersedes that of the NEX 7, the previous champ IMHO.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm just wondering how many folks who rushed to jump on the D800 bandwagon will now be jumping on the A7R?

Personally, I bought in to the D800 and then decided that it wasn't for me. However, the lens flexibility of the A7R surely does look compelling. I'm sitting out for a couple of months until I need (want?) such a camera but it certainly looks like Sony are on to a winner.

Loving my RX1R in the meantime. My D600 still has me snoozing. The Df at least has some mojo.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I'm just wondering how many folks who rushed to jump on the D800 bandwagon will now be jumping on the A7R?

Personally, I bought in to the D800 and then decided that it wasn't for me. However, the lens flexibility of the A7R surely does look compelling. I'm sitting out for a couple of months until I need (want?) such a camera but it certainly looks like Sony are on to a winner.

Loving my RX1R in the meantime. My D600 still has me snoozing. The Df at least has some mojo.
    The A7(r) buy is a head, the Df a heart decision. I got both and they share some of the lovely MF Nikkors ai/ais.

Post Thanks / Like

I had waited far too long for Canon to come out with a successor to the 1Ds Mark lll and compete with the Nikon D800e. Now I have my Canon glass and that nice 38 MP Sony sensor.
    J. Paul

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

lens selection, including the FE zeiss set; no AA filter, EFV, size, great manual focus, sensor and color rendering
    and fotografz likes it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just ordered the A7, not the R. I first rented the A7 and 35/2.8 also a NEX to Leica M mount to use my Zeiss ZM 50/2 and 85/4. The results to me were excellent.

36MP to me is overkill and IMHO for all the extra work to get the most out of a FF 36MP camera is not worth it. Nothing to do with money. I would still rather shot my Sinai arTec with my outdated Leaf Aptus 33MP back which btw smoked my D800e in terms of raw IQ.

Guy, yep a lot of the A7r issues are FW fixable, yet Sony is note known for there timely FW upgrades. Lastly even though Sony claims 14bit raw files, they really aren't Sony uses some kind of lossy compression. Just compare the file size from the D800 and the A7r.

Either way both excellent cameras just personal choice. If I go to a FF 36mp camera, I am going to wait for Sony to introduce a updated version of the A99.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually bought them both. I will compare them at some point

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

36.2 Megapixels
    Can use my Canon lenses
    Easily manual focus (which was very difficult to do accurately on the Nikon D800, I previously owned)
    Tilting LCD can be handy when shooting from a low position
    Canon has not released or even announced a higher (than 22) megapixel camera. (If they announced it, I would have probably waited)
    I rarely do any fast action shooting, so the low frame rate is OK. besides I have the Canon 5D3 if I need something a bit faster.
    I could not adapt my Canon lenses to the Nikon. (Wanted to use the MPE65 1x-5x macro, since 36MP effectively gets me even closer than 22MP)
    Steve's gear Sony A7r2, A7r, 55mm 1.5, 35mm 2.8, 70-200, 90mm macro; Canon 24-105, 17mmTSE, 14mm II, 2.8, 100mm macro IS, MPE65mm 1-5x macro, 300mm 2.8IS, Zeiss 21mm, Metabones EF-E mount adapter, DJI S1000 Octocopter with custom gimbal.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are killing me, I want one

Post Thanks / Like

Go for it! They're brilliant pieces of kit!

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I shall be very, very interested in your comparisons of the two models when you get around to it. I am especially interested in the strength of the AA filter on the A7; as mentioned above, I prefer the MP count of this body for my work.

And if you do end up preferring the 7r, please PM me if you want to sell the A7: I have to source a US or Canada model, for the 60/30/24p video modes; the A7 is actually less expensive here in Australia than in the US, but Sony 'respect' the NTSC/PAL regions and, as a result, the locally available A7 and A7r bodies are 50/25fps, which will not mesh with my other cameras (two G7s, and a GX1, all US-sourced).

The back story that I am in no hurry, because I have agreed to wait to buy one of these: the boss (Olivia, aka the 'financial controller'!) has stipulated that the book I am working on must get to a certain point before I "distract" myself with a new camera! I imagine it must be a bit like that in your house!

Cheers, KL

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    for around 2K I get a better walk around camera to use my M lenses for colour happy snaps than Leica's first CMOS chipped offering - IOW a no brainer.
    BINGQ!

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a bit different perspective on "Why Did I Buy?"

In my "Conflicted" thread are all my rambling musings about the new A7/A7R ... but the truth be told, it was a done deal the minute they announced the camera. Not only did I pre-order an A7R, I pre-paid for it before even touching it (which I NEVER do).

