Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

Also Chambers is using the a7 due to shutter vibrations he did not like on the a7R.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, he's making too much of that IMHO, I have seen it but it is rare.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    You ain't freaking kidding on that. I'm containing the rest of my comments on it as its not very good. Lets just say over 3k and seen it once maybe twice.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You ain't freaking kidding on that. I'm containing the rest of my comments on it as its not very good. Lets just say over 3k and seen it once maybe twice.
    Oh! That's why I escaped from the A7r hand held 'camera shake' at sensible exposures . . . .but perhaps I was premature. I'm used to 1/2 focal length with the M240, and I was feeling that 2X focal length was needed on the A7r . . .

Just this guy you know

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jono, I have been using just 1X focal length (handhold) on all my Leica R lenses. I haven't really see any issue due to the shutter vibration.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
    Jono, I have been using just 1X focal length (handhold) on all my Leica R lenses. I haven't really see any issue due to the shutter vibration.
    Maybe I was premature.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
    I am not surprised that you don't think shutter vibration is an issue for you if you are shooting handheld. However, I would think that shooting handheld is not the way to go about testing whether shutter vibration is or is not an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I lose the final bit of top quality of images much more often to even small misses of focus or subject movement than to any s/s variations, but aim for 1/2 x fl. If lower than 1/fl, I look for extra support - column or wall, wrap the neck strap tight and shoot at the top of a breath etc. And I have quite a few 1/40s frames I am happy with. On the a7r dof is harder to rely on to 'cover' slight focus misses, could be the FE 55 contributing too. The focal plane is thin..the 24-70 might do quite a bit better.

LC is still after Sony to please him with a fix so expect more of this from him. Don't forget the shutter shock Holmes and LC are pushing is unidirectional not generalized, and needed an adapter foot pod mount to show itself.

Post Thanks / Like

Nevertheless, original advice for the d800 handheld was 3x, and I found in practice that this was the only way to be sure. It doesn't matter, in a way, that I can also very often nail it at 1x because I know that I might not. So my way, when there is time, is to shoot my a7r at 3x at whatever ISO that requires, then, if that ISO is 'too high for comfort' bang off a few frames at lower ISO and lower multiple of shutter speed.. I will generally get at least one frame that works at the slower shutter speed, but have my insurance policy in place. However this clearly does not suit all subjects and situations...

If I were writing a petition to Sony it would be to allow AUTO ISO parameters to include a variable minimum shutter speed linked to focal length...
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

With the growing sensor resolution the rule of thumb for the shutter vs f-length calls for ever faster shutters. 3x is not unreasonable for 36mpix sensors.

See attached MTF for the Vario-Tessar 24-70/4 FE Sony/Zeiss zoom.
    Compare with MTFs for Zeiss Vario-Sonnar 24-70/f2.8.
    Wide open (2.8 vs f4) the Sonnar is better at the wide end but loses slightly at 70mm. Most likely it wins on both ends at f4. It costs double.

How to read those:
    A theoretical perfect lens would have all the lines flat and overlapping near the 100% contrast limit (topmost horizontal line). The perception of picture "sharpness" grows with contrast for a given figure of line pairs/mm.
    If the lines (curves) of the same color (for the same value of line pairs/mm) start parting away that means astigmatism and loss of "sharpness". Contrast is lower/higher in the different directions of the image circle marked by continuous and dotted lines of the same color.
    Curves dropping with the distance from the image center means worse contrast towards the corners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And of course it must be kept in mind that for a given output size much less enlargement is required of the a7r compared with a lower res sensor..people casually inspect at 100% no matter the pixel dimensions.

