The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question re. focussing in A7 viewfinder

Shac

I'd appreciate feedback from A7 owners using focus peaking with manual focus lenses. I need to determine if my particular camera has a problem.
When I use focus peaking with magnification with the viewfinder with manual lenses – the image is sharp. But, when I review the image with the viewfinder that I just took, the image is not as sharp as when I was focusing, nor is it as sharp as the review image on the back LCD.

When I first got the camera I thought I was unable to capture a sharp image, but when downloaded saw they were fine.

Thanks in advance for hearing of your observations.
David

k-hawinkler

I assume you have adjusted the diopter for your eyes, right?
Also, does it make a difference if you shoot raw and jpg?

Shac

Thanks - yes diopter adjusted and I've only shot RAW (almost always do). I'm surprised there is a difference b/c using same viewing device (viewfinder) and same diopter setting. My only suspicion is that the in-camera processing of the RAW image for viewing (which is a jpg yes?) is the problem

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Just a guess but the VF EVF is much lower resolution than the LCD on the back.

With magnified view it is show much less information and may appear sharper than when a complete review is shown.

It is a JPG that is shown so you can set the picture profile to sharpened to help define your focus.

Not sure this is of any help....

Bob

GrahamB

Just a guess but the VF EVF is much lower resolution than the LCD on the back.
Bob
The EVF has much higher resolution, with 2.4 million dots (1024 x 768 RGB pixels), versus the 921,600 dots (640 x 480 RGB pixels) of the LCD monitor.

I have no ideal why, if the OP has the diopter properly focused, his images aren't focused. My only thought is shutter speed. While the image may appear sharp in the EVF, slow shutter speed will still cause soft images. Mount the camera on a sturdy tripod, and use focus magnification to rule this out.

Graham

k-hawinkler

I thought the OP's images were sharp when looked at on a computer.

I prefer to review images through the viewfinder with correctly adjusted diopter.
When focusing max magnification is 14.4x.
What is max magnification during review?

jlm

Workshop Member
Three completely different viewing paths re. the op comments
Sensor preshot, evf or lcd
Recorded image, evf, lcd
Computer, recorded shot, monitor

Shac

Hi and thanks everyone (been away all afternoon) - As I said diopter set and remains constant. Focusing with EVF and magnified view - image is sharp. Take the picture and review it - sharp on the rear LCD but not sharp in the EVF. Download and convert RAW images - image is sharp.

Do any of you have the A7? and if so are your EVF images always sharp whether focusing or reviewing? That's my bottom line - b/c if A7 owners don't have this EVF sharpness difference, mine needs to go back

Last edited:

DigitalSteve

I noticed it on my A7r. It might be that the, camera generated JPG for preview, is scaled for the rear LCD viewfinder's resolution which is less than 1/2 of the EVF. Sony feeling most people share the pictures using the rear LCD, unlike you and I who keep our eye on the EVF to check quality. I first thought the softness was due to too slow a shutter speed or camera movement, until I saw the images on both the rear LCD and my computer were fine.

Shac

Steve - Many thanks. I wondered about the same but don't have the problem with the Nex 6 and its EVF. Be interesting to know if others find this.

GrahamB

Shac, please describe your problem images in detail. What lens, aperture, and shutter speed are you using? Better yet, post a few of your problem images, with the metadata intact (although if the images were shot with alternative lenses, you'll most likely have to provide the lens, focal length, and aperture). If you decide to post images, a brief description of your focal point would be helpful.

Graham

Shac

Sorry Graham I guess I'm not been clear. The images are fine. What I was asking about was the discrepancy between the sharpness of what I see in the EVF when focusing MF lenses (what I see in the EVF is sharp), vs. what I see in the EVF when reviewing an image just shot (what I see in the EVF is not sharp) - whereas the reviewed image (same one as in the EVF) on the rear LCD screen IS sharp.
Either there's a problem with my camera or I need to get used to chimping with the rear LCD only.

kuujinbo

David,

Sorry to hear about the problem. :( When reviewing images on both EVF and LCD there isn't a noticeable difference for me in sharpness between the two. Even tried using with and without eye glasses (obviously had to adjust the diopter) to make doubly sure, since my eyesight isn't so great.

Surprised more people haven't chimed in....

keith

ecsh

On my A7r, the sharpness is the same in the VF as it is on the back LCD. No difference. Would find it hard to believe there is a difference in VF and LCD between the two models.
I suspect something up with the VF.

Shac

Thank you Keith and ecsh. Looks like my camera EVF has a problem b/c there is a clear difference in terms of sharpness when reviewing an image in the EVF and the LCD

DigitalSteve

OK, so I checked more closely and both screens are about the same sharpness. I need reading glasses (a weak 1.25 prescription)to see crisp up very fine details, but can read normal and even small text without them in adequate light. That being said, I have the diopter adjusted for maximum sharpness when looking in the viewfinder without glasses. What is interesting is if I look at the LCD immediately after looking at the viewfinder (not putting on reading glasses) the LCD looks sharper. If I put on reading glasses then it looks like what I saw in the viewfinder. Maybe it is something to do with the contrast, brightness and a larger screen fooling me. Somewhat like looking at a contrasty picture for a distance, then when you walk up close, you see it is not that sharp?

Shac

Thanks Steve for checking - Your explanations could be correct. I'm beginning to suspect it might be that the magnification (100%) in review is just too much for the EVF. I'll try finding another A7 in a local Sony store and check. I know that there's no problem with the Nex 6 EVF or even the external EVF for the Nex 5N
Much appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions