The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

JLM L-plate for A7/R

jlm

Workshop Member
Guy: will i have to rename the short-long version as a shlong?

dave: to use the camera in portrait with cables, you need to slide the base over for clearance.

i am refining things a bit

Kibo: the damn hinged battery door in the grip is such a pig! loosening the grip and rotating a bit seems the best compromise, and you do have two batteries in there

jlm

Workshop Member
long version for Sony grip completed, ready to ship:
ports accessible, room for cabling by sliding the base over, captive folding wing screw.

L-plate is centered on lens and has an index mark, as does the base. to compensate for the extra length, the L-plate is thicker

you will have to loosen screw and rotate the base a bit to get at the batteries, no tool needed

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
rear view showing base slid over for cable access; it will mount to a quick clamp without pinching cables

and slid back close to camera:

3/4 bottom view:

Gatorine

John,

This looks great. How much for the parts to create both configurations of the L-plate (short vertical segment for use when the grip is NOT attached and the long vertical segment for use with the grip installed)?

jlm

Workshop Member
the L-plate for the non-grip came is quite different from the grip version, no parts would interchange. you would need one of each

KiboOst

On this last version of long grip L plate, can you open the grip batterie door when fully slided, without unscrew it ?

jlm

Workshop Member
unfortunately not; the battery door is so large and the hinging such that the base cannot move over far enough to clear. you have to loosen the wingscrew a bit and rotate the base out of the way; it does not have to be completely removed.

fotophil

I just received John's "L" Bracket for my A7. It appears to be very well made and is extremely light which is a good mate for a light camera like the A7.

jlm

Workshop Member
new version of A7/A7R L-plate:
-shortened so battery access not blocked when slid over for portrait and cable access
-no-tool wing screw used

BJNY

I love how Arca-compatible plates have evolved over the years.

For those of us who shoot tethered,
I wish all plates would have grooves for cables as Foba BALTE/BALPE does:

except my preference would be for the grooves to run parallel with the length of the camera body and dovetail.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am hoping someone here can please help me. I am looking to order a L-Plate for my Sony A7R and ideally would like to be able to use it in conjunction with the Metabones V3 L-Plate from Hejnar photo. I see that Fred Miranda has had success with the Markins L-Bracket but that one does not allow access for using a cable release when used in the vertical format on a tripod.

I have also read that the RRS L-Bracket can not be used alongside the Hejnar Metabones L - Bracket.

Any idea if the JLM L-Bracket (the newer one that allows access to the battery compartment) is able to be used in conjunction with the Hejnar Metabones L-Bracket?

Ok, thanks so much, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!