Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 339

Thread: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

  1. #201
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul R View Post
    All excellent points. Thanks!
    I had my first real, extended shoot yesterday, with the A7r. Shot almost 600 pictures in about 2 hours on a sheep farm nearby. They "hired" me (trading eggs and fresh lamb meat for photos for their upcoming website) to document their new farm. I used mostly the FE24-70 but also the 70-400G2. It was a wonderful shooting experience which I will repeat now often.

    One problem I had, on both my A7r bodies, is that it would occasionally not focus and not recognize the lens attached. Out of the blue, it would just go weird this way. Turning the camera off and back on fixed the problem, but sure slowed me down when it happened. Have any you seen this?

    The FE24-70 was absolutely invaluable for this work, especially for the closeups of the turkey. The turkey was very curious and friendly, and followed me around for awhile. But he moved cash and so fast AF and OSS were essential. One example is attached. You can see the other 33 from yesterday on my site here, starting with the last image on that page:
    Pixels By Paul (Paul Richman)

    I've come to really love this lens, for subject matter like this. But I will use primes instead on my upcoming trip to Iceland.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #202
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul R View Post
    All excellent points. Thanks!
    I had my first real, extended shoot yesterday, with the A7r. Shot almost 600 pictures in about 2 hours on a sheep farm nearby. They "hired" me (trading eggs and fresh lamb meat for photos for their upcoming website) to document their new farm. I used mostly the FE24-70 but also the 70-400G2. It was a wonderful shooting experience which I will repeat now often.

    One problem I had, on both my A7r bodies, is that it would occasionally not focus and not recognize the lens attached. Out of the blue, it would just go weird this way. Turning the camera off and back on fixed the problem, but sure slowed me down when it happened. Have any you seen this?

    The FE24-70 was absolutely invaluable for this work, especially for the closeups of the turkey. The turkey was very curious and friendly, and followed me around for awhile. But he moved quickly. so fast AF was essential and OSS helpful. I tried to attach an example, but this post failed twice, so no example. You can see the 34 shots from yesterday on my site here, starting with the last image on that page:
    Pixels By Paul (Paul Richman)

    I've come to really love this lens, for subject matter like this. But I will use primes instead on my upcoming trip to Iceland.

  3. #203
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Nice shots Paul - I had an aunt who looked not unlike that turkey!

    Not sure if you've been to Iceland before but it is visual overload with a lot of very long views and stuff that looks interesting but is far away. I didn't take a zoom and I really wished I had!

  4. #204
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Nice shots Paul - I had an aunt who looked not unlike that turkey!

    Not sure if you've been to Iceland before but it is visual overload with a lot of very long views and stuff that looks interesting but is far away. I didn't take a zoom and I really wished I had!
    This is my first trip. I will have WATE and 70-400G2 zooms with me, along with 28, 35 and 55 primes. I usually don't like shooting landscape vignettes through allot of atmosphere. The long zoom is more for birds. How does that sound?

    Have you seen the weird A7r lockup I mentioned?

  5. #205
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I haven't had the lockup, no - sounds like you need to clean your lens contacts?

    That sounds like a lot of lenses! The air is often very clear there, so long lenses aren't a problem, and when the weather hits (which it does every other five minutes) the murk become part of the atmosphere of the shot.... like this one.



    Partly what to take depends on how you're getting around. If you have your own wheels, you'll have time. Guides often say that they're yours all day and then turn up with a handful of other tourists, which cramps your style and makes it difficult to stop for as long as you'd like to get the shot you want...
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #206
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I haven't had the lockup, no - sounds like you need to clean your lens contacts?

    That sounds like a lot of lenses! The air is often very clear there, so long lenses aren't a problem, and when the weather hits (which it does every other five minutes) the murk become part of the atmosphere of the shot.... like this one.



    Partly what to take depends on how you're getting around. If you have your own wheels, you'll have time. Guides often say that they're yours all day and then turn up with a handful of other tourists, which cramps your style and makes it difficult to stop for as long as you'd like to get the shot you want...
    Love that shot, but might not have liked standing there to shoot it. http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

    Good to know about the clearness. Now I won't hesitate looking for distant crops.

    I will be on a guided 12 day trip around the island by a pro photographer. Could be up to 6 or 7 other photographers with us. I tend to work slowly and take allot of pictures with each lens on tripod. I even like to use remote control and look at things on an iPad. So, I suspect I will have to streamline. I will also have 3 days in Reykjavik on my own, so I can go as slow as I like then.