At the very least I got it just to send a message to all the other camera makers to ... wake the fukg up!

The price/performance ratio makes that possible ... it is a relatively low risk deal.

I think some "Pro" reviewers have a deep-seated, back of the mind rumbling terror of what this little camera may represent to the very thing that keeps them going: micro-measuring the minute differences between incestuous manufacturer's offerings. How can they be forthright, when it will unseat hard earned relationships with competitors to this upstart that dares deliver such a price/performance ratio? Fault finding is an easy task with just about anything made by man ... heighten the "Can't Do" minimize the "Can Do" ... diminish and protect. Others may think otherwise, but to me it is painfully obvious. Embarrassing actually.

If the D800 was an after-shock to the MFD industry, this is an actual Earthquake to the 35mm world. Let's face it, Canon/Nikon could have done it, and Leica should have ... but they didn't. Thus empires decay and new ones arise (unless they wake the fukg up!).

Let me be clear ... despite my enthusiasm, I'm no Sony "Fanboy." If anything, I'm a Leica Fanboy, or at least I was. To me, the logic of buying is dictated by art and practical need ... I'm a fan of anything that advances those causes.

So, I tend to look at any new equipment idea and creatively think ... what can I do with this? ... not ... "what can't I do with this?"

I do not have Unicorn expectations and Cotton Candy dreams that ANY camera will ever fulfill all of my creative musings and related technical requirements in the service of my eclectic photographic explorations. If I CAN think of enough things to do with a piece of gear that may expand the creative possibilities, and I have the money, I add it.

There are a LOT of things I CAN DO with this camera, and the cost is reasonable compared to almost anything else with similar performance. Like most of us, once I get something new, I almost always discover other things it CAN DO I didn't initially think of ... which enhances the Price/Performance Ratio even more.

I can almost see the quivering lower lip of those with dashed expectations. "My beloved M50mm has mushy corners, , Oh, what will I ever do". BooHoo, I can't use my R280mm on it at 1/30th ... I'm so outraged." It is almost comical.

It is the collective of these disappointments that gets the "Can't Do" ball rolling ... meanwhile, people are posting hundreds of images that defy it all.

To be sure this is just the start ...

Me? I'm buying some smaller camera bags

- Marc
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting thread.

I didn't buy the A7/A7r. Yet. I'm intrigued by these cameras, but I'm not convinced that this first round is really worth the money yet. Too many glitches, not enough native lenses yet, so-so and unknown performance with my M-mount lenses.

What would I buy it for? The obvious answer: that big sensor and a good viewfinder in a small package—the ability to make splendid photographs.

That last is really the critical part. If a camera enables/motivates you to make great photographs, it's the right tool for the job. Big sensor or not, lotsa features or none, that's the thing that makes the difference. I suspect the A7/A7r will do that for some folks; I've not bought yet because I haven't yet been convinced it will do that for me.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frankly I find nothing wrong with this cam that are not familiar with any other cam on the market. Just a matter what work arounds you need to employ. Not on this forum but people need to just get on with it and stop ****ing whining. I just spent probably 7 grand to get in this system. I'm ignoring the whining. There is not a shot I can't accomplish without a little extra work. Oh I forgot people don't like work. This camera will produce but just like the other 36 mpx sensors there are walls you need to get through and a lot of care to accomplish them. People forget the D800e release and I can't get sharp images. There is no difference here. I'm going to go make money with mine and enjoy its extra features I never had.

Oh and Merry Christmas. Now go shoot Grinch has spoken. LOL

I won't be grumpy in 10 minutes. ROTFLMAO

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

people need to just get on with it and stop ****ing whining.

Oh and Merry Christmas. Now go shoot Grinch has spoken. LOL

ROTFLMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I was short one espresso this morning I get grumpy. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I've been looking to replace the 5d2 as a backup camera to my Rm3d / IQ260 for architectural work. The Sony works beautifully with my TS-Es via the Metabones. It's DR and detail beat the hell out of the Canon. As I continue to compare it to my MFDB system, I would feel rather confident shooting some assignments with just the little A7r. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether I'll ever be able to tether into C1 Pro???

Looking good....

A7r

M Line 2 / IQ260

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just took the plunge yesterday. I've had very good EOS-based glass sitting around doing not much since I moved over to a tech camera. Zeiss 21 and 35, Canon 90 ts and the 70-200f4/is. I will add the Sony/Zeiss 35 FE so I can have a small kit.

So for me:
    Essentially uncompromised image quality.

