Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

Quote Originally Posted by jlindstrom View Post
    I'm actually surprized.. why on earth would someone make a decent, cheap kit lens to be better than the expensive premium choice? Or for that matter stick a Zeiss logo on a crap lens?
    //Juha
    Hi there. I suspect that the 28-70 is quite a lot easier to design than 24-70. Added to which the kit lens isn't that cheap £450 in the UK.

Still
    We're off walking in the lakes for a week and three systems is too many, so after much heart searching the A7 stays home and the EM1 with it's lovely 12-40 is coming as a companion to my M kit. (I guess I also trust the weathesealing on the Olympus better too!).

My son Silas is taking an M6 and a mint condition Nikon F100 which he just bought for£145. Film only! I used to love my F100, what a fantastic camera.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi there. I suspect that the 28-70 is quite a lot easier to design than 24-70. Added to which the kit lens isn't that cheap £450 in the UK.

Still
    We're off walking in the lakes for a week and three systems is too many, so after much heart searching the A7 stays home and the EM1 with it's lovely 12-40 is coming as a companion to my M kit. (I guess I also trust the weathesealing on the Olympus better too!).

My son Silas is taking an M6 and a mint condition Nikon F100 which he just bought for£145. Film only! I used to love my F100, what a fantastic camera.
    Good choice and have fun.
    Get yourself a weather-sealed car too ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    So much wanted to have at least one native FE OSS lens and this 24-70/4.0 seemed to fit the bill.
    Oh well, let's see what's next in line: the 70-200/4.0 OSS ?
    But why-o-why is it white ...

Because white absorbs less heat for the sport shooters roasting in the open sun

I guess Nikon never got that memo.

- Marc
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Good choice and have fun.
    Get yourself a weather-sealed car too ...

Kind regards.
    hi Bart
    I think I have a weathersealed car. the hire car people delivered it through the same flood that caught my car! Despite being warned.

my car is still firmly in the garage and will be for some time.

PS I am taking the Monochrom (oh yes)!

Just this guy you know

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

been watching that horrendous UK weather, looks devastating wishing you the best
    we had ours in my neighborhood a year or so back with Sandy. 8' water level rise can be quite destructive.

a few locations nearby:
    restaurant

this is the entry to a six story apartment building; imagine coming downstairs to this, but before the water receded:

a not-so-waterproof car (had been completely submerged, then poleaxed with that debris

all of the above within a few blocks of our home, which was fortunately 4' above flood level

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of all the misery and weather destruction.

Jono, have fun on your trip!

G

Post Thanks / Like

I have just written a hugely long piece, hit Post and got no server and lost everything I'd written so here is a much simplified version.

Today I shot harbour side aperture series with the A7R and 24-70. All focal lengths, all useful apertures, several iterations. I chose the best and compared them at 24mm, 50, and 70mm with F5.6 to my archive of shots of the same scene from:

D800E with Nikkor 24-70 F2.8
    Oly E-M1 with 12-40 F2.8

People who read my review of the Oly lens will know that I contentiously (but correctly, naturally!) said that at 24mm it beats the Nikon combo for a 22" print because of the Nikon's less than good enough edges. As it happens, it does so at 70mm too, though loses at 50mm. Naturally I wanted to know how the new Sony lens fares against this competition.

Results are provisional. I couldn't place the tripod exactly where I usually do (there's a boat in the way) but I do know this scene very well after thousands of shots with hundreds of lens/camera/ focal length/aperture combinations. However (I know, I know, thread useless without pictures) I won't post images now because I want to do comparison shots (in more clement climactic conditions) that will stand more as evidence than opinion.

My opinion, however, after making prints and doing at lot of pixel peeping is that if edge performance for a 22" print is paramount, the Oly still wins by a little: but overall, the Sony beats both Oly and Nikon. Much more detail and fidelity and less noise than the Oly on centre, sharper edges than the Nikon at 24mm and 70mm and, though not as good at 50mm at the edges, notably more detail on centre and much less aliasing.

It is a compromise lens. I would have preferred it to be twice the price and have much better edges even if it weighed more but overall, against the competition that I own, it is the more useful lens. Edges are treatable and are as I say just about OK at this print size, centre is very good indeed, files overall win out. It is better than I feared if not as good as I dreamed. And when it isn't good enough for the shot you want, change it for a 55mm F1.8 and beat just about anything but an Otus or medium format but at a fraction the size and weight.