Point taken re the MTF, it's certainly not textbook for a $1000 plus lens, calculated at that. The issue I see is people wanting a do everything lens with stabilisation for say landscapes, and being seriously disappointed at 24mm - a situation made worse by the design unsuitability of the 21mm and 24mm Super Elmars and other wide symmetrical lenses.. The pressure is on to make a 3x 24-70 from the market unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

When I get my Tessar 24-70/4 I will be curious to do an experiment and compare prints from the wide open Tessar+A7r and Zuiko 14-35/f2+Olympus E5 (12mpix).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    The pressure is on to make a 3x 24-70 from the market unfortunately.
    ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All of this discussion has me depressed! I was really hoping the 24-70 would be a great all-around lens, and now maybe it's clear, not so much.

In my mind, this raises the comparison to the kit lens. Clearly, not as wide at the wide end, but otherwise, is there enough difference in performance to justify the price difference?

Secondly, it would be really great if we had some idea what the next lenses are planned for release, because if they intend to produce a, say, 20-35 zoom in a year, then the overall lesser performance of the 24-70 might be somewhat irrelevant to many people once the overlap can be used to chose the better performer.

This one (rumors only, here) shows a 16-35 coming:

More job cuts at Sony (including one camera factory) | sonyalpharumors

I think this one is the official roadmap that has been released:

(SR3) Two new FE lenses coming in March? Zeiss fast prime and Zeiss f/4.0 zoom likely! | sonyalpharumors

The rumor is a WA zoom in March to be announced. That's where the 16-35 conjecture is coming from in the top link I suspect.

If that is the case, I believe I could get behind the 24-70 even if the performance isn't stellar at the wide end.

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Until someone here gets it in there hands and runs some quality tests than we are guessing but I do NOT expect it to be better than any 24-70 currently on the market from Nikon, Canon or Sony. But I have seen some nice images from it so depending how much of a pixel peeper you are and your intended needs than its hard to say if it works for you. Given the glass i see you have ( jealous) than its not going to match any of those. LOL

Your more a lens whore than me, i think we need to balance things out send me that dang Leica R 28mm Elmarit NOW. ROTFLMAO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hahaha!

Guy, I only have both kits because I love the small size of the M line, but frankly, detest the RF interface (not specifically of the M9, but in general, RF cameras are just not my cup of tea for my subject matter). My primary shooting is architectural subject matter, and I'm way too fiddly to comfortably accept the framing inaccuracy that I get with RF's.

I am going to sell the M stuff very shortly, now that I have the a7R to go along with the a900. I just need to figure out if any of the M lenses should be kept for the a7R first.

Oh, I LOVE the 35mm summilux M (Mandler pre-ASPH)... I'm not sure I can part with that one, so I really hope it performs well on the a7r (probably not). Love the 50mm lux (E46) too... Not a big fan of the ASPH rendering of the modern Leica lenses (too nervous in OOF areas), so I chose pre-ASPH mostly when I put together the system.

These days, I am kicking myself that I didn't buy an 50mm E60 Lux R and a 35mm Lux R a few years ago before the pricing went into Absurdialand.

If I decide to sell the 28R (actually, very likely, it doesn't get used much), I'll let you know before I post it.

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rf is a love and hate kind of thing. I used to like it but my eyes are not getting any better and I find the Sony setup really good for my eyes now even better than my Nikon as well. Big item I can confirm what i am doing much faster. This has not been brought up yet and I should have mentioned this in my article but I am much quicker confirming in my mind what i am getting at a much faster pace. That means a lot to me.

As far as glass i am just not sure on the M with the A7r that info is scrambled all over the place. It would be nice to know if your 35mm Lux M works good. The rest of your M should be fine I would think. Im kicking myself as well as i had every dang Leica R lens around and just about every M lens as well. Im glad to have the Leica 19mm and would love the 28mm elmarit but over 2k for one is absurd anymore. I just can't justify it today.

