The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7 1 & 2 Memory Dial Mode

ferrellmc

Guy,
The first time you set them up you should start from scratch, which basically means the first step is different; don't turn the dial to position 1 or 2. Instead set up the camera the way you want in whatever mode you want the setting to act like. For instance, if you want aperture priority, set the dial to A, and set up the camera just the way you like, including what you want the starting aperture to be, i.e. f/5.6 or whatever.

Then go through the menu as indicated in my other post.

If you are like me, you will forget some specific setting or want to change it a bit after the initial setup. That's when you would turn the mode dial to 1 or 2 initially, simply because all the other settings are where you want them already.

Hope that made sense...

I have "1" set for manual, auto iso. Essentially a hand-held position. "2" is for tripod mounted: time delay, iso 50, aperture priority.

Dave
I don't see it quite as fluid as you say. I find that I cannot save while in [1] or [2] dial modes. I have to move to another mode (MSAP) then go, as you say, to menu>camera>memory then save.

If I want to make a minor change in [1] or [2] it's not so simple. When I go to [1] or [2] then back to say, manual, the settings are not carried back to M. This is kind of a problem because in order to make a minor change I have to reenter ALL the settings then save again.

Also I wanted to setup manual flash with ambient underexposure. With underexposure it makes sense to set Live View Display setting effect OFF. That setting is not possible to save to either [1] or [2].

dchew

I don't see it quite as fluid as you say. I find that I cannot save while in [1] or [2] dial modes. I have to move to another mode (MSAP) then go, as you say, to menu>camera>memory then save.

If I want to make a minor change in [1] or [2] it's not so simple. When I go to [1] or [2] then back to say, manual, the settings are not carried back to M. This is kind of a problem because in order to make a minor change I have to reenter ALL the settings then save again.

Also I wanted to setup manual flash with ambient underexposure. With underexposure it makes sense to set Live View Display setting effect OFF. That setting is not possible to save to either [1] or [2].
Hmm. To your point, I'm not sure how you could change to a different mode (MSAP). I also tried Live View Display setting and that is indeed global. It seems there are some settings you can change the way I describe and some you cannot. Sorry for the confusion.

When you first switch into [1] or [2], it looks like you can run through four screens that show the settings that are specific to that memory position.

Dave