Virtually all the DSLR benefits* with the added feature of morphing to a small kit if desired (with smaller dedicated lenses)

Accepts glass I have, plus a whole host of other options!

I no longer have any interest in a DSLR. Although I think I'm sending my 5D II out for an IR conversion

*With the exception of reaction time, which I don't need.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    I've been looking to replace the 5d2 as a backup camera to my Rm3d / IQ260 for architectural work. The Sony works beautifully with my TS-Es via the Metabones. It's DR and detail beat the hell out of the Canon. As I continue to compare it to my MFDB system, I would feel rather confident shooting some assignments with just the little A7r. The only thing I'm concerned about is whether I'll ever be able to tether into C1 Pro???

Looking good....

A7r

M Line 2 / IQ260
    Looks good Chris and C1 is my only worry about tethered. I heard LR can sort of do it. I think if you setup a hot folder in C1 it may work. I just have not got around to it yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought the A7R because an Alpa with a Credo 80 didn't shoot good enough video

Seriously, the video was a big factor for me, along with using my glass collection, plus the size/wight considerations. I'm not getting any younger and i just can't deal with a twenty+ pound camera bag ever again working solo. Leica gear has become so expensive the bang for the buck just isn't there for me anymore, and the Sony gets the job done for me with ease. I love my 5D III for what it does well, but honestly it is going on the block to be replaced by a second Sony. As good as it is, I am finding the Sony better for my needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Right there with you now waiting for the Fedx guy to drop my second body off the 7r. I'll have both and use them in different situations. The vertical grip is nice Chuck you may like it handholding. I have one not sure I'll get a second one. The cam is a little small for handholding like by a 1/2 or in or so tall. The grip makes it a touch tall but I think a good choice. Maybe walk in a store and try it first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    I no longer have any interest in a DSLR. Although I think I'm sending my 5D II out for an IR conversion
    That's been going through my mind, too...

Post Thanks / Like

After only a handful of shots, I am already confident this has been a very good buy. Checked out dynamic range and shadow recovery at it still looks workable two to three stops beyond where the 5D III would have fallen apart.

Its dead easy to use too. With a lens attached, shutter noise is not that bad and, well, its everything I'd hoped it would be. I am of the opinion that the regular A7 seems likely to be the steal between the two, if you are not printing 36" plus.

How can the likes of the D600 and 6D not be in serious trouble now, when most users are going to be travel/general users, who thought they had to get a DSLR to get serious image quality? Few use the AF seriously (for sports, kids etc), or even know how to set it up. I wonder if the Alphas will all but kill off DSLR sales in this segment....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Right there with you now waiting for the Fedx guy to drop my second body off the 7r. I'll have both and use them in different situations. The vertical grip is nice Chuck you may like it handholding. I have one not sure I'll get a second one. The cam is a little small for handholding like by a 1/2 or in or so tall. The grip makes it a touch tall but I think a good choice. Maybe walk in a store and try it first.
    Absolutely great advice Guy. I bought the grip the day I bought the camera. I like it much better with grip than without. Also nice to not miss a shot due to battery #1 going dead. The A7R at least really does eat batteries. Price we pay for full frame goodness. For me, using all old film camera prime lenses, I could get by without a grip with my Leica glass, but the Contax-Zeiss and Canon FD all really need the grip and extra weight for the right balance in my hand.

Twenty days into the A7R and I am still pealing back the onion discovering goodies. It is an amazing camera system. Kind of reminds me of the early days with the DMR Guy, just not quite as slippery or expensive a slope

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I gotta tell you guys, a wrist strap makes a world of difference hand holding this camera.

I had couple laying around I used to use on my M cameras, so I tried it. The way the A7's grip is designed makes the Leica style wrist strap work better than it did on the Ms.

Lots of good knock-offs around that are less expensive than the Leica branded one.

I don't normally prattle on about stuff like wrist straps, but in this case it significantly alters working with this specific camera.

Not everything that makes shooting better has to cost an arm and leg

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

+1 regarding wrist straps, Marc! I've been using OP/TECH wrist straps for all my cams for a while now.

This is the one I'm using with the A7R and my NEXen:

OP/TECH USA Cam Strap - QD

And this one with DSLRs:

OP/TECH USA SLR Wrist Strap

What I particularly like about both of them is that you can use the buckle(s) to attach an optional shoulder strap:

OP/TECH USA Compact Strap Trio

Highly recommended!

Edit: another feature I like is that the buckles allow you to quickly easily remove the strap when shooting from a tripod in windy conditions, thus minimizing vibrations.