Post Thanks / Like

Sony 28-70/3.5-5.6 MTF is attached. It does not look much worse than that of Tessar FE 24-70/4 but the units are not directly comparable. Here Sony chose 10lp/mm and 30lp/mm while for the Tessar they (Zeiss?) use 10, 20 and 40 lp/mm.
    An extrapolation points to the conclusion that the new glass (Tessar) will be certainly better from 28mm. Not to say that it has a fixed aperture value throughout the zoom range.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Guy
    Rf is a love and hate kind of thing. I used to like it but my eyes are not getting any better and I find the Sony setup really good for my eyes now even better than my Nikon as well. Big item I can confirm what i am doing much faster. This has not been brought up yet and I should have mentioned this in my article but I am much quicker confirming in my mind what i am getting at a much faster pace. That means a lot to me.
    I think RF is all about practice - my eyes are standard issue old eyes (they used to be so good) - but I still find RF focusing faster than the A7 . . . . but only when I'm in practice.
    As far as glass i am just not sure on the M with the A7r that info is scrambled all over the place. It would be nice to know if your 35mm Lux M works good. The rest of your M should be fine I would think. Im kicking myself as well as i had every dang Leica R lens around and just about every M lens as well. Im glad to have the Leica 19mm and would love the 28mm elmarit but over 2k for one is absurd anymore. I just can't justify it today.
    AS you say - M lens information is scrambled - but I think it's because the performance of M lenses on the A7 is a mish mash. Personally I've no problem with 75mm and above - below that I can't be bothered to work out what does work and what doesn't . . . the exception being that the Noctilux can be fun.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You need to get a A7r Jono and test out what works and what don't. LOL

Your turn to be the guinea pig. ROTFLMAO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You need to get a A7r Jono and test out what works and what don't. LOL

Your turn to be the guinea pig. ROTFLMAO
    Hi There Guy
    I already did that:

WATE - fine
    24 elmar - not great
    28 'cron - rubbish
    35 FLE - useable stopped down, but still dodgy corners
    35 Summarit - better, but still not as good as on the M
    50 rigid 'cron - fine - but without the presence it has on the M
    50 'lux - as above
    50 0.95 - fun
    75 'cron - fine
    90 elmarit M fine
    135 APO telyt - fine

C/Y 28-85 dodgy corners at 28 - otherwise fine
    R lenses:
    60 macro Elmar
    35-70 f4
    80-200 f4
    all fine.

I had it for a weekend, took over 1000 shots and then took it back. My problem was two fold:

1. I thought it was going to be an answer for M lenses - it isn't - I really don't think it's worth bothering (I do have an M to put them on though).

2. The Clanky shutter - everyone's talking about Shutter Vibration on tripods, but I found I needed 3x the focal length on the A7r to hand hold because of the clatter - on the M I need 1/2 focal length - that's 2.5 stops.

I'm enjoying the A7 for my R lenses - I can easily hand hold at 1x focal length - IMHO it's not worth bothering with RF wide angles on full frame mirrorless - and I don't think it'll change - It needs software correction, and why would Sony do that for someone else's lenses? (any more than Leica does). You have the right idea using that lovely 19mm R lens (I wish I had one)

Bring me an A8r with an EFC and a quieter shutter and I'll have another go (but not with wide M lenses) - I like the camera, but I just don't see why it has to sound like someone stamping on a tin can . . . 3 times! Worth mentioning that I've liked Sony cameras for some time - A900, A77, A65 and many different lenses - I like the A7 as well.

Just this guy you know
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm very fortunate that I have a particularly good example of the ZA 24-70 (though only after being sent back to Sony because it developed a reluctance to focus at infinity properly - but they did a fine job of fixing so it was better than when new).

