The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help need flash

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So I do need a portable flash for the 7 and 7R. I could buy the Sony unit but was wondering what Metz or other brand is designed for these new breeds.

V

Vivek

This is a bit of problem area with Sony at the moment, Guy.

I would strongly suggest that get one of the tiny HVL-F20AM (new one with the correct foot). This is quite useful despite its size and lack of juice.

I do not know about the others since Sony changed the flash mount with the NEX-6 and the A99.

Ron Pfister

I've got the HVL-F20AM as well (old version for NEX-7), and I'm quite happy with it. The flash metering on the NEX-7 is very poor, though. Vivek, has this improved with the A7R? I'm waiting for the Sony hotshoe adapter to arrive so i can use the flash on the A7R.

Having said that, any flash should work with the current hotshoe design, but the functionality will obviously be restricted. But if the A7R is anything like the NEX-7 in terms of flash metering, you may as well adjust flash power manually...

V

Vivek

I've got the HVL-F20AM as well (old version for NEX-7), and I'm quite happy with it. The flash metering on the NEX-7 is very poor, though. Vivek, has this improved with the A7R? I'm waiting for the Sony hotshoe adapter to arrive so i can use the flash on the A7R.
Ron,

This is the way I set up the flash on NEX and the A7R (I have the flash adapter for the new foot), in general.

1. Rear curtain.

2. Metering is always center weighted (for any and every shot, regardless of flash).

3. Flash compensation is brought up and ready to use.

I find the A7R + HVL-F20AM working well in the fill flash mode. Compared to the NEX-7 (terrible camera, in my hands), the A7R is better by several orders of magnitude, particularly when it comes to flash and exposures.

Having been familiar with Nikon's iTTL, I think Sony's is not far behind.

Guy Mancuso

Yea this one is a tough one as the info is weak. I'm going to research it there is one for around 350 dollars that I was looking at. Going on computer now to research better. IPad makes it too hard.

BTW I'm all in and ordering a 7 too. MY D800 sold. Figure have both for different needs . A7 is my AF cam for PR and A7r replaces the D800 for advertising and landscape work. Bottom line a d600 and D800e package in a different skin . I like the files better. Okay off to order the A7 and flash search

iiiNelson

Yea this one is a tough one as the info is weak. I'm going to research it there is one for around 350 dollars that I was looking at. Going on computer now to research better. IPad makes it too hard.

BTW I'm all in and ordering a 7 too. MY D800 sold. Figure have both for different needs . A7 is my AF cam for PR and A7r replaces the D800 for advertising and landscape work. Bottom line a d600 and D800e package in a different skin . I like the files better. Okay off to order the A7 and flash search
Congrats on both cameras... I did the same thing with both the A7 and A7r.

vjbelle

I would also consider selling my 800e but am really worried about attaching a 2 or 3lb lens on the little A7r. The Nikon is built for those lenses....

Victor

Godfrey

While I have a dedicated flash unit for Olympus-Panasonic bodies, I find I mostly just fit a non-dedicated RF trigger and drive my usual collection of simple, manual flash units. I only take advantage of the dedicated flash unit when I want HSS for daylight fill at shorter exposure times.

Same strategy should work fine for the Sony A7, no?

G

V

Vivek

BTW, Guy, avoid the newest Sony flash, HVL-60 something. It is beset with overheating problems and should be replaced soon.

Guy Mancuso

Not when your running around doing grip and grin crap just not convenient for me at least. Many times I have a dedicated remote cord. I don't really need ttl though and must have manual override with power control

jagsiva

Guy, I just got a small flash w/manual to use as an optical trigger, and use my normal flashes as strobes. Never liked using a flash on the camera and any thing decent power to cover FF will be a monster on A7R.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
We need Marc to chime in here because he is really versed in Sony flash, but I'll tell you that I use the HVL-20. It can be used alone, or it can become the commander for my HVL-43 and HVL-60 flashes used remotely. It fits in a small bag almost un-noticed. The 43 would work on the A7/A7r body only, but I find my 60 to be too top heavy for me to use directly on the A7r without the grip. I always set FEC at -1 on both of my Sony's (A7r and A99) for fill flash. The beauty of the HVL-20 is that it can be flipped down when not in use. You can meter for the background in M mode, then flip it up and take the shot (flipping it up turns it on), and you get a natural looking fill.

Guy Mancuso

I might just grab that as a additional one . Not a bad idea since i lost my built in frommy Nikon which I actually used at times. Than get a bigger one as well

cunim

Which flashes automatically set the EVF exposure preview to off and then back on when the flash is inactive? Drives me nuts that you cannot store EVF preview setting with a custom exposure mode (I have C2 set for on camera flash) and on a customizable button. Have to dig through menus again and again.