The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

Paul R

All excellent points. Thanks!
I had my first real, extended shoot yesterday, with the A7r. Shot almost 600 pictures in about 2 hours on a sheep farm nearby. They "hired" me (trading eggs and fresh lamb meat for photos for their upcoming website) to document their new farm. I used mostly the FE24-70 but also the 70-400G2. It was a wonderful shooting experience which I will repeat now often.

One problem I had, on both my A7r bodies, is that it would occasionally not focus and not recognize the lens attached. Out of the blue, it would just go weird this way. Turning the camera off and back on fixed the problem, but sure slowed me down when it happened. Have any you seen this?

The FE24-70 was absolutely invaluable for this work, especially for the closeups of the turkey. The turkey was very curious and friendly, and followed me around for awhile. But he moved cash and so fast AF and OSS were essential. One example is attached. You can see the other 33 from yesterday on my site here, starting with the last image on that page:
Pixels By Paul (Paul Richman)

I've come to really love this lens, for subject matter like this. But I will use primes instead on my upcoming trip to Iceland.

Paul R

All excellent points. Thanks!
I had my first real, extended shoot yesterday, with the A7r. Shot almost 600 pictures in about 2 hours on a sheep farm nearby. They "hired" me (trading eggs and fresh lamb meat for photos for their upcoming website) to document their new farm. I used mostly the FE24-70 but also the 70-400G2. It was a wonderful shooting experience which I will repeat now often.

One problem I had, on both my A7r bodies, is that it would occasionally not focus and not recognize the lens attached. Out of the blue, it would just go weird this way. Turning the camera off and back on fixed the problem, but sure slowed me down when it happened. Have any you seen this?

The FE24-70 was absolutely invaluable for this work, especially for the closeups of the turkey. The turkey was very curious and friendly, and followed me around for awhile. But he moved quickly. so fast AF was essential and OSS helpful. I tried to attach an example, but this post failed twice, so no example. You can see the 34 shots from yesterday on my site here, starting with the last image on that page:
Pixels By Paul (Paul Richman)

I've come to really love this lens, for subject matter like this. But I will use primes instead on my upcoming trip to Iceland.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Nice shots Paul - I had an aunt who looked not unlike that turkey!

Not sure if you've been to Iceland before but it is visual overload with a lot of very long views and stuff that looks interesting but is far away. I didn't take a zoom and I really wished I had!

Paul R

Nice shots Paul - I had an aunt who looked not unlike that turkey!

Not sure if you've been to Iceland before but it is visual overload with a lot of very long views and stuff that looks interesting but is far away. I didn't take a zoom and I really wished I had!
This is my first trip. I will have WATE and 70-400G2 zooms with me, along with 28, 35 and 55 primes. I usually don't like shooting landscape vignettes through allot of atmosphere. The long zoom is more for birds. How does that sound?

Have you seen the weird A7r lockup I mentioned?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I haven't had the lockup, no - sounds like you need to clean your lens contacts?

That sounds like a lot of lenses! The air is often very clear there, so long lenses aren't a problem, and when the weather hits (which it does every other five minutes) the murk become part of the atmosphere of the shot.... like this one.

Partly what to take depends on how you're getting around. If you have your own wheels, you'll have time. Guides often say that they're yours all day and then turn up with a handful of other tourists, which cramps your style and makes it difficult to stop for as long as you'd like to get the shot you want...

Paul R

I haven't had the lockup, no - sounds like you need to clean your lens contacts?

That sounds like a lot of lenses! The air is often very clear there, so long lenses aren't a problem, and when the weather hits (which it does every other five minutes) the murk become part of the atmosphere of the shot.... like this one.

Partly what to take depends on how you're getting around. If you have your own wheels, you'll have time. Guides often say that they're yours all day and then turn up with a handful of other tourists, which cramps your style and makes it difficult to stop for as long as you'd like to get the shot you want...
Love that shot, but might not have liked standing there to shoot it. http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Good to know about the clearness. Now I won't hesitate looking for distant crops.

I will be on a guided 12 day trip around the island by a pro photographer. Could be up to 6 or 7 other photographers with us. I tend to work slowly and take allot of pictures with each lens on tripod. I even like to use remote control and look at things on an iPad. So, I suspect I will have to streamline. I will also have 3 days in Reykjavik on my own, so I can go as slow as I like then.

I might be tempted to go with 24-70 + 70-400 & 28 + 55 from your kit. With the primes mostly for the Reykjavik stuff. Or if you want to streamline even more, I suppose you could actually drop the 24-70, especially since you have 2 bodies. Have the 70-400 planted on one and then swap 28 & 55 on the other as needed. You'd have the reach and could also go wide and you could get some nice stitched panos with the 55.

