The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase detection support?

Rawfa

I need a zoom lens for nature photography with my Sony A7 and I was wondering if any of Sony's big zooms support the 117 points phase detection AF. I was thinking of trading my e-mount tamron 18-200mm for a Sony 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 (18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Zoom Lens - SEL18200LE Review | Sony Store U.S. - Sony US) or a 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 (http://store.sony.com/55-210mm-f-4....27-SEL55210/cat-27-catid-All-Alpha-a7-Cameras). Does anyonw know if either of these support the 117 points phase detection AF?

New E-mount lens firmware is also available that enables Fast Hybrid AF support for the NEX-5R/6 cameras. This is for the SEL30M35 and SEL50F18 lens models. There is also a firmware update available for the SEL18200LE lens. The lens must be mailed to Sony for installation. Please see our esupport site for more details.

Rawfa

I´ve looked everywhere and I could not find an answer. If I buy a 55-210mm f/4.5-6.3 right now would it support the A7´s 117 points phase detection AF?

mazor

New E-mount lens firmware is also available that enables Fast Hybrid AF support for the NEX-5R/6 cameras. This is for the SEL30M35 and SEL50F18 lens models. There is also a firmware update available for the SEL18200LE lens. The lens must be mailed to Sony for installation. Please see our esupport site for more details.

real?? I updated my e mount lens just by attaching it to my NEX and applying updates. It did not require me to send the lens to Sony that I am aware of?