  7. #207
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I might be tempted to go with 24-70 + 70-400 & 28 + 55 from your kit. With the primes mostly for the Reykjavik stuff. Or if you want to streamline even more, I suppose you could actually drop the 24-70, especially since you have 2 bodies. Have the 70-400 planted on one and then swap 28 & 55 on the other as needed. You'd have the reach and could also go wide and you could get some nice stitched panos with the 55.

    Now, that's all just clinical math... Another way to approachthis , which I'd probably do, would be to have a chat with that pro photog guide. He should have a good idea as to how much is feasibly to carry along your up coming route and also what kind of reach would be good.

    //Juha

  8. #208
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    That sounds like a pretty good deal, Paul, as the leader will know the best locations from a photographic POV, and the others will want similar amounts of time. Take warm gear and see if you can scout around a bit from where the vehicle stops - its amazing the difference even a small hill can make. Maybe 'bribe' the driver so he let's you stop anytime you see something good. I had my guys trained so well they even stopped in dodgy spots, which is often where the best vantage points are.

    Any research you can do pays handsome dividends on places to go, time of day - many places blow up windy or blizzard in the afternoon, etc. You might find you can pre-visualise what FL for each spot, and do try to settle on a 'main lens' or two as lens changes are fiddly, time consuming and sap precious composition preparation time, esp in tough conditions. Time is always shorter than you think and anything that gets in the way reduces your chances. I understand the tripod preference but they cost you a lot of flexibility, time and lost opportunities - I no longer carry one for travel.

    In general, individual car travel is worth the cost in results. Don't forget to look behind you! Bon voyage.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #209
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post

    In general, individual car travel is worth the cost in results. Don't forget to look behind you! Bon voyage.
    Philip, I totally agree. A guided photographic tour is a wonderful way of ticking the most significant boxes but a day or two of individual travel, even if you have to hire a driver, is really useful in Iceland - nearly all my favourite shots came from days when I did this.

  10. #210
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    My FE 24-70/4 is on its' way, arrival supposed to be Tuesday.

    I will run a quick test against the ZA 24-70/2.8 when it arrives just to see the difference in performance. Also want to see the difference between it @24mm, and my ZA24/2.

    Of course, I can NEVER get out of B&H without spending more than intended. Also ordered the new Voightlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter that shortens the minimum focus distance of M lenses which I will try with the M50/0.95 and M75AA, (should get the 75 down to about 1.15' from subject). I'll report back on that also.

    - Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #211
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    My FE 24-70/4 is on its' way, arrival supposed to be Tuesday.

    I will run a quick test against the ZA 24-70/2.8 when it arrives just to see the difference in performance. Also want to see the difference between it @24mm, and my ZA24/2.

    Of course, I can NEVER get out of B&H without spending more than intended. Also ordered the new Voightlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter that shortens the minimum focus distance of M lenses which I will try with the M50/0.95 and M75AA, (should get the 75 down to about 1.15' from subject). I'll report back on that also.

    - Marc
    Hi Marc
    Be sure to try the adapter with wider lenses as well (you'll get much closer) my favorite was the 35 summarit.

    Just this guy you know

  12. #212
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Marc
    Be sure to try the adapter with wider lenses as well (you'll get much closer) my favorite was the 35 summarit.
    Will do Jono!

    Be interesting to try the M21/1.4 ASPH.

    Thanks,

    - Marc

  13. #213
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Hi, those of you who got their 24-70, what's the firmware?

    I got it along with A7 today and Firmware version shows 1.01 for the camera and .01 for the lens.

    I am a bit afraid if its a pre-production version used previously as a display piece..

    Regards,

  14. #214
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Mine is packed for return to Sony so I'm afraid I can't help, it's not in the EXIF...

  15. #215
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I just got notice today that mine is ready for pick up at the dealers. I'll try and go get it tomorrow..

    //Juha

  16. #216
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Mine is packed for return to Sony so I'm afraid I can't help, it's not in the EXIF...
    HI Tim
    Did you buy it from Sony?
    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  17. #217
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    My FE 24-70/4 is on its' way, arrival supposed to be Tuesday.

