The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony A7r sensor not the same

Don Libby

Hey Don you are in my favorite place. You have every right to be tired and cold, but not cranky.
:)

Cranky because I have to leave in a week but that's okay cause I'll be back in March!

Way off topic however we've been here almost a month testing equipment (240LS and 2x extender which I ended up buying) got the new 7r and 55mm which has turned out very well. We can close out this trip with a couple new gallery prints mostly wildlife. For years we told people we weren't wildlife photographers however this trip changed everything.

And now back to our regular program.......

fotografz

Dam.. Guess I moved the flash - on more try.. Forgot to tell I was kick out of Physic Class :) - Humaniore is my speciality
I think you mean Damned (Beavers build a "Dam"), Physics (Physic is a medical term often meaning a medical agent for purging the bowels :eek:), and Humaniora ... a word so unused, I had to look it up.

Spelling and English grammar is NOT my forte' either, and English is my only language :rolleyes:

Suffice it to say some of us should say away from the whole testing procedure ... it is usually a losing proposition that invites being ground up into dust by techno nerd, pixel peepers with degrees from MIT. :ROTFL:

Still we do it. Masochism I guess. We like something, then try to scientifically prove why we like it. A non sequitur at best.

Someone said it earlier ... "If you like it, then it is good".

- Marc

BSEH

I think you mean Damned (Beavers build a "Dam"), Physics (Physic is a medical term often meaning a medical agent for purging the bowels :eek:), and Humaniora ... a word so unused, I had to look it up.

Spelling and English grammar is NOT my forte' either, and English is my only language :rolleyes:

Suffice it to say some of us should say away from the whole testing procedure ... it is usually a losing proposition that invites being ground up into dust by techno nerd, pixel peepers with degrees from MIT. :ROTFL:

Still we do it. Masochism I guess. We like something, then try to scientifically prove why we like it. A non sequitur at best.

Someone said it earlier ... "If you like it, then it is good".

- Marc
HE HE Marc - I was kick out of spelling class to..:)

"Dam" - I see in many cartoons - must be ok :)

And next, here is a "s" - please put it in so it fits = "Physics (from Greek φυσική (ἐπιστήμη), i.e. "knowledge of nature", from φύσις, physis, i.e. "nature" is the natural science that involves the study of matter and its motion through space and time, along with related concepts such as energy and force. More broadly, it is the general analysis of nature, conducted in order to understand how the universe behaves".

To the latter: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/559707-post1720.html

I try not to let my life (nor my photographic) die in anal retentiveness...

fotografz

HE HE Marc - I was kick out of spelling class to..:)

"Dam" - I see in many cartoons - must be ok :)

And next, here is a "s" - please put it in so it fits = "Physics (from Greek φυσική (ἐπιστήμη), i.e. "knowledge of nature", from φύσις, physis, i.e. "nature" is the natural science that involves the study of matter and its motion through space and time, along with related concepts such as energy and force. More broadly, it is the general analysis of nature, conducted in order to understand how the universe behaves".

To the latter: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/559707-post1720.html

I try not to let my life (nor my photographic) die in anal retentiveness...
Me too. I was kicked out of the school Spelling Bee on the first word ... :ROTFL:

In the vernacular ... U dont need no stinkin' words, you're pics speak for there own selves, and I ain't joshin' ya :)

Blessings

- Marc

BSEH

:thumbs: have fun out there.. :)

Me too. I was kicked out of the school Spelling Bee on the first word ... :ROTFL:

In the vernacular ... U dont need no stinkin' words, you're pics speak for there own selves, and I ain't joshin' ya :)

Blessings

- Marc

jonoslack

HI Marc
Quite right - but the real mistake is to publish the test images (that's when the sky really falls on your head). I take my hat off to Tim Ashley and others who do this voluntarily and with no personal benefit, of course they need to keep their hats on (hard ones at that)!

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm in total agreement with Bobs statement. It seems there is this same type of discussion every time there's a new camera. Best advise is to try it if it works for you then great if not oh well. I don't subscribe to the idea of dissecting each and everything to its core trying to see how it works. Right now until something better comes along it works well for Sandy and me. I did ask Sandy her thoughts and the only negative was the shutter sound then she also said she's gotten used to it. Bottom line it works for us.

I'm cranky, tired and cold but thought I'd get this off my chest.....

:D
Don,

I don't think anybody is trashing the Sony, quite the opposite -- it is a landmark cam for it's resolution, versatility in lens mounting options and size package. But what *this* topic is about is if the sensor is the same as the D800 or different, so that discussion requires "looking at pixels and taking images apart."

