Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony A7 1 & 2 Memory Dial Mode

Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7 1 & 2 Memory Dial Mode

Is there a way to modify the Sony Memory 1/2 parameters or do they always have to be set up from scratch?
    Cheers

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony A7 1 & 2 Memory Dial Mode

If you want to make a change to one or two settings, switch to that dial position, say "1", and adjust whatever parameter(s) you want.

Then go to Menu, Camera Settings, Memory, Select register (1 or 2), press the center button of the control wheel.

That saves those newly-changed parameters.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I still need to set this up. I had this type of setup with my D800e with timer,mirror up and delay for landscape work. Glad Sony did the same, I just need to do it. Thanks Dave that gave me a clue how to make the changes
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,
    The first time you set them up you should start from scratch, which basically means the first step is different; don't turn the dial to position 1 or 2. Instead set up the camera the way you want in whatever mode you want the setting to act like. For instance, if you want aperture priority, set the dial to A, and set up the camera just the way you like, including what you want the starting aperture to be, i.e. f/5.6 or whatever.

Then go through the menu as indicated in my other post.

If you are like me, you will forget some specific setting or want to change it a bit after the initial setup. That's when you would turn the mode dial to 1 or 2 initially, simply because all the other settings are where you want them already.

Hope that made sense...

I have "1" set for manual, auto iso. Essentially a hand-held position. "2" is for tripod mounted: time delay, iso 50, aperture priority.

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave,

thanks for help!

Cheers

Jan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Dave I would setup similar like you. I would reserve number 2 as landscape settings as well.

OT but I just noticed RRS has the L bracket in stock. I just ordered it. Now I have way too many plates. LOL

I think I will put that Sugru stuff on the plate to create a cushion. I am in the believe that a rubber plate helps with dampening the shutter. Also a bigger mass of plate why I ordered it. Call me stubborn. But I have yet to put on a plate on this thing that has made me happy yet. There too wide and interferes with the LCD articulating arm.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

OT but I just noticed RRS has the L bracket in stock. I just ordered it. Now I have way too many plates. LOL
    Guy, the new L-bracket is quite interesting in that the vertical piece can be removed easily so you can go back to a compact baseplate as needed. I love L-plates, but hate adding bulk and weight, and this looks like a great solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, they also have plate for the Sony A-E adapter so you can have a single tripod mount for all A-lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea this one looked really nice from the photo and you can set it up two ways. Ill let you know how it is but this might be the ticket for the A7r . I did pick up the Sony remote cord but the dang thing is like 65 dollars and if your a video shooter it has a zoom feature. i may return it as its not really that small. I bought a 19 dollar one off brand at Calumet but has the wrong connection and so does the dang Metz flash I got so going back today to get this straightened out. The picture on the box had the standard foot but the flash was the old style connection. I might just get the Sony instead and be done with it. The Metz looks nice though. Ill see what they have

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I got one of these, 80bucks and has manual control and swivels. Works well as an optical trigger for me...

SAMSUNG NX SEF-20A FLASH ED-SEF20A/EP

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That looks nice to have in the bag at all times. I could use that as well. the big one is for the PR grip and grin corporate work I have to do. You know the bread and butter clients. LOL

But that little one looks perfect for fill and small in the bag

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The size is what I needed, along with the manual control and swivel power. I always prefer off camera flash anyway. When I use it, I just setup a couple of external optical slaves and works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I did pick up the Sony remote cord but the dang thing is like 65 dollars and if your a video shooter it has a zoom feature.
    It's too expensive, but it's the only game in town (and by the way, what isn't "too expensive" when talking camera gear). I like the USB (actually, micro USB size, but with different pins) rather than the old 3 pin. The 3 pin plug often required rocking the plug to remove from the camera. I like the ability to actuate the video, something the old wired remote couldn't. I like the new remote's removable clip. It's nice to clip to my camera's installed wrist strap (or one's neck strap) for tripod work, rather than having the remote dangling.

I wish Sony had made the new plug right angle as was the old remote plug. The new USB straight plug fouls the tripod clamp when working in portrait mode. As I'm using mostly adopted Sony A mount lenses (for now), and I mount the L plate on the adapter, that isn't a problem. Using a generic L plate, with slots for the tripod screw, I can extend the side plate leg to clear the inserted remote plug. That wouldn't be possible with the dedicated RRS L plate. The a7r may be the first camera in the last 4 I don't purchase a dedicated RRS L plate for.

Two tips I'll pass on. First, when the camera goes to sleep, a half press on the remote's shutter button doesn't wake the camera. I spent some time in the camera menu before finding the "power" switch on the side of the remote. Slide the switch up to wake the camera (and Sony,make the next firmware release wake the camera with a half press of the remote shutter button as GOD intended).

I found it almost impossible to determine the correct side of the remote plug to fit into the camera without close examination. That's difficult to perform in the dim light of pre-dawn landscape shoots. I used my soldering iron to dimple the remote's plug, the side facing to the rear. I can now feel the correct way to insert the plug.

Graham

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RE: remote options

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    It's too expensive, but it's the only game in town (and by the way, what isn't "too expensive" when talking camera gear).
    I've got a Nex7 and an A7r and my cheap chinese vendor infrared remote that works on the Nex7 also works on the IR port on the handgrip. Don't know if advanced functions can work via IR if there are more sophisticated remotes but the simple shutter/2sec selftimer buttons work on this two button remote. ~$5. delivered from China.