Pending a lot more testing, I am tempted to think that this might become my favoured travel and walkaround lens though I do need to do some distant landscape shots...
    Last edited by tashley; 15th February 2014 at 14:15.
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    ...It is better than I feared if not as good as I dreamed...
    Tim, I like this line. I too dreamed for this lens to be stellar. It is a zoom after all so I am not sure why I let my dreams become so unrealistic. I am really struggling whether to continue my wait for this lens or start looking for an excellent wide angle prime to pair up with the 55mm f1.8 instead.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, for my way of shooting, a mid-range zoom is absolutely essential. I have learned from long experience of my own laziness that when casually travelling or taking a hike, a zoom is all I will carry even if I have packed a load more. Of course if I am actually out to take specific images then I will take good primes, but for when I am ostensibly doing something else but want the ability to get good quality shots if something interesting crops up, the zoom is non-negotiable. So much so in fact that if this lens was notably less able than the Nikon 24-70 I would have got rid of the entire Sony kit and used the Oly for this purpose and the D800E for 'real' work. But as it is, I can increasingly imagine a world with far fewer cameras and lenses than I currently have!
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, I ordered the zoom to use in a similar way you describe. In fact, that is why I switched from the RX1 to the A7R - too use the zoom. However, I am afraid that my very positive experiences with the RX1 may have lulled me into dreaming that an A7R with zoom could yield similar image quality.

I originally got the RX1 to have a small travel camera for times when I didn't want to lug around my Leica S2 kit and photography wasn't the purpose of the trip. Then, I found a small pouch that the RX1 would fit into and began to carry the RX1 in the pouch on my backpack shoulder strap when hiking for serious photos with S2 kit. It was convenient to have the RX1 handy to pull out for a quick grab to help evaluate the scene and determine whether it was worth the effort to setup a tripod and shoot the S2 for a proper image. To my surprise some of those RX1 sketchbook type photos turned out exceptionally well and worthy of printing in their own right.

I went for the A7R and zoom in hopes the image quality will be good enough to leave the S2 kit behind on excursions where the bulk and weight would be a burden, but I still want to do some semi-serious photography. This is where my dreams for the zoom may be too high. I also got the 35mm f2.8 for use on the A7R when I want a small package, but expect to use the zoom the majority of the time. I am beginning to think I would have been better off keeping the RX1 and not bothering with the 35mm for the A7R, but at the time I didn't want to get myself in the position of wanting to carry 3 cameras at the same time.

I look forward to your more detailed review of the 24-70mm and sample images. The estimated shipping date for my 24-70mm is still a couple weeks away.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, I am uploading today's shots at the moment and will post a link soon. They aren't perfect but I think they're pretty useful...

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here we go. All files are Camera Neutral in LR, with 60/0.7/70/20 sharpening (a touch more than I'd usually use for a prime on this camera) and clarity +12. Each main focal length at F4 thru F8 (diffraction kicks in visibly by F11, not terrible but there's no gain in edge sharpness). All the files can be downloaded as 92% quality Adobe RGB jpegs, at 100% size though I suggest looking at them at 50%.

Tim Ashley Photography | Sony A7R with 24-70 F4 OSS
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Corner performance is one thing, but what about (barrel) distortion, Tim ?
    With bated breath and baited wallet looking forward to your shots.
    There seems to be a glimpse of hope ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mark, for my way of shooting, a mid-range zoom is absolutely essential. I have learned from long experience of my own laziness that when casually travelling or taking a hike, a zoom is all I will carry even if I have packed a load more. Of course if I am actually out to take specific images then I will take good primes, but for when I am ostensibly doing something else but want the ability to get good quality shots if something interesting crops up, the zoom is non-negotiable. So much so in fact that if this lens was notably less able than the Nikon 24-70 I would have got rid of the entire Sony kit and used the Oly for this purpose and the D800E for 'real' work. But as it is, I can increasingly imagine a world with far fewer cameras and lenses than I currently have!
    Tim, your last sentence may be considered heresy on this site. You can never have too many!

Just as well you didn't post this on the MF forum - Dante would excommunicate you.

(Shh - I agree with you!)
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, you guys...

Bart, the distortion is uncorrected in my shots and is pretty strong. I will be doing some illustrations when I write the lens up in full. Until LR has corrections it's hard to see what the end end result is.

Bill, heretics normally end up getting burned but I've been burned by the camera industry so many times already that I'm toast before the witch trials begin!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol, you guys...

Bart, the distortion is uncorrected in my shots and is pretty strong. I will be doing some illustrations when I write the lens up in full. Until LR has corrections it's hard to see what the end end result is.

