The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtlander 75mm Color Heliar on Sony Full Frame

mark1958

I did a search and could not find any data so pardon me in advance if this has been discussed.

I have a Voigtlander 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar that I have used on my micro4/3 system. It is an extremely good lens for that format. However, I rarely use this focal length with m4/3 format. So i had considering selling it for about a year now.
It is not an extremely expensive lens and I am wondering if anyone has tried one of these or even the newer 75mm 1.8 version on their Sony A7r full frame -- or any full frame sensor for that matter. I am just wondering what type of results one gets.

I hate to spend a lot of money on an adapter if there is little change of a good outcome.

kuujinbo

I did a search and could not find any data so pardon me in advance if this has been discussed.

I have a Voigtlander 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar that I have used on my micro4/3 system. It is an extremely good lens for that format. However, I rarely use this focal length with m4/3 format. So i had considering selling it for about a year now.
It is not an extremely expensive lens and I am wondering if anyone has tried one of these or even the newer 75mm 1.8 version on their Sony A7r full frame -- or any full frame sensor for that matter. I am just wondering what type of results one gets.

I hate to spend a lot of money on an adapter if there is little change of a good outcome.
I'm surprised no one has tried one of these lenses on the camera yet...or at least posted some samples. It's a great and underrated lens (f2.5) and works very well on Leica M FF cameras.

I will have a A7 in a couple of days and may have some time to post a couple images if I ever get over a nasty cold. Hopefully someone else will post some samples or give their opinion before then. :)

But either way, how about these:

f1.8:
Ian Taylor Photography: Sony A7
Dreamer | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Flickr Search: sony a7 voigtlander 75

RFF - link to specific post w/f2.5, but there could be more if you look at the entire thread:
Rangefinderforum.com - View Single Post - A7r with RF glass

Used this cheap adapter on a NEX-5N, it works well if you just want to try something before laying out $$$$ on an expensive adapter:

Amazon.com: Fotasy NA39 Copper Leica M39 LTM 39MM Lens to Sony NEX E-Mount Camera Mount Adapter (Adjustable): Camera & Photo

mark1958

Thanks for the information. The bokeh on the 1.8 shots look pretty good. The 2.5 version shots that i could find are less informative. For 10 dollars I bought a cheap adapter and will try out the f 2.5 lens.
BTW i had a nasty cold and today is the first day since Fri I felt decent.

I'm surprised no one has tried one of these lenses on the camera yet...or at least posted some samples. It's a great and underrated lens (f2.5) and works very well on Leica M FF cameras.

I will have a A7 in a couple of days and may have some time to post a couple images if I ever get over a nasty cold. Hopefully someone else will post some samples or give their opinion before then. :)

But either way, how about these:

f1.8:
Ian Taylor Photography: Sony A7
Dreamer | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Flickr Search: sony a7 voigtlander 75

RFF - link to specific post w/f2.5, but there could be more if you look at the entire thread:
Rangefinderforum.com - View Single Post - A7r with RF glass

Used this cheap adapter on a NEX-5N, it works well if you just want to try something before laying out $$$$ on an expensive adapter:

Amazon.com: Fotasy NA39 Copper Leica M39 LTM 39MM Lens to Sony NEX E-Mount Camera Mount Adapter (Adjustable): Camera & Photo

neelin

I tried mine on a rather flat complicated wall shot, at f/2.5 & f/8 (to boring to show) and it is the best performing lens on that wall of all my CV on an A7R. CV15/4.5, 25/4, 28/1.9, 28/3.5, 40/1.4, 50/1.5. I haven't gotten around to doing a portrait shoot with it, but if it is anything like on the M8 or FF film camera it's going to be part of a small A7R go anywhere kit.

mark1958

I got my adapter today but it was late --- i tried a few indoor textured pillows on the couch kind of shots and I was very impressed. I compared it to the Leica M 90mm/ 2.8. That lens is sharp at 2.8 … The Voigtlander is a bit softer but not by any means poor.. at 2.5 and 2.8 but very comparable to the Leica 90mm by f4. I could not see a difference. I need to do some outdoor shooting in real light tomorrow. This was using the 10 dollar adapter too.

I wonder how the voigtlander 75mm 1.8 would compare? It is my understanding in general this lens was purposefully made to be less sharp than its predecessor to keep it more desirable as a portrait lens. I have not read up a lot about this lens as I had only purchased it for my m4/3 camera some time ago

bensonga

I ordered a 75/1.8 Heliar today to use on my A7. My first M mount lens. Should be here on Friday. Hoping for a little sunshine this weekend. I'll post some photos here when I can.

