The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35mm RF lenses on A7r?

mdg137

As I piece together a set of lenses for my A7r, Im looking for a small(ish), light, semi-fast 35mm. I already have the CV 35mm f1.2, but Im thinking something small for when I want to travel light.

Considering the Zeiss Biogon f2 ZM, 35mm Summicron ASPH, 4th Version Summicron, maybe even CV 40mm f1.4?

Anyone using these, or have any other suggestions? Anecdotal reports seem to be all over the place, and inconsistent.

My primary consideration is sharpness/resolution, and lack of edge smearing. Vignetting and higher or lower contrast, I can deal with.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

wuffstuff

I have the Zeiss 35/2. Purple vignetting and smearing on my copy. I am selling it. Might be OK on a different camera as they are so inconsistent.

retow

The Summicron 35 asph is not acceptable it has it all, smearing, color cast, vignetting. I`d choose the excellent FE 35mm over the ones mentioned.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7792

As I piece together a set of lenses for my A7r, Im looking for a small(ish), light, semi-fast 35mm...

Im thinking something small for when I want to travel light...

My primary consideration is sharpness/resolution, and lack of edge smearing. Vignetting and higher or lower contrast, I can deal with.
Repeating myself, IMHO, the best choice at that focal length is the Sonnar T* FE 35mm F2.8 ZA native lens. It's sharp, "semi-fast", very small, and at USD 798 is a bargain compared to alternatives.

Joe

mdg137

Repeating myself, IMHO, the best choice at that focal length is the Sonnar T* FE 35mm F2.8 ZA native lens. It's sharp, "semi-fast", very small, and at USD 798 is a bargain compared to alternatives.

Joe
Agreed, and I may end up there--but my thought is to at least try to find a viable alternative-- with the intent to build a lens array that is NOT tethered to any particular camera brand/mount-- assuming that in the future, developments may allow switching or adding bodies, without the upheaval and expense of switching systems...

Ron Pfister

Agreed, and I may end up there--but my thought is to at least try to find a viable alternative-- with the intent to build a lens array that is NOT tethered to any particular camera brand/mount-- assuming that in the future, developments may allow switching or adding bodies, without the upheaval and expense of switching systems...
I'm with you on this one. I agree with Joe that the FE35 looks fantastic, but I'm sticking with my existing SLR 35s for the time being. I've used both the Elmarit-R 2.8/35 E55 and the ZF.2 2/35 with the A7R, and they both work well. The former is very compact and shows relatively complex field curvature which is easily overcome by stopping down, while the latter is a bit larger and shows some CA wide open that improves rapidly when stopping down.

If you don't mind the size, the Sigma 1.8/35 in Nikon-mount might be worth looking at, too (Nikon mount because it gives you most flexibility regarding mounting on different systems)

Luvwine

I have the A7r and two 35s: FE 35 2.8 and the CV 35 1.2. I think the CV is fully competitive with the FE. The CV us much heavier, so for hiking/landscapes, the FE goes in the bag. At infinity, the FE is better in zones B and C till F5.6, but at 5.6 and smaller, the FE loses its advantage in the corners. Before F5.6, the CV is equal or better in sharpness/contrast in the center and most of the frame. The CV is weighty, but the solidity is welcome to me for hand holding stability and it is more than two stops faster.....

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I'm using an older Leica 35mm f/2 Summicron Pre-ASPH and loving it. My Contax Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 also looks like a winner, but more testing needed with it. The 'Cron is so amazing, I have a hard time taking it off.

turtle

I think the 35 Sonnar FE is the only option. It has the added bonus of weighing only 120g.

I was not planning on switching into the A7 system, but I am increasingly of the opinion that thinning out Leica kit to pay for a switch (and having money left over) is the best bet. I'm priced out of Leica's future anyway, so why retain lenses for a system whose manufacturer cannot make a body that uses the lenses for under $7K? At least I have a future with Sony and, even though the M240 or MM may equal or even outperform the A7R in some areas, even if I only buy into alternate sony generations, I will be able to buy into Sony development for the next decade for the price of one Leica DRF body now. Switching systems will free up cash, even after the switch.

Absolute optical perfection is not necessary for most people most of the time. Heck, it was not even present in all of the Saint Ansels images, some of which were not enlarged heavily due to corner softness, or wind vibration. I was not surprised to see the Leica 50 APO Summicron, but did feel it confirmed that Leica was heading in the wrong direction (still) by concentrating on exorbitantly priced perfection rather than getting cameras and lenses into the hands of talented photographers. In the past, I think they were more practical and less elitist, but the financial success of their boutique approach cannot be argued with. The company has to survive.

Here enters the A7/R. It lacks in some areas, but is dynamite everywhere else, and for a fraction of the cost of the M240. Its the 90% solution and the one I have been waiting for, personally. I could not care less if the 35 FE Sonnar is not quite as sharp on the edge of the frame as a 35mm Cron asph/Summarit/FLE on a M240 under close inspection, because its gonna be close enough not to really matter. The total buy in for that pair is (in the UK) £2329 (Sony A7R and 35 FE) and £6300 (Leica M and Summarit). Nuff said.