So... *IF* I had money to burn, and *IF* I needed a smaller camera for travel or whatever, I might consider one of these, though probably would migrate to the 24MP option for a multitude of reasons.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
With regard to lossy RAW compression, supplementary information may be found here. I advise starting from post 42.
I've been following that thread too. They certainly put the anal in analysis and draw too many conclusions from a couple of 'test' example images at non-native ISO and exposed to facilitate post-processing workflow. :facesmack:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I've been following that thread too. They certainly put the anal in analysis and draw too many conclusions from a couple of 'test' example images at non-native ISO and exposed to facilitate post-processing workflow. :facesmack:
Well, it is indeed lossy, but does that matter?
It might if you can see it, but if you can't does it matter?
Personally, I would shy away from it only because I would need some convincing that indeed it didn't matter. OTOH the camera has some virtues and if I like Guy's I might not give it back LOL
-bob

Don Libby

Sorry if my comments lead anyone to believe I actually thought people wer trashing the Sony. I agree though that this is a major break through in camera systems. My comments were based on seeing what I believe is the norm for whenever any camera system is newly released. We as a group tend to pick and nitpick the system apart until we loose sight of the original objective. It often becomes the question of how many angles can we fit on the tip of a pin.

Don't get me wrong I believe honest conversation and debate can be essential in helping to make a decision however when the rubber hits the road the the only objective way a person can make a decision on whether or not to spend money is to hold it, touch it, and use it. Does it feel good in your hands. Does it fit in your shooting style. Does the files produce the quality you require. If the answer is yes to most if not all those questions then you know the answer.

There will always be comparisons made and for the most part they will alway be subjective based on the personal bias we all have. I have no knowledge how the Sony stacks up to the Nikon however I do with a Canon 1dsiii and a IQ160. Personally I like what I've seen so far over the 1dsiii. I said this earlier somewhere else, if I wasn't so head over heals in love with medium format I'd take Sony A7r as a mistress. This camera is Sandys and will completely replace her Canon gear, because she's tried it and likes it and sees how it fits in her shooting style.

Don

Don Libby

Bob, I think you're going to have a hard time giving back to Guy! I know I have that problem with Sandy I've got the bruises to prove it...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Personally, I would shy away from it only because I would need some convincing that indeed it didn't matter. OTOH the camera has some virtues and if I like Guy's I might not give it back LOL
-bob
LOL

I have both the A7 and A7R you can play with all you want.

GrahamWelland

LOL

I have both the A7 and A7R you can play with all you want.
Whilst I won't be with you folks I'll be keeping my eye out in Yosemite for one of you two wandering around with a Sony A7R with a tuned mass damper hanging on the bottom. :ROTFL:

D&A

After devouring every post and piece of info here on GetDPI and a sneak peak elsewhere ( OK, I admit I strayed. ..lol), I'm extremely impressed by what I've heard and seen for the most part but am stricken by the fact that some are basing their assesment and their wholesale move to this system ( in some cases) by the performance of a few lenses, most notably the Sony 55 and 35 FE lenses.

This is most definitely not a criticism nor the rule, but I recall not too long ago when cameras like the D800 would be assessed on a far wider criteria of performance,..namely performance characteristics with a wide variety of lenses of various focal lengths. Sure the Sony may ultimately prove superior even in this regard and the image quality so far is quite astonishing, so maybe I'm being too conservative and can't see its full potential as a complete system just yet.

This is aside from what I presume will be good support of this system in the future with a fairly complete line of lenses that potentially can take advantage of these cameras superior optical properties, but so far the discussion has primarily on its two primary lenses (the 35 and 55 FE). Are my perceptions and concerns warranted or am I not seeing the forest through the trees (or is that trees through the forest?).

I guess another way to put this is it too premature to consider investing in this system as one's primary system when such a small percentage of its potential hasn't yet been fully evaluated yet, regardless of how well its performed so far with its two principally released lenses...and yes I realize how good the kit zoom appears to be. Just some observations.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Dave,

I'm in the same position. I'm very tempted to get an A7 or A7R as a complement to my bigger Nikon bodies but I wouldn't jump ship completely personally but that's based on the pain of doing it a couple of times in the past. Inevitably Canikontaxca will have a similar offering at some point.

D&A

Quite agree Graham and it's not only the pain associated with switching systems in part or wholesale, but when a system is going to be potentially the workhouse or main system for a good percentage of important applications, I one would hope it proves to have the versatility to meet performance expectations. This last point is where I have somewhat of an issue with since so little of this system has been developed or used except for a somewhat a narrow range of uses.

If it's a system used as an adjust to other systems or simply for the pleasure of shooting with, then certainly it's been a success so far but that's not where I'm going or what I am referring to in my stated thoughts.

Dave (D&A)

ZoranC

Yes, to me it does matter. I like to be in control of what matters to me, I don't want manufacturer to decide for me, especially when it doesn't cost them anything to give me an option. Also, implementing nothing but lossy algorithm places a strong bet that loss will _never_ be noticed. That is impossible and sooner or later certain number of people will be impacted on certain shots.

Give us an option, Sony.