I find that with the extra heft of that lens with the EA4 adapter I have no shutter vibration problem. Of course, it's not delightfully light like the 55/1.8 EF but it is more versatile, naturally. I don't think I'll go for the EF version as my ZA is such a proven performer.
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Post Thanks / Like

I should start to test my 24-70 F4 OSS tomorrow, weather willing, and will report asap!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm on the back patio playing with my new ZA 135 1.8. Oh boy she is nice too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not to go to far off topic but I love the manual focus of these ZAs than you have AF when the need arises. Only AF lenses that have any feel manually focusing. Sorry Nikon/ canon but you suck at manual focusing. Flame suit on

Oh and love the focus lock button on the lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Back to the 24-70 anyone receiving anything here in the states

Post Thanks / Like

Sony's MTF figures (even for the ones with the blue Zeiss sticker on them) are pointless and mostly fantasy land. Searching on Google will bring up a thread or two with a response from Dr H Nasse on what he thinks about Sony's published MTFs.

What we need are real tests from pros and trusted members of this forum. Guy, Mark, Tim and others on this forum for example.

-- Eeraj

Quote Originally Posted by nugat View Post
    Sony 28-70/3.5-5.6 MTF is attached. It does not look much worse than that of Tessar FE 24-70/4 but the units are not directly comparable. Here Sony chose 10lp/mm and 30lp/mm while for the Tessar they (Zeiss?) use 10, 20 and 40 lp/mm.
    An extrapolation points to the conclusion that the new glass (Tessar) will be certainly better from 28mm. Not to say that it has a fixed aperture value throughout the zoom range.

Post Thanks / Like

Back to the 24-70 anyone receiving anything here in the states
    I have one on the way from a Japanese seller; should be here next week.

I'll definitely share results as soon as I get it. (I picked up a 28-70 a while back to tide me over, but it gets little use as I find it quite disappointing on the a7R.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

Quote Originally Posted by jaree View Post
    Sony's MTF figures (even for the ones with the blue Zeiss sticker on them) are pointless and mostly fantasy land. Searching on Google will bring up a thread or two with a response from Dr H Nasse on what he thinks about Sony's published MTFs.

What we need are real tests from pros and trusted members of this forum. Guy, Mark, Tim and others on this forum for example.

-- Eeraj
    I found this:

Zeiss FE 55mm lens is on par with the Zeiss Otus at medium aperture! | sonyalpharumors

Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:56:47 +0200

Dear Mr. Lau,

Thanks for your request.

The MTF data for all Sony lenses (including the Carl Zeiss ZA lenses) are created and published exclusively by our partner SONY. We do not have had influence on the published MTF charts.
    So please contact Sony directly about the measuring methods and further details of their MTF data.

Best Regards

Bertram Hoenlinger

Reply – 2
    (From Dr. Hubert Nasse who had published the guide for reading MTF diagrams in Camera Lens News)
    Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:14:05 +0200
    Dear Mr. Lau,

the curves which are shown in some Sony brochures have been “processed” with some freedom
    by the graphics designers of the brochures. They are scientifically not valid, easily to be seen in
    some cases where the figures exceed diffraction limits. So they should not at all be compared to
    the data which are published by Carl Zeiss.

With best regards

Assuming these letters are legit, they say only the obvious: every manufacturer uses a different methodology. Do we know how Zeiss tests their lenses? Do they have a double-walled test chamber ammortized from external influences?
    Is Sony's marketing to be trusted? Hell, sure, like any other salesman.
    Are "Guy, Mark, Tim and others" better than Sony and Zeiss in testing lenses?
    I don't know. Are they to be more trusted than corporations? I think so.
    The thing I know here is that lens testing is more art than science.
    MTF charts give an idea, same as a car's specs.
    When I see a graph reaching 100% contrast for 5 or 10 lp/mm I know it's "optimistic". No real lens has 100% contrast. But also 5 and 10 lp/mm are pretty meaningless. "Creative graphic design" is more difficult for 20, 30 or 40 lp/mm, where it counts. In cinematography I am interested in 70lp/mm contrast to be around 70% (Zeiss Master Primes). Thats where the picture looks really "sharp" on the screen.

