The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R from the opposite direction

V

Vivek

Hi Lou,

The name is MINOLTA M-ROKKOR 90MM 1:4, LENS MADE IN JAPAN, 2007844 (Not the very best sample one could find. This (and the 40/2) came with a CL I bought, years ago).

Thank you and best wishes to you and yours as well. :)

Rich M

I dont own a A//A7r but I have some very good experience with some Pentax limited on the K5IIs. These lenses would fit the A7 well in size too.
31/1.8, 43/1.8 are very fine lenses. 43mm on FF could be a very flexible short normal lens.
I'll agree with that……all three Pentax FA LTD primes match up well on the A7/r……31/1.8…..43/1.9…..77/1.8. I would say the only drawback of these three are the fact that because they are autofocus lenses, their throw is relatively short and the focus mechanism is not very well damped.

Rich M

Ron

I would be very interested in buying some Zeiss C/Y lenses, as I loved them on my Contax RTS's - all sold unfortunately ..

Which Adapter for Sony FE mount would you suggest for the Zeiss C/Y glass?

Thanks

Peter
Peter,

You'll hear many viewpoints on this. I have had excellent success with the Rayqual adapter and the Novoflex….pretty pricey though. I like the Novoflex because you can add on a tripod collar which helps allay fears of distorting the camera mount when putting on the heavier lenses.

Paratom

I'll agree with that……all three Pentax FA LTD primes match up well on the A7/r……31/1.8…..43/1.9…..77/1.8. I would say the only drawback of these three are the fact that because they are autofocus lenses, their throw is relatively short and the focus mechanism is not very well damped.
You are right, I didnt think of that because on the K5iis I use them AF only.

Ron Pfister

Ron

I would be very interested in buying some Zeiss C/Y lenses, as I loved them on my Contax RTS's - all sold unfortunately ..

Which Adapter for Sony FE mount would you suggest for the Zeiss C/Y glass?

Thanks

Peter
+1 on Rich's input: I would recommend the same. In my case, I have converted all my C/Y lenses to Nikon-F mount with Leitax bayonets so I can use them with all my camera bodies (Canon, Nikon, Sony) with only two adapters. I find that very convenient.

250swb

Some terrific ideas, thanks to all.

I have to say I forgot about the Zeiss C/Y option but its good to see how everybody is organising themselves using the A7R. I can feel the credit card twitching.

Steve

philip_pj

I use six CZ Contax Yashica lenses, and have them on Leitax Sony A mounts. I always felt that Sony would do well, even back in a900 days, and I always like the colour more than C/N.

Now we have a camera and dream sensor to make them work great. I am lucky enough to be able to use an LA-EA3 maker's adapter. It works fine, weighs 110 grams and I figure not changing it out often means I can hopefully keep dust down to a workable level.

One thing that is surfacing with adapters is internal reflections, some users are getting strong flare, with the sun in/near the frame. I have heard that Novoflex is best of the non-Sony adapters.

The Contax lenses have their supporters, but most people think of them as 'not quite as good' predecessors to the ZEF range. They include some outrageous manual focus zooms that would never be made today. Aficionados however love them for the low contrast organic look, lighter weight, very good focus/aperture rings and across the frame sharpness at smaller apertures. On Sony a7r they are very appealing indeed. Mine average 18 years old.

Light ones that would work well:

18/4, 25/2.8, 28/2.8, 45/2.8, 50/1.4, 85/2.8, 100/3.5, all under 300-350 grams

many are around 475-600 grams: 21/2.8, 35-70/3.4, 135/2.8, 60/2.8 macro.

More (much more) fun information here from an unlikely source of Contax fans - RED users:

Contax Zeiss Survival Guide