Gary

mark1958

I am hoping at some point to compare the 75mm 1.8 with the older 2.5 version of the lens, which i own and find to be a stellar performer. I think these lenses are not getting the attention they deserve :)

scho

Has anyone used the older SL versions of the Voigtlander Heliar f/2.5 versions in Nikon, Contax, or MD mount?

bensonga

The 75/1.8 Heliar I ordered from B&H arrived this afternoon. I only had a few minutes to shoot with it before the light was gone. We have clearing skies here this afternoon, so I'm hoping to do a lot more shooting with the A7, Heliar, Leica R and Nikkor lenses this weekend.

I need to work on perfecting my manual focusing techniques with the A7.

Gary

Dale Allyn

Gary, I'll be watching this thread in hopes that you'll continue to share your impressions of this lens. I'm considering one for my Fuji X-E2.

bensonga

Hi Dale. I'm sure whatever I shoot with the 75 f1.8 lens will not do this lens justice. I have seen quite a few outstanding examples from this lens, mostly portraits and street type photography.

It was photos like this one which convinced me to give the lens a try.

All sizes | DSCF3268

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Hi Gary. I'm a fan of being the weak link in the chain when it comes to tasks like photography, falling trees, computing, etc. ;) Always best to have equipment which "out-resolves" my talents.

Thank you for the link. I've seen that image, but had not yet seen the higher resolution version of it. I'm thinking this lens will work nicely with my humble X-E2.

I look forward to your evaluations.

bensonga

Always best to have equipment which "out-resolves" my talents.
That's always been true in my case!

Thank you for the link. I've seen that image, but had not yet seen the higher resolution version of it. I'm thinking this lens will work nicely with my humble X-E2.
Yes, I think this lens would work very well on the X-E2. I have the X-E1, so I'm hoping to use it there too. It certainly looks good in this image, which was shot with an X-Pro1.

I'll do my best to get some decent images this weekend and post them here.

Gary

bensonga

Ok, with the very strong caveats that I am not the best person to be testing this lens and my image processing skills certainly lag far behind the norm on GetDPI...here are a few of the images I took today with the 75/1.8 Heliar.

All I can say is....I like the results and I'm definitely keeping this lens.

Shot with the A7 and CV 75mm f1.8 Heliar. At f4 to f8 and ISO 100 or 200. I sure wish there was a way to get aperture EXIF data on these manual focus lenses.

Gary

The Glacier Wind

Ship Creek Small Boat Harbor Anchor

Ice at the mouth of Ship Creek

bensonga

Dale Allyn

Ok, with the very strong caveats that I am not the best person to be testing this lens and my image processing skills certainly lag far behind the norm on GetDPI...here are a few of the images I took today with the 75/1.8 Heliar.

All I can say is....I like the results and I'm definitely keeping this lens.

Shot with the A7 and CV 75mm f1.8 Heliar. At f4 to f8 and ISO 100 or 200. I sure wish there was a way to get aperture EXIF data on these manual focus lenses.

Gary
Gary, nice work. Thanks very much for posting these. The results look very nice. I'm glad to see contrast and detail as depicted in the Ship Creek Small Boat Harbor Anchor image. I may try one of these, but also considering the diminutive f/2.5 for travel.

bensonga

Hi Dale. Yes, the 75/2.5 looks excellent too and would probabably my pick to use on a X-E1 or X-E2. The 75/1.8 actually feels nicely balanced on my A7 with the vertical grip.

Either way, I think you will be happy with the results!

Gary

Dale Allyn

Hi Dale. Yes, the 75/2.5 looks excellent too and would probabably my pick to use on a X-E1 or X-E2. The 75/1.8 actually feels nicely balanced on my A7 with the vertical grip.

Either way, I think you will be happy with the results!

Gary
Hi Gary,

Well, I just bought a used 75mm f/2.5 online (an hour ago), so we'll see how it goes with X-E2. Less commitment that way (less $$) if I decide I prefer the larger, faster version. Frankly, if it works well enough, I'll probably keep it for its compactness even if I do get the new f/1.8 at some point.

D&A

Of course it greatly depends on the camera it's being used on but the two 75mm VC lenses render and perform quite differently. Although not exactly the same, it's a bit like the rendering and performance differences of the Leica 75mm Lux f1.4 vs. the Cron 75mm f2.0 lenses.

The faster lenses render a gentler image wide open and when stopped down a bit. Ideal for portrait or other work requiring a more forgiving rendition.Both slower lenses are for the most part extremely sharp near or at wide open, where the focus is more on sharpness. Of course these are generalities.

Dave (D&A)