The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7r sensor not the same

mark1958

Jack
I thought the A7r had no AA filter but i found myself using more clarity and sharpening than my D800 shots --- processed via CS6.

k-hawinkler

With both D800E and A7R files I use CS6 and the latest ACR, but do all sharpening and noise reduction in Nik. Seems to work very well. I also use the clarity slider to bring out detail. Nik also handles well the noise generated by that.

anGy

1) Saturation to +8
2) Clarity to Neutral +20 (This is higher than the D800 by almost twice, and one factor that leads me to believe a stronger AA. The other danger of going higher in Clarity is you net reduce DR.)
3) Sharpening 250/0.6/1.0 (This is very similar to the D800, and helps confirm an AA filter of some sort.)
4) NR at L20/C15/Single Pixel 1
My settings for iso 100 & high frequencies shot (in C1):
Sat +4
Clarity neutral +8 to +12 (max) to prevent too much tonal transitions alteration
Structure +2
Sharpness +300/0,4/0,6
NR L15/C12

Lower frequencies are then sharpened in CS5 after post prod & resizing

mjm6

People believe it is actually lossy.
It may be, and that is a real concern...

I believe it is only possibly an issue for B&W shooting, and I intend to do some shooting to test the camera out soon in this respect. Maybe this weekend.

---Michael

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My settings for iso 100 & high frequencies shot (in C1):
Sat +4
Clarity neutral +8 to +12 (max) to prevent too much tonal transitions alteration
Structure +2
Sharpness +300/0,4/0,6
NR L15/C12

Lower frequencies are then sharpened in CS5 after post prod & resizing
My setting on sharpening is pretty much the same as the D800e 200/.6/1
clarity around 10
NR I drop down to like 15L/color 20
I also usually add about 3 points of black for punch

Saturation i dont usually add any.

Im still playing with these settings

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I thought the Sony pipeline was lossy …..the raw files are all the same size ….isn t that how you can tell .

So Sony says the A7R sensor is newer than the D800/E yet they have identical test scores at DxO ? I am sure they customized the micro lens and updated the in camera processor but the actual sensor board itself sure seems the same .

The largest concern seems to be that the in camera processing is applying changes to the raw files . Great for out of the camera results but maybe not what you would want for all situations .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, in theory the A7r shouldn't have an AA filter. This notwhistanding, while performing comparison with the d800 shooting test targets, I noticed that the quantity of aliasing was lower in the A7r than in the d800, using the same lens. At the same time, in my experience, files from the A7r require less sharpening than those from the D800, so I suspected that Sony has found a way to counteract moire without an AA filter.(Raw converter ACR)
Sergio
This is possible Sergio -- I should have clarified the A7r BEHAVES as though it has an AA and requires MORE sharpening and clarity than the D800...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack
I thought the A7r had no AA filter but i found myself using more clarity and sharpening than my D800 shots --- processed via CS6.
Mark,

Different raw processor, but same requirement is what led me to assert it does indeed behave as though it has an AA...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
And this could possibly explain why we need more sharpening -- ??? -- need to noodle on this one a bit more...

Depends in what you mean by lossy. Anybody have a raw file of a simple target or step wedge I might look at?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I thought the Sony pipeline was lossy …..

I am sure they customized the micro lens

The largest concern seems to be that the in camera processing is applying changes to the raw files
Roger, any of these are problematic and could explain why the files need more processing than D800 non-E files to look "their best."

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Depends in what you mean by lossy. Anybody have a raw file of a simple target or step wedge I might look at?
Agreed Bob, need to look at a few more files --- fortunately we'll both be with Guy in Yosemite and will have access to ALL of his raws :ROTFL:

There remain some questions for sure...

ZoranC

It may be, and that is a real concern...

I believe it is only possibly an issue for B&W shooting ...
I don't have enough technical mojo to gauge whether it is a real issue or not but I am a firm believer that I, as owner of camera, should be given freedom to decide whether something matters to me and how I want it set so I will strongly vote that Sony should give us freedom how we want our RAWs compressed (lossy, losless, or none at all), just like Nikon does.

Sony, are you listening?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re AA filter. Assuming the Sony is being truthful in there being no AA filter, and assuming the optics in use are modern and good, we should see regular examples of moire. Ergo, it would be helpful if folks shared moire examples in this thread...

dchew

Here you go:

https://www.hightail.com/download/elNLL0dOOW41bmdUWThUQw

a7r, Zeiss 35mm f/2 w/Metabones III adapter.
1/8 sec @ f/2, ISO 50. This is as sharp as I could get the focus zoomed in 14x. Gitzo w/arca swiss D4.

Jack's comments are interesting to me; I get the same impression. At 100% I do not see the same level of sharpness I expect. [del]Raw files from the 5DII[/del] and from my Alpa/IQ180 are both better. BTW, it doesn't get all that much better as I stop down.

Is this because:
1. The shutter shake problems? I've been looking for the classic double image effect, which isn't there. But maybe this movement is completely random, causing a general,slight fuzzyness?

2. I'm at the lens's limits w/ this sensor and pixel size?

3. It is just too hard to focus precisely on this sensor with the relatively short throw vs. large format lenses I'm used to on the Alpa.

??

I will post another at f/4, and one from my 90 TS @ f/2.8 in a few minutes. Please note I did not make any effort to even out the lighting; the map center is brighter because it is brighter, not just from vignetting.

Dave

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here you go:

https://www.hightail.com/download/elNLL0dOOW41bmdUWThUQw

a7r, Zeiss 35mm f/2 w/Metabones III adapter.
1/8 sec @ f/2, ISO 50. This is as sharp as I could get the focus zoomed in 14x. Gitzo w/arca swiss D4.

Jack's comments are interesting to me; I get the same impression. At 100% I do not see the same level of sharpness I expect. Raw files from the 5DII and from my Alpa/IQ180 are both better. BTW, it doesn't get all that much better as I stop down.

Is this because:
1. The shutter shake problems? I've been looking for the classic double image effect, which isn't there. But maybe this movement is completely random, causing a general,slight fuzzyness?

2. I'm at the lens's limits w/ this sensor and pixel size?

3. It is just too hard to focus precisely on this sensor with the relatively short throw vs. large format lenses I'm used to on the Alpa.

??

I will post another at f/4, and one from my 90 TS @ f/2.8 in a few minutes. Please note I did not make any effort to even out the lighting; the map center is brighter because it is brighter, not just from vignetting.

Dave
Dave,

Bob has some special tools to dig inside the raw file with -- it will be interesting to hear what he learns :D

Re image crispness, I agree with you. So far, I have not seen any A7r image with any lens combo that appears as sharp/crisp as similar D800/D800E shots, so I rule out lenses. They do sharpen up, but like the D800 seem to take a heavier-handed approach than the D800E. If the camera does not have an AA filter or there is not anything added to the Bayer matrix to alleviate aliasing, then one has to assume a vibration issue.

One thought, and this one is way out there, but lends to the vibration issue: One way to attenuate aliasing without an AA filter proper, would be to allow the sensor to 'wiggle' around 0.2 ~ 0.4 pixel in it's mounts during exposure. My gut says this isn't the case, rather the issue with vibration -- and perhaps the overall effect we are seeing -- is the camera has such a low mass it simply cannot overcome the shutter vibration at any speed.