Can't say I've noticed publication that there is even a IR remote port on the A7r.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    It's too expensive, but it's the only game in town (and by the way, what isn't "too expensive" when talking camera gear). I like the USB (actually, micro USB size, but with different pins) rather than the old 3 pin. The 3 pin plug often required rocking the plug to remove from the camera. I like the ability to actuate the video, something the old wired remote couldn't. I like the new remote's removable clip. It's nice to clip to my camera's installed wrist strap (or one's neck strap) for tripod work, rather than having the remote dangling.

I wish Sony had made the new plug right angle as was the old remote plug. The new USB straight plug fouls the tripod clamp when working in portrait mode. As I'm using mostly adopted Sony A mount lenses (for now), and I mount the L plate on the adapter, that isn't a problem. Using a generic L plate, with slots for the tripod screw, I can extend the side plate leg to clear the inserted remote plug. That wouldn't be possible with the dedicated RRS L plate. The a7r may be the first camera in the last 4 I don't purchase a dedicated RRS L plate for.

Two tips I'll pass on. First, when the camera goes to sleep, a half press on the remote's shutter button doesn't wake the camera. I spent some time in the camera menu before finding the "power" switch on the side of the remote. Slide the switch up to wake the camera (and Sony,make the next firmware release wake the camera with a half press of the remote shutter button as GOD intended).

I found it almost impossible to determine the correct side of the remote plug to fit into the camera without close examination. That's difficult to perform in the dim light of pre-dawn landscape shoots. I used my soldering iron to dimple the remote's plug, the side facing to the rear. I can now feel the correct way to insert the plug.

Graham
    Thanks Graham good trick. I'll keep my sony and returned the generic

Post Thanks / Like

I was able to trip the "Bulb" setting of my A7R with my supplied Remote Commander wireless remote, the one I received with my old a700 years ago.
    One push to open, another to close it, timed it with my watch.
    Ideally, I'd be wanting a programmable intervalometer style like I bought cheap on the bay for the a700.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neelin View Post
    RE: remote options

Can't say I've noticed publication that there is even a IR remote port on the A7r.

Robert
    There's an IR port on the front of the camera, and I have both the Sony RMT-DSLR1 (that came with the a700), and the RMT-DSLR2 released with (or about the same time) as the a99. They're basically identical, but the DSLR2 will start and stop camera body video.

One may also use the free Sony remote control app, and their smart phone or tablet. https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.c...9014_00-F00002

Sony has an intervalometer app for several of their NEX cameras. I'm sure a7 support will be added shortly.https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.c...9014_00-000003

For me, nothing beats a wired remote for tripod work.

Graham

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just tested the new version for iPhone with the new version for the A7R. Pretty awesome. I posted a new thread on it.

Guy, I think with your iPad or iPhone, you'll have all the remote capabilities you'd need. Just remembered....not sure of bulb, need to go check.

Cheers..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just saw that and going to look into it. I initially was thinking out in the field wifi just don't exist. But with ad-hoc it's worth a try. I'll still keep my cord but very interesting

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just went into a Sony store here in LA and was looking around. I wanted to try the 55fe but nothing there

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Guy,
    The first time you set them up you should start from scratch, which basically means the first step is different; don't turn the dial to position 1 or 2. Instead set up the camera the way you want in whatever mode you want the setting to act like. For instance, if you want aperture priority, set the dial to A, and set up the camera just the way you like, including what you want the starting aperture to be, i.e. f/5.6 or whatever.

Then go through the menu as indicated in my other post.

If you are like me, you will forget some specific setting or want to change it a bit after the initial setup. That's when you would turn the mode dial to 1 or 2 initially, simply because all the other settings are where you want them already.

Hope that made sense...

I have "1" set for manual, auto iso. Essentially a hand-held position. "2" is for tripod mounted: time delay, iso 50, aperture priority.

Dave
    I don't see it quite as fluid as you say. I find that I cannot save while in [1] or [2] dial modes. I have to move to another mode (MSAP) then go, as you say, to menu>camera>memory then save.

If I want to make a minor change in [1] or [2] it's not so simple. When I go to [1] or [2] then back to say, manual, the settings are not carried back to M. This is kind of a problem because in order to make a minor change I have to reenter ALL the settings then save again.

Also I wanted to setup manual flash with ambient underexposure. With underexposure it makes sense to set Live View Display setting effect OFF. That setting is not possible to save to either [1] or [2].

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ferrellmc View Post
    I don't see it quite as fluid as you say. I find that I cannot save while in [1] or [2] dial modes. I have to move to another mode (MSAP) then go, as you say, to menu>camera>memory then save.

If I want to make a minor change in [1] or [2] it's not so simple. When I go to [1] or [2] then back to say, manual, the settings are not carried back to M. This is kind of a problem because in order to make a minor change I have to reenter ALL the settings then save again.

Also I wanted to setup manual flash with ambient underexposure. With underexposure it makes sense to set Live View Display setting effect OFF. That setting is not possible to save to either [1] or [2].
    Hmm. To your point, I'm not sure how you could change to a different mode (MSAP). I also tried Live View Display setting and that is indeed global. It seems there are some settings you can change the way I describe and some you cannot. Sorry for the confusion.

When you first switch into [1] or [2], it looks like you can run through four screens that show the settings that are specific to that memory position.

Dave

davechewphotography.com