The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35 FE Sonnar - Decentering. Who else?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Dave, you are correct. Of course, with longer lenses you win in that filed curvature becomes less of an issue and you lose in that you have less DOF but my general practice with these sorts of lenses is, for a planar subject at some distance, to stop down to F5.6 or tighter and then focus as far into the scene on centre as I can get away with. Higher resolution sensors make it more difficult. The Nikkor F1.8 28mm G lens is a classic of this sort but is great for shooting cone-shaped subjects such as an alley of trees receding into the vanishing point...

D&A

Quite agree Tim! Slight telephotos bring on their own set of issues where field curvature is concerned but I was restricting my comments mainly to wide-ultra wide angle lenses.

Although I'm familar with the issues of the Nikon 28mm f1.8G, the lens that I encountered to be notorious for displaying fairly extensive curvature was the medium format 35mm lens I mentioned previously. The curvature becomes more extreme at greater camera to subject distances and it's not until around f11 at mid distance subjects that the depth of field becomes significantly large enough to achieve good sharpness across the frame At subject-focusing distances close to infinity, even f16 leaves some residual evidence of the curvature and it's hard to achieve uniformity of sharpness across the frame of a field subject.

Of course as you pointed out, it can work in the photographers favor for cone shaped subjects. I was photographing a semi-circle reflecting pool (umbrella shaped) that was tree lines around it's perimeter. Even at f4.5, the entire semi circle of trees was sharp, edge to edge, which wouldn't have been possible if the trees were in a line, straight across.

It's well known in optical design that in wide and especially ultra wise angle lenses, especially those designed at a reasonable price point, that to increase sharpness in performance, curvature and distortion is the price one pays. Look at the 3rd party 14mm f1.2 lens (sold under various labels)....very sharp lens with tons of barrel distortion. Same goes for the quite good sharpness of the Nikon 16-35mm Vr lens at 16mm. They achieved good sharpness at the wide end by allowing distortion remain as part of the optical designed. There are many other examples that could be cited.

Dave (D&A)

Suntrip

Hi!

I am currently evaluating my newly purchased Sony FE35 and FE55. I am very new to lens testing, but I would like to be sure that my new lenses is acceptable and working good.

I have included a set of photos taken of my computer screen following this method from Photozone.

Photozone - Do-it-yourself centering sanity check - Lenses -

There are two crops each of two photos, manually focused in the center, sorry for the bad light. The first picture is from the FE35 and the second is from FE55.

What do you guys think of the result? Is the decentering level acceptable?