As for "independent" lens testing... Arguably the most popular photo site in the world for years had lens tests that often showed system resolution higher than Nyquist limit (more lines than sensor pixels). All of their tests were worthless because they misunderstood the definition of Nyquist limit.
    DxO today claims that Sony FE 55/1.8 has T=f=1.8.
    Possible? A lens with no transmission losses? Only if it has a built in amplifier.

PS. Not long ago one CERN team published a "discovery" of some neutrinos travelliing faster than light. After a year's re-testing the culprit was found--uneven length of cables carrying data.

Post Thanks / Like

"And those who see too many numbers and curves may be assured that these are not really necessary for good photography, since photography is mainly based on experience. But it is great fun to understand your tools in a better way, and this what I wish you to have during reading this first part."

http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B8B6..._Kurven_EN.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I agree with all the above. An MTG graph is more useful in identifying relative performance across the frame and across apertures, than it is for comparing lenses to other lenses.

Even if there were an absolute methodology that all manufacturers stuck to, we still wouldn't have much of a useful guide to the lens in real world use. Different photographers tend to shoot in different ways and a lens that is fantastic for portraits might be weak for landscapes. And a lens that has sharp edges and corners on a 3 metre distant brick wall (and there are photographers for whom that sort of performance matters, I am one of them) may be soft at the edges at landscape distances.

Similarly, field curvature and focus shift can combine to make tests very hard to understand and execute. The shape of a scene can make a poor lens look great or a great lens look poor.

Case in point: I have been testing my 24-70 OSS indoors on bookshelf type shots because the weather is filthy outside. I am so far none the wiser. It takes a lot of shots on a lot of subjects at a lot of distances at a lot of apertures to develop a subtle view of what a lens can do.

So the 24-70 so far looks just fine, and very nice on centre. But it will take me a LOT more frames before I know if it is as good as the Olympus 12-40mm when shot at various distances and apertures and then printed to about 20" - and that is my current gold standard...

Post Thanks / Like

The Olympus 12-40 is supposed to be as good as the gold standard Zuiko 14-35, although the latter is f2. I'll be testing my Zuiko against Tessar 24-70/4 when I get it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I agree with all the above. An MTG graph is more useful in identifying relative performance across the frame and across apertures, than it is for comparing lenses to other lenses.

Even if there were an absolute methodology that all manufacturers stuck to, we still wouldn't have much of a useful guide to the lens in real world use. Different photographers tend to shoot in different ways and a lens that is fantastic for portraits might be weak for landscapes. And a lens that has sharp edges and corners on a 3 metre distant brick wall (and there are photographers for whom that sort of performance matters, I am one of them) may be soft at the edges at landscape distances.

Similarly, field curvature and focus shift can combine to make tests very hard to understand and execute. The shape of a scene can make a poor lens look great or a great lens look poor.

Case in point: I have been testing my 24-70 OSS indoors on bookshelf type shots because the weather is filthy outside. I am so far none the wiser. It takes a lot of shots on a lot of subjects at a lot of distances at a lot of apertures to develop a subtle view of what a lens can do.

So the 24-70 so far looks just fine, and very nice on centre. But it will take me a LOT more frames before I know if it is as good as the Olympus 12-40mm when shot at various distances and apertures and then printed to about 20" - and that is my current gold standard...

Sending good weather now. Its 81 in Arizona. Where did winter go

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy - that good weather didn't arrive yet. Slower delivery than a new Sony lens....

ROTFL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sending good weather now. Its 81 in Arizona. Where did winter go
    Well, your good weather just arrived in Suffolk Guy . . . 70mph winds, pouring rain and 3 degrees (C).

Thanks

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Tim
    I wait with baited wallet - incidentally, do you have the kit lens 28-70 as well?
    my copy is remarkably good.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, your good weather just arrived in Suffolk Guy . . . 70mph winds, pouring rain and 3 degrees (C).

Thanks

Hey it picked up the weather on the east coast on its travels. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    What's the point of a small camera with a humungous lens like that? IMO it's what's called a self-defeating behavior.
    Why? I thought the point of a good camera body was to fit good lenses and make photographs. The best lenses to cover 24x36mm format simply tend to be bulkier than pocketable camera lenses. Particularly mid-range zooms.