Now, that's all just clinical math... Another way to approachthis , which I'd probably do, would be to have a chat with that pro photog guide. He should have a good idea as to how much is feasibly to carry along your up coming route and also what kind of reach would be good.

//Juha

philip_pj

That sounds like a pretty good deal, Paul, as the leader will know the best locations from a photographic POV, and the others will want similar amounts of time. Take warm gear and see if you can scout around a bit from where the vehicle stops - its amazing the difference even a small hill can make. Maybe 'bribe' the driver so he let's you stop anytime you see something good. I had my guys trained so well they even stopped in dodgy spots, which is often where the best vantage points are.

Any research you can do pays handsome dividends on places to go, time of day - many places blow up windy or blizzard in the afternoon, etc. You might find you can pre-visualise what FL for each spot, and do try to settle on a 'main lens' or two as lens changes are fiddly, time consuming and sap precious composition preparation time, esp in tough conditions. Time is always shorter than you think and anything that gets in the way reduces your chances. I understand the tripod preference but they cost you a lot of flexibility, time and lost opportunities - I no longer carry one for travel.

In general, individual car travel is worth the cost in results. Don't forget to look behind you! Bon voyage.

tashley

Subscriber Member
In general, individual car travel is worth the cost in results. Don't forget to look behind you! Bon voyage.
Philip, I totally agree. A guided photographic tour is a wonderful way of ticking the most significant boxes but a day or two of individual travel, even if you have to hire a driver, is really useful in Iceland - nearly all my favourite shots came from days when I did this.

fotografz

My FE 24-70/4 is on its' way, arrival supposed to be Tuesday.

I will run a quick test against the ZA 24-70/2.8 when it arrives just to see the difference in performance. Also want to see the difference between it @24mm, and my ZA24/2.

Of course, I can NEVER get out of B&H without spending more than intended. Also ordered the new Voightlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter that shortens the minimum focus distance of M lenses … which I will try with the M50/0.95 and M75AA, (should get the 75 down to about 1.15' from subject). I'll report back on that also.

- Marc

jonoslack

I will run a quick test against the ZA 24-70/2.8 when it arrives just to see the difference in performance. Also want to see the difference between it @24mm, and my ZA24/2.

Of course, I can NEVER get out of B&H without spending more than intended. Also ordered the new Voightlander VM-E Close Focus Adapter that shortens the minimum focus distance of M lenses … which I will try with the M50/0.95 and M75AA, (should get the 75 down to about 1.15' from subject). I'll report back on that also.

- Marc
Hi Marc
Be sure to try the adapter with wider lenses as well (you'll get much closer) my favorite was the 35 summarit.

nandadevieast

Hi, those of you who got their 24-70, what's the firmware?

I got it along with A7 today and Firmware version shows 1.01 for the camera and .01 for the lens.

I am a bit afraid if its a pre-production version used previously as a display piece..

Regards,

dwood

I will run a quick test against the ZA 24-70/2.8 when it arrives just to see the difference in performance.

- Marc
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this. I'm currently shooting an A99 and have been considering some glass additions, but I'm now contemplating a move to the A7R. The one lens in my current setup that I really like, is the ZA 24-70/2.8. I've heard some rumblings that the Sony LA-EA4 can be prone to mirror scratches though, which has me a bit concerned. So...if I head into A7R land and the FE 24-70/F4 is 'really close' in performance, I might opt for the native lens thing.

Hi, those of you who got their 24-70, what's the firmware?

I got it along with A7 today and Firmware version shows 1.01 for the camera and .01 for the lens.

I am a bit afraid if its a pre-production version used previously as a display piece..

Regards,
I have the same version as yours for both camera and lens (24-70). I got the lens few days ago from Sony Store Europe.

fotografz

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on this. I'm currently shooting an A99 and have been considering some glass additions, but I'm now contemplating a move to the A7R. The one lens in my current setup that I really like, is the ZA 24-70/2.8. I've heard some rumblings that the Sony LA-EA4 can be prone to mirror scratches though, which has me a bit concerned. So...if I head into A7R land and the FE 24-70/F4 is 'really close' in performance, I might opt for the native lens thing.
I am curious about the "Mirror Scratching" on the LAEA-4 Adapter. Can you elaborate? I'd like to know so I can take care to avoid circumstances that may lead to this happening.

Thanks,

- Marc

dwood

I am curious about the "Mirror Scratching" on the LAEA-4 Adapter. Can you elaborate? I'd like to know so I can take care to avoid circumstances that may lead to this happening.

Thanks,

- Marc
Hi Marc - I think I first read something about this on the LuLa forum but I can't find the thread. However, there's also this from the LA-EA4 page on the LensRentals site:

'The translucent mirror that is used in this item is extremely sensitive. If it is touched with almost anything, it will scratch.'

-Doug