Bill, heretics normally end up getting burned but I've been burned by the camera industry so many times already that I'm toast before the witch trials begin!
    Tim, thanks for posting these!

RE: Distortion … I brought a couple of your shots that showed the obvious distortion into LightRoom, then manually selected and applied various other brand lens profiles … notably Canon 24-70/2.8 and Nikon 24-70/2.8 (Canon 17-40 also worked to a degree) … while not perfect for obvious reasons, it is quite close and gives some notion of what a corrected file will look like … (maybe it would be a bit better working with a RAW file?).

With a proper LR profile, the FE24-70/4 looks to be worthy of adding … because I use a mid-range zoom exactly why you do … at times I am lazy … (actually, for some paid work where everything is moving at a rocket-sled pace, it is often hard to do without one).

Of course the nice added feature is Optical Stabilization which most mid zooms do not have including the ZA24-70/2.8.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I also tried a couple of other profiles Marc and found as you did that they were close but not perfect, on the RAW files. The distortion is moderately complex as far as I can see, I'll shoot a series for it soon and try to get an idea of when, where and how much moustache there is on top of 'the usual'!

I'm totally with you on the stabilisation - I've been shooting using Auto ISO today, with shutter speeds at around 1x focal length and OSS on, and it just works, allowing me to think about the image - err, and the filthy weather. I gotta try the lens on some other types of subjects, early signs are that it's only moderate for landscapes. It has an odd contrast drop off toward the peripheries that makes it look like lower resolution than it actually is, as far as I can see. But I do think, oddly, that it might be nice enough for certain kinds of portraits when shot wide open. Maybe...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also tried a couple of other profiles Marc and found as you did that they were close but not perfect, on the RAW files. The distortion is moderately complex as far as I can see, I'll shoot a series for it soon and try to get an idea of when, where and how much moustache there is on top of 'the usual'!

I'm totally with you on the stabilisation - I've been shooting using Auto ISO today, with shutter speeds at around 1x focal length and OSS on, and it just works, allowing me to think about the image - err, and the filthy weather. I gotta try the lens on some other types of subjects, early signs are that it's only moderate for landscapes. It has an odd contrast drop off toward the peripheries that makes it look like lower resolution than it actually is, as far as I can see. But I do think, oddly, that it might be nice enough for certain kinds of portraits when shot wide open. Maybe...
    Yeah, people stuff is my main interest and application for a mid-range zoom … half the time I vignette such images to bring attention to the subject anyway.

I noticed the edge contrast drop-off also … but when you zoom in there is more detail than was apparent at first.

24mm is most used for documentary type stuff in close quarters … like a chaotic Bride getting ready shots with all her attendants … or shooting a dramatic angle of some sort. Anything really critical and I move to a prime like the ZA24 on this camera, or move to the Leica S2 over any mid-zoom I've used to date … including the ZA24-70/2.8 for the A mount cameras.

Thanks again fro taking the time and trouble to do these, and looking forward to your further comments!

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I'm totally with you on the stabilisation - I've been shooting using Auto ISO today, with shutter speeds at around 1x focal length and OSS on, and it just works, allowing me to think about the image - err, and the filthy weather.
    This is one of my main interests in the lens, particularly for video. Today I shot my son's improv class performance. All handheld, had the RX1r and A7r/55. The battery on the RX1r was low (forgot to bring the spare), so I ended up using the A7r for video (small theater, another "don't want a loud shutter going off" location). Looks great but handheld there is some shake. The stabilization on the RX1r works really well for video, hoping the OSS in the 24-70 would do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

An added benefit of stabilisation is that it makes magnified manual focus a lot easier at everything over 35mm focal length...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    The stabilization on the RX1r works really well for video, hoping the OSS in the 24-70 would do the same.
    That's interesting - I was under the impression that the RX1r did not have image stabilization. I'll have to look into that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kott View Post
    That's interesting - I was under the impression that the RX1r did not have image stabilization. I'll have to look into that.
    The RX1/r have electronic stabilisation for video. The focal length is cropped to around 44mm, with IS active.

Post Thanks / Like

Heres some thoughts and RAW files from A7r + 24-70mm

proimagenz.com: A7r + FE 24-70mm Lens From A Landscape Perspective

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An added benefit of stabilisation is that it makes magnified manual focus a lot easier at everything over 35mm focal length...
    Are you saying I'm not stable. Lol

Tim nice work and appreciate you posting your findings. I'll get one at some point myself. Distortion is something I would not worry about . You can contact the owner of PT lens and send him some images and he will build a profile for the plugin. He did it for me with my Leica 19. On his website there are directions on how to shoot the images to submit to him. Let him know your a member here and maybe send a link to your tests. He is a really nice guy.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    The RX1/r have electronic stabilisation for video. The focal length is cropped to around 44mm, with IS active.
    what he said

No stabilization on stills, but fairly effective on video. Useful for grabbing quick clips and the fast lens and big sensor helps in low light settings. AF isn't bad either. Interestingly doesn't hunt like the GH3 tends to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim, thank you for the images to review. I am not sure what to think at this point. Looks like the left side may be a tad softer than the right although it could just be the scene making me think that. The edges are rather poor wide open, but that may not matter too much since the type of stuff I would shoot wide open probably wouldn't need sharp edges (e.g., walkaround snapshots). The edges clean up pretty good as the lens is stopped down except at 24mm which is still kinda mushy. Worst case, a person can shoot loose and crop later if edge sharpness is critical. Hmm, definitely a compromise lens. The questions is whether it is good enough to justify the cost.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m thinking that someone in Zeiss’ design office is reading this thread, and saying: “If Sony hadn’t told us to put OSS into this darned lens, we’d have knocked the socks off those GetDPI pixel peepers!” I can’t find the place now, but I’ve read that Zeiss is not enthusiastic about the IQ compromises that are required to stabilise a lens. They’ve not done it often. Nettar

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nettar View Post
    I’m thinking that someone in Zeiss’ design office is reading this thread, and saying: “If Sony hadn’t told us to put OSS into this darned lens, we’d have knocked the socks off those GetDPI pixel peepers!” I can’t find the place now, but I’ve read that Zeiss is not enthusiastic about the IQ compromises that are required to stabilise a lens. They’ve not done it often. Nettar
    That's an interesting twist, but it is in particular OSS for my single native FE lens that I was looking for.
    Whenever a future A8/r emerges it better have IBIS or some similar implementation onboard.
    Zeiss happy, we happy ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Tim
    Many thanks for the write up, unexpected hope - excellent!

Like you I find a mid range zoom vital. Unlike you I'm not so sure it counts as "laziness": I respect my instinct and to me, those kind of reaction shots one takes whilst 'doing something else' can be the best.

I'm just starting a week of walking in the lakes, it's a family trip rather than a photographic trip, but I'm still hoping for a snap or two!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nettar View Post
    Hi Nettar
    I wonder whether Zeiss design office has much to do with these lenses.Perhaps an overview?
    Maybe someone knows different?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Want to point you to Phillip Reeve's rolling Review of the 24/70.

Rolling Review: Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* FE 4/24-70 ZA | PhillipReeve.net

There is a lens profile (posted inside the Blog's commentaries part) for LR made by Simon you can download (ge.tt/5INFQaJ1/v/0?c) and try before the official LR-proflie will come (soon?) The profile is made with Adobe's software.
    This profile works very good, thanks Simon!
    I hope i can post your download link.
    Go to the comments on the bottom of the site and look for the comment of Simon.

BTW: Phillips Blog is worth reading as are his pics!

Post Thanks / Like

Am shooting this lens a lot more today, and it is frustrating - sometimes really quite good, sometimes looks like a cheap kit lens. For best results, 50mm at F5.6 works well on a planar subject and gives you nice Zeiss pop. It often misses focus at F4/70mm for some reason. It needs a touch more sharpening and some clarity to get it look like the JPEGS. And Lorey Lordy do I wish it had an on-lens OSS on/off...

Not looking great for serious landscape work either, but for close to mid-distance if you choose 28 thru 60mm and use F5.6 or F8, it can surprise.

Post Thanks / Like

OK here's some stuff that might be useful. First some images that show that when short correctly, in the safe zone of around 35-65mm and at F5.6 or F8, (and even at 70mm for the logs, as long as you're not shooting planar) the lens can make images on an A7R that are sharp to the corners, have pop and don't levee you feeling short changed. That's all I can really ask for from a mid-range zoom: sure I'd like it to be great at every focal length but I've never had one that is.

These are processed with +12 clarity, camera Neutral profile, sharpening of 80/0.7/70/20 and with a lens correction profile for LR that I found, made by some kind soul... they are all better than good enough for me.