I often don't understand the assumptions and expectations on these forums. The Sony A7/A7r bodies are not particularly small, they're similar in size to a standard 35mm film camera (Olympus OM-1, Nikon FM, Leica M4-2, M9). Lenses which are best for digital sensors tend to be larger than lenses designed for film cameras.

These Sonys may be the smallest FF, interchangeable lens digital bodies yet on the market, but they're still not small cameras. To me, the FF DSLRs on the market (and frankly most of the top end Nikons and Canons since the auto-focus, motor-film drive generation took over) are bloated monstrosities, which is why I refused to buy one.

I suspect that many have simply forgotten the lithe, svelte thing that a Nikon FM2n, Pentax MX, Minolta XD-11, or Olympus OM-4 actually was. Even the "big" Leicaflex SL or Nikon F/F2/F3 don't seem so big once you were swinging an F4s, F5, or F6 around for a while.

The A7 and the lenses I use on it remind me so much of my favorite Nikon FM and F3 from ye olde daze ...

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

I just spent half an hour photographing some lilies in my studio with a remote flash trigger and two 500W lights, using the A7R with the 24-70. IMHO not good for this kind of work, a LOT of quite fat purple fringing, even at F8. Not that it was designed for jobs like this but that and the large amount of distortion in uncorrected frames are not great signs so far. I need to use it for some outside stuff when the weather clears but my hopes are falling: the visual signature of the lens so far says 'compromise' and, to add to it, I may have a slight decentering. Pha!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about your efforts, Tim. But I would have been genuinely surprised if you had come up with an other conclusion.
    The lens is a pig ...

I'm with Jono: the humble 28-70 is pretty decent by comparison.
    Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I may buy back my 28-70 than. For PR type work might just be fine

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually surprized.. why on earth would someone make a decent, cheap kit lens to be better than the expensive premium choice? Or for that matter stick a Zeiss logo on a crap lens?

It hinders the Zeiss premium image in a big way and also makes customers second guess their future lens choices as to whether get a native FE mount lens or something else.

From a marketing point of view just doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

Oh well, maybe the "out in the wild" shooting by Tim will reveal something good to counter this dissapointment..

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damnit the lens I was after on e-bay someone got to it. Zeiss 25mm F2 ZF.2 Nikon mount...

I'm pulling my hair out now. Really hard to find used

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

You have to first remember to stop talking up a lens until AFTER you buy it! Hahaha...

I know you didn't do too much of that, but I did notice a mention about it in another thread...

No, I didn't buy it... but the conversation did make me look into what lenses people were discussing a little, especially as the 24/25mm FL is one of my favorite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea should keep my bloody mouth shut. someone stole it right from underneath me. Hope they choke on artichokes. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can't simple find one for 1200 /1300 unless I go to Hong Kong. I was waiting for my auction to end before I can pull the trigger on it. Ill go get lunch and calm down. Anyone browsing around and see one let me know. There is a Canon mount but I don't want to buy another expensive adapter. I have my Nikon adapter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

So much wanted to have at least one native FE OSS lens and this 24-70/4.0 seemed to fit the bill.
    Oh well, let's see what's next in line: the 70-200/4.0 OSS ?
    But why-o-why is it white ...

Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Sorry about your efforts, Tim. But I would have been genuinely surprised if you had come up with an other conclusion.
    The lens is a pig ...

I'm with Jono: the humble 28-70 is pretty decent by comparison.
    Kind regards.
    I dearly hope you're wrong! The 28-70 sounds like it does well on the A7 but my copy, on the R, is basically an APS-C lens with a wide image circle!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Oh well, let's see what's next in line: the 70-200/4.0 OSS ?
    But why-o-why is it white ...

Because is makes users look like pros!