The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Size of adapted lenses for Sony A7/A7r

Hi,
Is anyone put off by the way a manual focus reflex camera lens with adapter for the Sony transforms the little camera into a large package. Is it just me or does this combination made the lens seem hugh and almost out of balance for the small body.
thanks,
Robert

D

Deleted member 7792

Hi,
Is anyone put off by the way a manual focus reflex camera lens with adapter for the Sony transforms the little camera into a large package. Is it just me or does this combination made the lens seem hugh and almost out of balance for the small body.
thanks,
Robert
I agree, Robert. And that's why I prefer the native 35mm and 55mm lenses AND the adapted Leica M lenses that play nice with the A7R. I bought the A7R to have a compact kit, not a DSLR wannabe.

Joe

Hi,
It just seems a shame to take such a small camera and put the adapter + lens + too big on it.
I kind of wanted manual focus, thats why I haven't bitten on the native lenses yet.
I haven't had the energy to wade through all the posts on the use of Leica M lenses on the Sony. You must feel that work well?
Robert

Ron Pfister

Robert, I think it greatly depends on what kind of SLR lenses you are talking about. A compact manual focus 50mm prime plus the required adapter is about the same size as the FE 1.8/55.

But I think the best thing about these cameras is that you can use just about any lens with them, as long as they play nice with the sensors. Mixing and matching depending on your needs is easily possible: one day, you may need a very compact kit, for which the native lenses or adapted M-glass may be ideal; another day, you might only be able to get the job done with an f/2.8 SLR zoom, so you bring that. I like this flexibility...

fotografz

Yes and no.

I have native A mount ZA FF 35mm DSLR lenses, most of which are kinda big on this camera (except maybe the ZA24/2), but handle okay ... as a secondary back-up camera, it's better than lugging two 35mm DSLR/SLTs bricks and a Leica M in the bag when I'm shooting for money.

Alone, with the native FE 35 and 55 it's the ideal travel package ... maybe adding my manual focus M90/2.8 for portraits, a lens that plays very nicely with this camera's sensor, and is a snap to focus on the A7R.

It's the best of too many worlds right now until more FE optics come out and things settle down.

-Marc

HansenTsang

Hi,
thanks,
Robert
I feel the same way. Also the range finder lens don't have very close focusing capability. So I am using a Nikkor 35mm f1.4 on an adapter but that package is long. I have to get an adapter with a tripod mount so it has better balance when I mount it on the tripod.

I will try the native FE35mm next but I hope it can focus fairly close.

Godfrey

Hi,
Try a Pentax FA43mm f/1.9 Limited. Lovely, fast lens for a 35mm film format camera, and small/light. Even on an adapter.

That said, I am always amazed when I hear this kind of complaint. Of course SLR lenses for a 35mm format are going to be somewhat large once the required adapter is taken into account. Only chance for small lenses that cover the format properly and perform well are lenses designed for the camera, and Sony's not the greatest at filling out the lens line.

G

k-hawinkler

Hi,
thanks,
Robert

No problem at all for me.
To the contrary the EVF of the A7R permits precise manual focusing with magnification.
Whereas the green dot in my D800E doesn't.
There I need to use a loupe.

Ben Rubinstein

I'm selling my AF lenses rather than adapting them, they just look ridiculous on the Sony. Bought me a couple of tiny SLR lenses that even with adaptor are still about the size of the 55mm 1.8. I'd like rangefinder lenses but wides are a real problem and they are really expensive in comparison. For the loss of an inch of adaptor, not worth it for me.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No problem at all for me.
To the contrary the EVF of the A7R permits precise manual focusing with magnification.
Whereas the green dot in my D800E doesn't.
There I need to use a loupe.
Exactly well stated the green dot is not IMHO a good solution as its in the wrong damn place and its iffy on accuracy. The focus peaking rocks the house on the Sony