Site Sponsors

Thread: Phase detection support?

Post Thanks / Like

Phase detection support?

I need a zoom lens for nature photography with my Sony A7 and I was wondering if any of Sony's big zooms support the 117 points phase detection AF. I was thinking of trading my e-mount tamron 18-200mm for a Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 (18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Zoom Lens - SEL18200LE Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US) or a 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 (http://store.sony.com/55-210mm-f-4.5...pha-a7-Cameras). Does anyonw know if either of these support the 117 points phase detection AF?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Phase detection support?

New E-mount lens firmware is also available that enables Fast Hybrid AF support for the NEX-5R/6 cameras. This is for the SEL30M35 and SEL50F18 lens models. There is also a firmware update available for the SEL18200LE lens. The lens must be mailed to Sony for installation. Please see our esupport site for more details.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive looked everywhere and I could not find an answer. If I buy a 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 right now would it support the A7s 117 points phase detection AF?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    New E-mount lens firmware is also available that enables Fast Hybrid AF support for the NEX-5R/6 cameras. This is for the SEL30M35 and SEL50F18 lens models. There is also a firmware update available for the SEL18200LE lens. The lens must be mailed to Sony for installation. Please see our esupport site for more details.

real?? I updated my e mount lens just by attaching it to my NEX and applying updates. It did not require me to send the lens to Sony that I am aware of?