    I will run a quick test against the ZA 24-70/2.8 when it arrives just to see the difference in performance.

    - Marc
    I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this. I'm currently shooting an A99 and have been considering some glass additions, but I'm now contemplating a move to the A7R. The one lens in my current setup that I really like, is the ZA 24-70/2.8. I've heard some rumblings that the Sony LA-EA4 can be prone to mirror scratches though, which has me a bit concerned. So...if I head into A7R land and the FE 24-70/F4 is 'really close' in performance, I might opt for the native lens thing.

  18. #218
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
    Hi, those of you who got their 24-70, what's the firmware?

    I got it along with A7 today and Firmware version shows 1.01 for the camera and .01 for the lens.

    I am a bit afraid if its a pre-production version used previously as a display piece..

    Regards,
    I have the same version as yours for both camera and lens (24-70). I got the lens few days ago from Sony Store Europe.

  19. #219
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this. I'm currently shooting an A99 and have been considering some glass additions, but I'm now contemplating a move to the A7R. The one lens in my current setup that I really like, is the ZA 24-70/2.8. I've heard some rumblings that the Sony LA-EA4 can be prone to mirror scratches though, which has me a bit concerned. So...if I head into A7R land and the FE 24-70/F4 is 'really close' in performance, I might opt for the native lens thing.
    I am curious about the "Mirror Scratching" on the LAEA-4 Adapter. Can you elaborate? I'd like to know so I can take care to avoid circumstances that may lead to this happening.

    Thanks,

    - Marc

  20. #220
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I am curious about the "Mirror Scratching" on the LAEA-4 Adapter. Can you elaborate? I'd like to know so I can take care to avoid circumstances that may lead to this happening.

    Thanks,

    - Marc
    Hi Marc - I think I first read something about this on the LuLa forum but I can't find the thread. However, there's also this from the LA-EA4 page on the LensRentals site:

    'The translucent mirror that is used in this item is extremely sensitive. If it is touched with almost anything, it will scratch.'

    -Doug

  21. #221
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    Hi Marc - I think I first read something about this on the LuLa forum but I can't find the thread. However, there's also this from the LA-EA4 page on the LensRentals site:

    'The translucent mirror that is used in this item is extremely sensitive. If it is touched with almost anything, it will scratch.'

    -Doug
    Thanks Doug I am now aware and will exercise great care as I do with the A99 SLT translucent mirror.

    - Marc

  22. #222
    Senior Member pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I don't think the mirror is more prone to scratching than the one in the A99, but it's the fact you have adapter openings on both sides (vs. just in the front with the A99) that increases the probability of something getting in there and touching the mirror.

    I've already read a story of a person sticking his thumb through the mirror of an LA-EA2, so with the larger mirror in the 4 it might even happen sooner. It costed him almost 100 € to get a replacement mirror in there.

  23. #223
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Just got my 24-70 today. Can't say I've really tried it.. just couple of focusing tests in a dimly lit room. One thing that was painfully obvious was that the AF will be useless in dim conditions. As soon as I turned on more light, the lens focusing nicely. This lens is clearly for daytime shooting only!

    Also the focus throw when using manual focus was weird. Seems like the focus speed is dependent on how fast you rotate the focus ring. It was hard to focus manually. Maybe this will change with practise, but I'll keep this lens for daytime & AF... need to figure out something else for night time.

    And this was based on first 5 minutes with the lens, about all the time I had to play around.

    Oh and need to keep the shade stored separately, if you reverse it on the lens it'll interfere your zooming and totally block manual focus.

    //Juha

  24. #224
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Mine just showed up. Not sure I totally agree about low light AF performance. This was handheld in a dark elevator. Focus was quick and nailed. That said, there is good contrast for it to pick up.

    Have just snapped around the office but so far I *really* like this lens. I don't feel like I'm losing any detail from the A7r sensor, corners seem reasonable, and it handles well - though I wouldn't mind a bit more damping on the MF ring. OSS is great and handheld video is viable.



    crop

  25. #225
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by jlindstrom View Post
    Also the focus throw when using manual focus was weird. Seems like the focus speed is dependent on how fast you rotate the focus ring. It was hard to focus manually. Maybe this will change with practise, but I'll keep this lens for daytime & AF... need to figure out something else for night time.
    That's the way the Sony works with native lenses. It senses manual focus "speed" (i.e., how fast you turn the focus ring) and selects a course or fine focus adjustment. That lets you quickly manually focus to the approximate focus and then use a fine adjustment to nail focus. Once you use it for awhile, you'll either like it or hate it. I like it.

