The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35 FE Sonnar - Decentering. Who else?

turtle

I just got mine and I am really annoyed. It has very obvious decentering (top right corner never gets as sharp and whole right side is weak). This is not pixel peeping, this is downright mushy.

Who else has had this problem?

Also, where? In all the samples I have seen with the 35 Sonnar where there is decentering, it always seems to be top right. Is this my imagination? Is it also my imagination that this is frighteningly common with this lens?

I've never had such problems with Zeiss ZMs. All have been optically as perfect as the designer intended. The lens I have in front of me isn't even close to being centered... which considering the price, is NOT impressive, especially as this lens is the only one readily available!!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mine seems pretty good but I might sell it anyway. I want a Zeiss 35 f2 ZF instead. Just a straight manual focus .

wuffstuff

I was going to get the 35/2.8FE to match my superb 55/1.8FE, but I'm put off by all of the issues raised on various forums. I know we only get to hear the bad stuff on the internet but the plasticy, cheap, mushy, soft, decentred words are quite offputting.

I have been using my Zeiss ZM Biogon 35/2 to good effect and will just keep using that with the excellent focus peaking until the wides are sorted out.

philber

I have a 35 f:2.0 Biogon, and I could not find a way to make it work on my A7R. I would love to hear how you do it.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've had two copies of the FE 35 F2.8 - one was soft on the left and one on the right, but they were kinda diagonal de-centerings really. Both returned, awaiting replacement but if the 24-70 is good I will skip the 35mm because I now have a great copy of the F1.8 55mm and that can be my go-to for perfect.

vjbelle

Sure hope you can return it. You should do so immediately if you can. My copy has very slight softening on the left hand side but it is still the best 35mm I own. That being said I have yet to find ANY 35mm focal length lens that I would call excellent. Wides for 35's all seem to be a crap shoot.

Victor

wuffstuff

I have a 35 f:2.0 Biogon, and I could not find a way to make it work on my A7R. I would love to hear how you do it.
I have no idea. Point and shoot is my professional approach. I have checked, and rechecked, at F2 - F16 as I was suspicious, but no issues at all - yet. Auto ISO.

turtle

Mine is going back tomorrow and Sony needs to get their act together. In the UK this is a $1000 lens and my Canon 40mm 2.8 pancake is at least 'straight' on the inside at 1/6th the price. I too was unsettled by the decentering reports, but figured 'what are the chances'. Well, I'm gonna guess that they have a full on production problem rather than a few bad ones. My samples look the same as those I've seen online. Same soft corner/edge!

FWIW, the build is not an issue for me. The lens is incredibly light, but seems structurally solid and is metal, rather than plastic. The very light weight and perfect balance are good points, but there's no point having the best resolving FF sensor in the world if you cannot put decent lenses on it! AF is fine too. Silent and reasonably quick.

Regarding excellent 35mm lenses, the CV 35 1.2 II certainly counts. Stunning. I was hoping the little sonnar would be better on the edges and in the corners at wider apertures (as well as much lighter and compact) and it seems it is, at least on the left side....

turtle

I'm thinking the same. I was gonna get the 24-70 anyway and will wait to see how that works out before deciding on the 35mm again in a few months. I then have a mind to wait for the Zeiss manual focus lenses at the back end of 2014 if the 24-70 zoom is good and sharp. I can use my canon and M glass in the meantime.

Think I will wait for clear evidence quality control is 'under control' before playing postal ping pong with lenses. It all smells like rushed production to me.

I've had two copies of the FE 35 F2.8 - one was soft on the left and one on the right, but they were kinda diagonal de-centerings really. Both returned, awaiting replacement but if the 24-70 is good I will skip the 35mm because I now have a great copy of the F1.8 55mm and that can be my go-to for perfect.

turtle

It turns out that Amazon was able to get me a new copy by tomorrow, before I travel, so the refund has been turned into an exchange.

I will let everyone know how this next copy fares. Fingers crossed.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
How long a period do you have at Amazon to return or exchange. I bought mine Dec. 21

I would even trade mine in for a instant credit.

D

Deleted member 7792

It turns out that Amazon was able to get me a new copy by tomorrow, before I travel, so the refund has been turned into an exchange.

I will let everyone know how this next copy fares. Fingers crossed.
Good luck with your exchange. I haven't observed any decentering with my copy, and wish you the same experience.

Joe

turtle

Thanks Joe. I don't enjoy the whole 'setting up experience'. I just want things to work nicely so I can take pictures :)

I'm a big fan of paying more for great QC, but I recognise no manufacturer is immune. I've had pretty good luck with Canon (one L lens back in 10 years), Leica has not been immune (two lenses returned, both had major mechanical focus issues) and a clean scorecard with Zeiss. But some of those developed the wobbles! It seems as much a lottery as ever. I have to say though, that all my Leica lenses and Cosina ZMs have been optically perfect and this seems to be a great irritation than mechanical problems, because they can take longer to figure out.

vjbelle

Guy, you certainly have 30 days with Amazon.... very easy returns. I'm feeling VERY lucky as my 35mm FE is really quite stellar.... lucky, lucky, lucky..... Been there done that with bad lenses. I have no hesitations returning lenses......

Victor

mjm6

I wonder how many of these returned lenses get sent back out to another photographer?

That's what makes me really nervous about the reports of decentering with these lenses.

---Michael