The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EVF lag and blackout - tip

jagsiva

The sluggish EVF refresh was always bugging me. I turned off the auto review (duh) and now it is great. Hope they make a fw change where you can set EVF and rear LCD options differently, I doubt many people want to auto chimp on the EVF.

In any case, much better with it turned off.

jonoslack

Hi there Guy. It seems that if you turn the LCD off then everything goes through the viewfinder (menu, review etc.) . Which is irritating! Or am I missing a trick?
I'd like to get it to do menu and review on the LCD, but Live View just through the viewfinder.

jagsiva

Hi there Guy. It seems that if you turn the LCD off then everything goes through the viewfinder (menu, review etc.) . Which is irritating! Or am I missing a trick?
I'd like to get it to do menu and review on the LCD, but Live View just through the viewfinder.
This is what I am seeing as well. In fact, to get the LCD back, you have to turn it on using the menu looking at the EVF. Not the brightest implementation.Would be nice if "review" was an independent option for each, I'm sure easily addressable via FW.

Ben Rubinstein

I knew about review but didn't know about switching the LCD off to speed up lag. Problem is it isn't sticky, when you switch the camera back on it's back on again. Really annoying.

jonoslack

I set C2 to turn LCD off . I do thi when I need to shoot fast and turn off review as well
That's fantastic Guy - EXACTLY what I wanted as you can still use the LCD for review and menu - I also like the fact that it isn't sticky (although an option might be nice).

Knorp

I've got mine on the up button :D I like the idea of switching to C1 though.
No problem Ben, but I like the idea to have the Monitor buttons grouped together.
The "Up Button" to toggle the various Monitor modes and then the "Down button" to switch it off all together.

All the best.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I put it on the C2 button since its a terrible place for it anyway. I use the down button for another function like Peaking level. C3 is focus point adjustment, C1 is focus area and I use FN for other settings the first one being White balance than focus mode. This way I can get to stuff quickly. I have both cameras set the same

Ben Rubinstein

I'm only using manual lenses which leaves the C buttons free for other stuff. I've got iso on C1 and peaking level on C3. I can never remember what I have on C2 as it's so annoying to get to anyway :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay quick tip. I just hooked up my main strobes and you need to in menu turn off live display effects or else the EVF goes black once you hit focus.

Menu , gear , 2