Sony is going to rake in the cash from these new Alphas and will reinforce success with more R&D and great new releases. This is just the beginning. If rumour is correct and Zeiss produce an equivalent of the ZM line for the FE system, we can expect astounding edge performance, nice manual focus and far lower cost than leica glass. Even selling old Leica lenses will probably more than pay for buying in new. The only areas I see the alphas being a little weak is in street photography, with the quick release of the Leicas and the OVF.

Lots of waffle, but thought Id share where my thoughts have been going.

Last edited:

GDI

I agree that the FE 35, though I do not have it, is likely the best option for the A7r. But a good SLR lens will probably do fine.

After putzing around with all sorts of M lenses, I decided it made sense to skip most and go with SLR lenses. I have tried both the lowly (less than $300) Contax 35/2.8 Distagon and a somewhat more expensive Elmarit-R and they both seem very good on the A7r.

Some M lenses I tried are acceptable for general use if stopped down. Even a 90 Summicron has fairly poor corners on the A7r, in my experience. For me, trying to assemble an A7(r) M-compatible kit was a fool's game; I like the camera and will try to play to its strengths, either with native lenses or SLR lenses. This is the same conclusion I came to with the Fuji X-Pro, skip the dream of full M compatibility and go with the camera's strengths.

cunim

I agree that the FE 35, though I do not have it, is likely the best option for the A7r. But a good SLR lens will probably do fine.

Some M lenses I tried are acceptable for general use if stopped down. Even a 90 Summicron has fairly poor corners on the A7r, in my experience. For me, trying to assemble an A7(r) M-compatible kit was a fool's game; I like the camera and will try to play to its strengths, either with native lenses or SLR lenses. This is the same conclusion I came to with the Fuji X-Pro, skip the dream of full M compatibility and go with the camera's strengths.
I was interested in your statement about the 90 cron. I have had good results with this lens on the A7r (even wide open) and I am fussy. For example, I have yet to find a 35 that I like, including the FE35.

If there are issues with the 90 cron, I should be careful about recommending it to others. Can you give more details? Is yours an early version or the asph?

vjbelle

I was interested in your statement about the 90 cron. I have had good results with this lens on the A7r (even wide open) and I am fussy. For example, I have yet to find a 35 that I like, including the FE35.

If there are issues with the 90 cron, I should be careful about recommending it to others. Can you give more details? Is yours an early version or the asph?
Agreed..... I have the 90 Apo Summicron Asph M and find it to be outstanding on the A7r. I am also very fussy and know a good lens when I see one.....

Victor

GDI

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the lens, of course, just the combo with the A7r.

Mine is pre-Asph, and the corners are simply not up to par, IMO - particularly wide open. Maybe I expect too much, but I think I should get good sharp results with a 90mm lens even in the corners. It always seemed to perform acceptably with my M9, but I have not done a comparison since I no longer have the M9. Maybe an Asph will perform better - I won't be investigating that first hand, however.

And Cunim - are you saying that you have found no 35mm SLR lenses that are acceptable, or are you just speaking of M or the FE lenses?

hcubell

Lloyd Chambers has a new write up comparing the Sony Zeiss 35mm FE lens with the Leica 35mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH and the Zeiss ZM 35mm f/2 Biogon, all on the A7R. It's a subscription only site, but the price is a pittance for anyone thinking of buying a Leica or Zeiss lens for an A7 or A7R.

Dale Pritchett

As I piece together a set of lenses for my A7r, Im looking for a small(ish), light, semi-fast 35mm. I already have the CV 35mm f1.2, but Im thinking something small for when I want to travel light.

Considering the Zeiss Biogon f2 ZM, 35mm Summicron ASPH, 4th Version Summicron, maybe even CV 40mm f1.4?

Anyone using these, or have any other suggestions? Anecdotal reports seem to be all over the place, and inconsistent.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
This is a test of the Zeiss Biogen F/2.8 ZM using Adobe flat field correction in Lightroom.

Before http://jendale.smugmug.com/Other/Lenses/i-DmGzhKH/0/X2/DSC00903-1-X2.jpg

After http://jendale.smugmug.com/Other/Lenses/i-R8fpZnR/0/X2/DSC00903_ff-1-X2.jpg

cunim

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the lens, of course, just the combo with the A7r.

Mine is pre-Asph, and the corners are simply not up to par, IMO - particularly wide open. Maybe I expect too much, but I think I should get good sharp results with a 90mm lens even in the corners. It always seemed to perform acceptably with my M9, but I have not done a comparison since I no longer have the M9. Maybe an Asph will perform better - I won't be investigating that first hand, however.

And Cunim - are you saying that you have found no 35mm SLR lenses that are acceptable, or are you just speaking of M or the FE lenses?
Sorry, I have only tried the 35FE and ZM 35/2. The 35FE is actually pretty good but the corners smear a bit and I am sensitive to that. You might not be. I shoot longer almost all the time so it doesn't matter enough for me to get in adapters and try out SLR lenses.