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography

  26. #226
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Ok, so despite vowing not to buy this lens, I ended up placing an order last Friday at B&H and got the lens today.

    First impressions: the damn thing is large! I mean large compared to the diminutive Leica M lenses I have been using. Makes me appreciate my little M lens babies so much more! This lens will sure attract attention.

    Focus in low light was not bad at all and always locked on. MF focus ring ok and quite usable. Build seems good. The el-cheapo vinyl "case" that Sony included is a shame, but then I am not paying Leica prices, so probably fine. Be careful when taking the lens out from the vinyl case - the way it is packed, hood on top and lens at the bottom, it almost slipped from my hands - I thought I had it firmly in my grasp, but I was only holding the hood and the lens was perched precariously on it...**phew**

    Shots to follow tomorrow in daylight, weather permitting. If it works well from 30mm-60mm then I am blessed.

    - Eeraj

  27. #227
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    Not sure I totally agree about low light AF performance. This was handheld in a dark elevator. Focus was quick and nailed. That said, there is good contrast for it to pick up.
    Must be the contrast. My 2 minute test had significantly less contrast to focus on. Basically a gap between sofa cushions. The sofa is light in color and the gap naturally dark due to shadow.. Also it was at maximum tele, whether that chages things or not, I don't know,

    I also think it was even dimmer than what the elevator pic is showing.

    But as said, it was a quick 2 minute playing around. And I wouldn't use this kind of lens for low light indoor shooting anyway. I have the 35/2.8 & 55/1.8 for that.

    //Juha

  28. #228
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    One this I will say - AF slows in low light as you get longer. Reasonable at 24mm, slow and hunts at 70mm.

  29. #229
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Okay, so I haven't been paying much attention... so there is lens firmware, any guesses whether this can help improve the hunting and low light issues in the long run?

    Zooms for me, well they just got to work. I'm used to shooting primes, and on the Canon system, the zooms just work, extremely high quality both in performance and output. So good in fact I can be lazy and all those lenses just sit pretty in my camera bag. I had really hoped hunting could be be a thing of the past or reside in cheaper or older systems, certainly not on the FE system or at this price point!
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  30. #230
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    A little update for anyone interested: I returned my first copy of the lens to Sony Store Europe because, impressed though I was with the potential of the design, mine had an asymmetry that showed as a left side weakness at the wide end and flipped to the right side at 70mm whilst being neutral in the middle. My new copy arrived at a local store today and has the exact opposite behaviour and, because it is still unbalanced at 50mm is less useful. So that is going back and a new one will replace it tomorrow. So a word to all purchasers: make sure you test yours quickly and be prepared to return: the curse of sample variation continues!

    Of course Sony is not alone in this, and mid range zooms can be quite prone to it with all the rotating bits inside )I was never able to get a good Nikkor 24-120 for example) but I think the Sony 24-70 F4 OSS has such strong potential that I am willing to give the cherry a few bites to see if I can find a good copy...

  31. #231
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Need any reports at 70mm if anyone can give me a update at that focal length
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  32. #232
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    not sure if this is useful, but the requisite parking structure brick wall at various lengths. LR5, no correction or post. 24, 35, 50, 70 at f4, 5.6, 8, 11.

    http://nostatic.com/photos/24-70-t1/

  33. #233
    Senior Member ddanois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    My copy is super soft at 70mm at all apertures. The wide end is good all the way up to 50/60mm at 5.6.

  34. #234
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Need any reports at 70mm if anyone can give me a update at that focal length
    My 24-70 is super sharp at 24mm and becomes progressively less sharp as you approach 70mm. 70m is definitely the weakest focal length. The corners are not sharp at any aperture. This is my second sample, BTW. I returned the first sample due to poor performance in the outer zones at 24mm. The second sample is vastly superior in this regard.

  35. #235
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    A few quick snaps, full-size jpgs (lens comp turned off in camera) uploaded here:

    http://1drv.ms/1fsbqGD

    Ignore the tree pics, they are at 61mm.

    Will try to provide better samples, it was too cold and windy to stand for more than a few minutes.