Original at 92% jpeg quality, 63mm F8

Original 70mm F6.3

Original 46mm F6.3

Original 50mm F5.6

Post Thanks / Like

More:

Original 50mm F5.6

One for bokeh (a bit nervy and with some of the "double edge" that seems to be happening with these FE lenses):

Post Thanks / Like

Now some distortion examples. Each shows the RAW and the in-camera JPEG:
    24mm

33mm (the camera always gets 3mm mm when I set it to the 35mm mark!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

soft corners at 24mm, might be the hitting the head on the nail for me.
    I might turn my head away and turn it into a simply and Oly E-M10 direction instead, and then wait patiently for the upcoming oly 7-14/2.8.
    thorkil

Post Thanks / Like

50mm

70mm

Post Thanks / Like

Tim: about the 33mm thing. I read in the rolling review link, as speculation naturally, that this lens was designed with electronic corrections in mind. The 33mm frame after the slight crop that happens in correction results in a 35mm corrected frame. This could explain what you're seeing.

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlindstrom View Post
    Tim: about the 33mm thing. I read in the rolling review link, as speculation naturally, that this lens was designed with electronic corrections in mind. The 33mm frame after the slight crop that happens in correction results in a 35mm corrected frame. This could explain what you're seeing.

//Juha
    I'm not so sure: all the frames need corrections but this is the only one that does this!

Post Thanks / Like

Link to landscape series , all downloadable at full size, shot at 24, 35, 50, 70 at F8 for comparisons, sharpening at 60/0.7/70/20 and clarity at +12 with Camera Standard profile...
    Tim Ashley Photography | Sony A7R with 24-70 F4 OSS | _DSC1319

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am downloading some more of your images for closer inspection. Thank you for using the same scenes when testing the various cameras and lenses. Makes for a good reference / perspective since I have or had some of those other cameras and lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This lens is fine for my needs. I knew that 24mm was not going to be good just like every other zoom on the planet. Why I just bought the Zeiss 25mm F 2 but the 70mm like some I thought would be fine. My prime objective with a mid level zoom is people grip and grin crap, my bread and butter corporate work. I need 28 to 60 and I really have the back end covered with my 55 and 85. Now maybe more a disappoint for many folks is the walk around lens style , landscape I would never use a zoom anyway. The problem to stay small there might not be alternative AF zoom unless though you get the Sony A adapter and look at maybe a Sigma or something for a A mount. My fear is it still would be bigger. I did not have really that high hopes for this lens when I bought the system. The 70-200 I do but mid level always has been a tough design to build.. Let's call it what it is a 28,30-60 zoom at least at 5.6. Fits my bill okay and good enough . My other glass are the quality lenses when it really counts but I'm picky like a lot of us here as well but for PR stuff it works fine.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I might just buy a cheap pancake Voightlander 40 in a Canon mount since I just bought canon mount on my Zeiss 25 and the metabones III adapter. Might be a great walk about lens

Post Thanks / Like

A great all around lens...just sold my A7 with kit lens to get this one with 7r

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just found a used Voightlander 40 Ultron for 364 bucks. I may just pull the trigger on it. To tide me over . I have this 25-55 gap now. Just want something cheap and small. I know the 35fE but I had a bad copy of it and don't want to spend 800 either. I just bought the farm with new Zeiss 25 and Sony 135 1.8 and I feel a baseball bat coming. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did it. So now my kit is Leica 19mm R, Zeiss 25 mm F2, Voightlander 40mm Ultron, 55mm FE, ZA 85 1.4 and ZA 135mm 1.8. I'm DONE

I'll add this zoom in a month or so. No hurry

Funny you can buy the 28 and 40 mm Voightlanders for walk around and still be less expensive than the 24-70. Now that folks is something to think about . One in the pocket one on the camera.

Post Thanks / Like

How is this lens at 28 or so? I keep reading about Leica R 28 version 2 and am getting tempted.....that 28 plus the FE 55 could make a nice pair for museums or other general use...

Post Thanks / Like

Two more shots to show why I'm in 'glass half full' mode with this lens. The first is a 100% crop of a handheld frame with OSS at 70mm F4 1/20th second...

The second looks a bit boring at small size but if you look at the original (try zooming it to 50%) you'll see that this lens has got the Zeiss mojo. Very articulate, subtle rendering but with 3D pop too. I am quite impressed by the bits of this lens that are impressive: 33mm F4 1/160th ISO200

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luvwine View Post
    How is this lens at 28 or so? I keep reading about Leica R 28 version 2 and am getting tempted.....that 28 plus the FE 55 could make a nice pair for museums or other general use...
    The lens you want cost about 2400 in the Leica 28mm. You do NOT want the old version. The one with a rectangle hood is the one you want . For me that was what I wanted was my 19 the 28 r glass but too much money on the R 28 right now. Maybe later.