The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

jonoslack

Good Oh!
Thank you Guy, now it seems we are allowed to admit to being interested in the RX10 . . .
Todd - you must get one and add it to your nice size comparison.
I'll buy one and sell everything except the M . . . Who's going to start the 'fun with the RX-10' thread?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually the RX-10 looks pretty interesting for video for sure and I do have a video gig coming up. Also and i need to read more about it is tracking models walking down a runway. Right now I need the 70-200 FE to actually do that better than I did in January. The ZA adapter is great but the focusing AF points don't get to where I need it to be. I don't know if the RX 10 does either and have to look at it. But more importantly is this really is a backup if i hit a A7r failure and selling the A7 gets me the 24-70right now. Big ifs here so its worth research to see what makes sense but yea like to hear more on the RX-10. The dang A6000 looks real interesting too and maybe better with a 70-200 FE. Im in the air on the secondary cam. Primary is the A7r and real happy with that

nostatic

I'm just still confused from this weekend. It rained in LA. It never rains in California - the girls only warn you...

Messed with the RX10 at the local shop. They are doing a "no sales tax" promo which around here is about a 10% savings. Handling is nice, AF is snappier than the A7r (shot them back to back in the shop). Files aren't as nice but such is physics. Having the constant 2.8 is nice and you can get some subject separation at the long end without much problem. Video is good enough for govt work. Thinking maybe the RX100ii would go as I'd then take the RX1r as a "pocket" camera (or use my iPhone). The downside to the RX100ii is then lens quickly gets slow so once you're beyond 35mm you lose AF performance, etc. So while I can shoot at 100mm, it has to be in good light. The alternative is shooting the RX1r @ 35mm and cropping to get rough the same effect. The RX10 @ 200/2.8 was pretty well behaved.

Jeff Kott

Nostatic,

What exactly is it that you're looking for this 2nd camera to do for you?

I messed with the RX10 at my local shop yesterday. The only reason that I'm considering it is for videos of the little munchkin. On the other hand, I think I'll get an AF lens for my A7r (the 55) and see if that works.

nostatic

A good question. The A7r certainly is the go-to still cam when I want ultimate resolution or low light capability (assuming I'm not too worried about AF). There are occasions when I can't use it though. For instance, if there is a video shoot or discussion going on, the A7r shutter will disrupt things. I've had it happen, so I needed to find a silent partner. I had the RX100ii and that will go silent but has limits. I managed to find a used RX1r and that is the current "solution" - it'll shoot silent, still give me gorgeous FF files, and will do video as well. The only downside to it is lack of an EVF. I could buy the external one, but then it becomes a bit of a kludge.

Upside to the RX10 is a good 2.8 zoom, silent shooting, video capability, and no messing about. Downside is 1" sensor vs FF - once you've been to the city, hard to go back to the farm. I'm trying to minimize my gear and be reasonably efficient. I could live with A7r and RX1r, and keep the RX100ii for shooting longer (assuming good light). But not sure I really need a pocket camera, and the RX1r isn't that much larger - though it will certainly not fit in my pants pocket.

The other thing I'm trying to solve is having a longer lens to shoot sometimes. Right now I top out at 70mm on the A7r, and the 70-200/4 is just too big/heavy for my taste. At that point, might as well drag the 6D out. So the RX10 could cover that angle - again, if I can come to terms with less-than-FF files now that I'm spoiled.

Jeff Kott

Sorry we've taken this thread slightly OT, but Nostatic and I are pondering some of the same things. If anyone wants to chime in on how the 24-70 does with video on the A7 or A7r, we could pull this on topic and I'd be interested.

Nostatic, yes I also have an RX100 and it does really well with video of the munchkin. The 1.8 lens is a real plus, but as you mentioned, the max aperture increase too quickly if you try and zoom in. I don't have an RX1, so don't know how that will work for me.

The RX10 would be great around the house for video, but I'll always want the A7r with me when I leave the house because if I don't have it I will surely see something that will make me wish that I did. I was hoping the RX10 would feel more compact, but it's not and it's hard for me to imagine running around with the A7r and RX10. I'm a still shooter first and will always want to have the ability to take great stills with me and the A7r files have spoiled me. I think if I had an RX1, I would throw that in my bag to be my "silent shooter" along with the A7r. My feeling on the RX10 after playing with it is that it's too big to take along as a second camera, although I love the concept.

nostatic

My quick and dirty video with the 24-70 indicates it is well behaved on the A7r. Downside is that AF gets slower as you zoom, so it can have a tendency to hunt at 70mm. I think the RX10 is a better AF camera for vid in that regard (plus the wider DoF helps). I started another thread to unhijack this one

m_driscoll

Good Oh!
Thank you Guy, now it seems we are allowed to admit to being interested in the RX10 . . .
Todd - you must get one and add it to your nice size comparison.
I'll buy one and sell everything except the M . . . Who's going to start the 'fun with the RX-10' thread?
I'd start a fun with A6000 thread when mine comes, but, it'd just be "moved". . . I've fondled the RX10 a few times. :D

nostatic

Ok, I shot more video and stills tonight in a low light church. The 24-70/4 is a keeper for video. Handheld was totally usable, AF was well behaved. The RX1r is surprisingly good for video as well. But any indecision about the zoom is gone now. Yes, I prefer the primes for stills, but the lack of OSS makes handheld video next to impossible. The 24-70 solves that problem.

Viramati

Certainly sound like a good lens for video but for stills it is just to slow for me as I need to be able to stop movement with high shutter speeds and for this OSS is really not of any use in this focal length range. I can see it as a good 'out for a walk' landscape or general use lens in good light

nugat

Certainly sound like a good lens for video but for stills it is just to slow for me as I need to be able to stop movement with high shutter speeds and for this OSS is really not of any use in this focal length range. I can see it as a good 'out for a walk' landscape or general use lens in good light

So one stop (from f4 to 2.8) makes all that difference? How was it when usable ISO was like 400 and not 6400...