  36. #236
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    It does seem that there's a lot of sample variation. Again, I question Zeiss's wisdom in allowing Sony to manufacture under license (if that is indeed what's happening) but putting the Zeiss name on it. I have now unboxed 8 FE lenses and have one that is brilliant and one that is 'good enough'... the search for a good copy of the zoom will continue though: it's a key item.

  37. #237
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Looking at my full size images, I'm in the "good enough" camp at this point. It is soft on the edges at the long end, but in typical use it is in the ballpark with the primes in the middle. And, well, I don't have a 70mm prime

  38. #238
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I can't see your files full size, so I can't tell, but are the left and right sides equally sharp?

  39. #239
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Here are links to the full size outputs at 70mm. I used the lens correction for the 28-70 FE which seems to be in the ballpark:

    http://nostatic.com/photos/70-f4.jpg

    http://nostatic.com/photos/70-f56.jpg

    http://nostatic.com/photos/70-f8.jpg

    http://nostatic.com/photos/70-f11.jpg

  40. #240
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

  41. #241
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

  42. #242
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Thanks but I'd need to know more to make sense of them. Did you shoot RAW or jpeg, what sharpening if the latter. etc etc etc...

  43. #243
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    948
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by jaree View Post
    A few quick snaps, full-size jpgs (lens comp turned off in camera) uploaded here:

    http://1drv.ms/1fsbqGD

    Ignore the tree pics, they are at 61mm.

    Will try to provide better samples, it was too cold and windy to stand for more than a few minutes.
    These look pretty sharp to me, at least in the center, but what is the distortion in the roof line all about? I would not expect to see that in a lens at 70mm.

  44. #244
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    You are right about the distortion - I had switched off all in camera lens comp while taking these shots. I am not sure if this is "normal".

    All of these were shot RAW, PP in LR (sharpening = 48, radius = 0.8, detail = 36, masking=11).

    Also does anyone know if in-camera lens comp is applied to RAWs also?

    I need to do more tests - right now, I am not sure if this lens is really worth the price. I will say however, that it does seem to have very good flare resistance.

    UPDATE: I applied 28-70FE profile in LR and the distortion in now (almost) gone: http://1drv.ms/1dBhw1R But I am really surprised that it needs distortion correction at 70MM.

    If anyone needs RAWs, please let me know.

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    These look pretty sharp to me, at least in the center, but what is the distortion in the roof line all about? I would not expect to see that in a lens at 70mm.
    Last edited by jaree; 26th February 2014 at 15:57.

  45. #245
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Thanks but I'd need to know more to make sense of them. Did you shoot RAW or jpeg, what sharpening if the latter. etc etc etc...
    Shot raw. Pulled into LR5 with the default A7r profile. No post applied other than lens correction for the 28-70 FE. Shot DRO auto. Jpg output from LR used the default sharpening for screen.

    If you're a glutton for punishment, raws:

    http://nostatic.com/photos/raws.zip (590MB)

  46. #246
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Thanks folks I'll start looking at your samples. It may come to 70mm might be better with the 70-200. Will have to see how this winds up
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  47. #247
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    353
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Update 2: Uncorrected RAWs, distortion starts to show up at 50MM+. At 60MM it is pretty visible.

  48. #248
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    It does seem that there's a lot of sample variation. Again, I question Zeiss's wisdom in allowing Sony to manufacture under license (if that is indeed what's happening) but putting the Zeiss name on it. I have now unboxed 8 FE lenses and have one that is brilliant and one that is 'good enough'... the search for a good copy of the zoom will continue though: it's a key item.
    Unfortunately, sample variation affects all manufacturers. I have owned multiple samples of various Leica 35mm and 50mm in M mount. Some were superb, some not so.

  49. #249
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by jaree View Post
    Update 2: Uncorrected RAWs, distortion starts to show up at 50MM+. At 60MM it is pretty visible.
    Pincushion?
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  50. #250
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    Unfortunately, sample variation affects all manufacturers. I have owned multiple samples of various Leica 35mm and 50mm in M mount. Some were superb, some not so.
    Me too - but I'd say about three out of maybe fifteen M lenses I've owned were less than acceptable at first shot. I never had a dud Canon lens. Nikons it seemed about maybe 30% went back, as a guess. I've owned few Zeiss lenses but I'd put their ratio similar to Leica. With Sony lenses I have been quite unlucky of late!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •