Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 339

Thread: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

  1. #1
    Senior Member ecsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tax State
    Posts
    549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Found a pic on CNN this morning of the Sony 24-70 lens mounted and extended on the A7r camera. With the hood, this thing is long i would imagine.

    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    No CA
    Posts
    795
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    What's the point of a small camera with a humungous lens like that? IMO it's what's called a self-defeating behavior.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    3,298
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    What's the point of a small camera with a humungous lens like that? IMO it's what's called a self-defeating behavior.
    Doesn't that depend on what you use it for?
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    487
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I tried the lens at a shop here in HK. Very well balance on the A7 and similar size comparing to the 28-70mm kit lens. It stick out when shooting at the tele ends, but doesn't really bother me. I ordered one already.
    Yat

    www.flickr.com/yatlee
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    384
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Where in Hong Kong? I went out a few hours ago and have no clue when and where this lens will be available?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    3

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    The FE 24-70mm is 10mm (0.39") longer than the 28-70mm FE lens.
    The a7r is 465 grams and the 24-70/4 is 426 grams. Most extending zooms are not front heavy when extended, and the left hand cradles the larger diameter gnurled ring.

    The extra beefy chassis of the a7r over the a7 is one reason to trust it with at least medium weight lenses. It is very comfortable indeed with an LA-EA3 adapter and lenses around 500 grams, because the right hand works the controls while holding the very good grip, the left hand focuses and/or balances the whole package. Users are very happy with all manner of lenses, many much larger than the 24-70/4.

    By comparison a D800e and 24-70/2.8 Nikkor weighs in at 1,894 grams; the a7r and 24-70/4 weighs 891 grams.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    England
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Try the Sony Style shop a couple of shops down from Sogo, 16th floor, CWB They carry a lot of the A7 stuff.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    487
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Hi Mark,

    I saw the lens at the Sony Style shop at Causeway Bay. The pre-order has started.

    SEL2470Z//Q AE EN - sony.com.hk

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
    Where in Hong Kong? I went out a few hours ago and have no clue when and where this lens will be available?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    What's the point of a small camera with a humungous lens like that? IMO it's what's called a self-defeating behavior.
    Quite so. Ever since Sony came up with the NEX idea I've been waiting for a set of decent pancakes for them which would certainly add meaning to the small package. I've got a NEX 6 and bought the Sigma 19 before they came up with the 20mm pancake a bit too late (the 16mm's not what I'd call decent quality) and am still waiting for a 70mm (105 mm equivalent). This would replace the Pentax K5 with 21mm and 70mm pancakes I had as the optimal street kit a couple of years ago.
    Come on Sony; it's what these cameras are crying out for, especially now the A7's desperately need compact lenses that fill the 35mm frame ...

  10. #10
    Member losta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NY metro area
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    It's supposed to ship in the US on Feb 2nd. I ordered mine from B&H the day the camera was announced and I got my camera in November (from B&H) before Sony started shipping them.

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Mmm, availability in Holland seems to be postponed from the end of January to the end of February.

    :sleep006:
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  12. #12
    Senior Member mjm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Has anyone seen any reviews on this lens yet? I'm very interested in it as a knock-around lens when I am not using a fixed focal length, but I really don't want to commit until I see some images and a few test results.


    ---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I will hopefully get an early copy and will review it in-depth, including an opinion as to how it fares against the much cheaper 28-70 kit lens, asap.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32° 31' 37.06" N, 111° 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Last I checked (which is just about every day) B&H they show end of Feb. we're on the pre order list so all we can do is wait.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    THey had a bunch on ebay from Japan. 2 -3 day shipping

  16. #16
    Senior Member Slingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Here is a link I have uplifted from the SAR comments showing some samples with the SEL2470z and A7R

    Sony A7R + SEL2470Z

    I don't see thumbnails but the images show when I click on the green links.
    Last edited by Slingers; 15th January 2014 at 01:47. Reason: was to make the link display nice as the default characters weren't displaying
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Knorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    THey had a bunch on ebay from Japan. 2 -3 day shipping
    Well, I don't think so, they seem all pre-order ads.

    Release**2014.1.24**

    This item is PRESALE and we will ship this item after January 24, 2014.
    ※Please note that the release date may get later than expected and then our shipping may delay.
    Bart ...

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I got my A7r today and part of my deal was this 24-70 lens. I got everything else except this zoom, which was promised to be delivered in march.

    So at least the main pro dealers in Finland have no availability prior to that.

    //Juha


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I'm in the UK and have the lens on pre-order. The latest email update (2 days ago) says anticipate being able to supply within 10-14 days.



    Bob.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    OOPs i thought i had seen one or two that stated in stock and ready to go

    Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Well, I don't think so, they seem all pre-order ads.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Finally some photos from the upcoming Sony/Zeiss 24-70mm f4 and a mini-review. Link

    Looks promising to me. Hopefully some of the guys with the kit zoom can offer opinion on these samples.

  22. #22
    Senior Member MikeEvangelist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    The supposed US release date has come and gone. Anyone gotten a lens, or a shipping confirmation?

  23. #23
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    There was a news item a few days back that the first batch to ship outside of asia has some production issues and had been recalled before shipping such that the date has now slipped by a month.

  24. #24
    Senior Member MikeEvangelist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    ...the date has now slipped by a month.

  25. #25
    Senior Member nostatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    There was a news item a few days back that the first batch to ship outside of asia has some production issues and had been recalled before shipping such that the date has now slipped by a month.
    Infinity better to wait a month and get a good copy vs a bunch of disgruntled early adopters.
    new album | nostatic | music
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    When are they gonna make a wide prime (21-28) or ultrawide zoom - that's what I'm waiting for.

    I too will be interested to see how the 24-70 compares to the very reasonable kit 28-70!

  27. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    27

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I ordered mine from Matsuiyastore, a large Japanese store on eBay. They had 3 units in stock over the week-end, all gone now. I received my tracking number from Japan Post this morning, with an estimated delivery date of Feb 5 thru 10. Other Japanese and HK stores only had preorders with shipping dates ranging from mid-Feb to early March. I need the lens for a particular shoot Feb 20, so I figured I might as well cancel BH and try my luck with Japan. I have bought a lens from Japan before and I didn't have to pay duties, we'll see what happens this time.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    There is an import fee from Japan to USA but not Hong Kong cannot remember China. However whether it gets added on etc who knows. I looked this up the other day.

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    860
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    76

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I just got a delivery estimate date of March 4 to March 14 from Amazon for the Sony Zeiss 24-70mm. I am trying to convince myself to hang in there and wait on it. The few preliminary reviews I have seen imply the lens is good but I not great.

  30. #30
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    There is an import fee from Japan to USA but not Hong Kong cannot remember China. However whether it gets added on etc who knows. I looked this up the other day.
    Here is no import fee from Japan to USA. I have purchased lenses from Matsuiya store for some time now and did not have to pay fees. I got my EF55/1.8 from them last month. They are selling the EF35/2.8 for less than $700 USD now.

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Ocean where are you from. Here is a way to estimate import fees. Lenses from Japan to USA is 2.3%
    Import duty & taxes made easy | DutyCalculator

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    16

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
    Here is no import fee from Japan to USA. I have purchased lenses from Matsuiya store for some time now and did not have to pay fees. I got my EF55/1.8 from them last month. They are selling the EF35/2.8 for less than $700 USD now.
    Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Ocean where are you from. Here is a way to estimate import fees. Lenses from Japan to USA is 2.3%
    Import duty & taxes made easy | DutyCalculator
    Mark…..regardless of the duty calculator, I have purchased at least a dozen new and used lenses from Matsuiya store and have never paid duty.

    I live in Hawaii…..which surprisingly (or not) a large number of tourists consider it to be a foreign country

    R

  33. #33
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Minomaniac (pg. 137 #11) at Sony A7(r) Images Thread - FM Forums posted some images, and a link to the original raws (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jzbf4e9ogj1o3vf/V7XrWcz7lT) shot with the a7r and 24-70/4

    Graham
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    27

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Received my FE 24-70 yesterday while I was shooting at Valley of Fire, NV. No customs duties, so that settles the matter of duties from Japan. This was the second time I bought a lens online from Japan and on both occasions I didn't incur any duties. I'm holding it in my hands now, it's quite small and lightweight. A huge relief because I need a zoom to shoot the Venice Carnival later this month and I would have been unable to use the monstrous A24-70 rental, which weighs a ton, is very unwieldy used on the A7R with the big Sony adapter, and furthermore is not stabilized...and the autofocus hunts at the slightest sign of darkness.
    I was pleasantly surprised to notice that there is no manual switch to disengage image stabilization. Sony must have a way to stop it when the lens is on a tripod or other stable platform. Just as well because I more often than not forgot to disengage on Canon or Nikon lenses.
    I'll run some tests tomorrow to make sure it's working properly.

  35. #35
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by princepollux View Post
    Received my FE 24-70 yesterday while I was shooting at Valley of Fire, NV. No customs duties, so that settles the matter of duties from Japan. This was the second time I bought a lens online from Japan and on both occasions I didn't incur any duties. I'm holding it in my hands now, it's quite small and lightweight. A huge relief because I need a zoom to shoot the Venice Carnival later this month and I would have been unable to use the monstrous A24-70 rental, which weighs a ton, is very unwieldy used on the A7R with the big Sony adapter, and furthermore is not stabilized...and the autofocus hunts at the slightest sign of darkness.
    I was pleasantly surprised to notice that there is no manual switch to disengage image stabilization. Sony must have a way to stop it when the lens is on a tripod or other stable platform. Just as well because I more often than not forgot to disengage on Canon or Nikon lenses.
    I'll run some tests tomorrow to make sure it's working properly.
    IS on/off is in the menu.

    - Marc

  36. #36
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Minomaniac (pg. 137 #11) at Sony A7(r) Images Thread - FM Forums posted some images, and a link to the original raws (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jzbf4e9ogj1o3vf/V7XrWcz7lT) shot with the a7r and 24-70/4

    Graham
    Those images look pretty good. Typical Zeiss look and feel. That's a relief.

    I'm not a huge zoom fan, but the 24-70 is a workhorse for weddings and events. F/4 max is quite workable with IS and the higher ISO abilities of the A7R.

    Thanks for the link!

    - Marc

  37. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    27

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    [QUOTE=fotografz;567319]IS on/off is in the menu.

    Bit of a bummer to have to go to the menu. Thanks, Marc.

  38. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I have seen a review and sample images from the man whose name shall not be uttered. Bottom line is that the Zeiss FE 24-70 zoom is weak in the corners at 24mm even when stopped down to f/11 or f/16. At 35mm, the corners clean up when you stop down. At 70mm, the lens looks terrific. No Otus like magic here. I don't know much about lens design, but perhaps no zoom in this range is great in the corners at 24mm. So, what would a no holds barred zoom in this range from Zeiss look like? Another question to consider is how the Sony Zeiss 24-70 zoom compares to similar zooms from Nikon and Canon.

  39. #39
    Senior Member mjm6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    526
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Those images look pretty good. Typical Zeiss look and feel. That's a relief.

    I'm not a huge zoom fan, but the 24-70 is a workhorse for weddings and events. F/4 max is quite workable with IS and the higher ISO abilities of the A7R.

    Thanks for the link!

    - Marc
    Mark, I'm not sure if you monitor FM or not, but Philip Reeve there has been posing some interesting results, and in my opinion, it doesn't look good at all for the 24-70.

    At 24, it appears that the lens never sharpens, regardless of the aperture, and at 70, it looks miserable. Since that is typically the good end of the performance on a zoom lens, it is very depressing.

    Meant to include a link to the discussion on FM:

    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1271854/0

    At 35-55 or so, it appears quite good, but really, what good is that?

    I'm hoping he has a dud copy, but not holding my breath.

    Looking at a CZ or Leica 35-70 as alternates which should perform much better, minus the AF and the OSS.

    ---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

  40. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    There is a lot of funny talking about the 24-70. Most of it done by dubious amateur bloggers, with doubtful results. Let's look what the Diglloyd says. At least a source which is trustable. I guess we can agree in that. You'll bet he will find some flaws with the lens too, but for now he writes:

    Quote:
    "Conclusions
    Result here are very pretty, very pleasing. The 24-70/4 Vario-Tessar offers high sharpness and excellent contrast, both overall and micro contrast, and right to the corners. It performs at a high level that is not disappointing relative to the best Canon 24-70mm L zooms."

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by jfzander View Post
    There is a lot of funny talking about the 24-70. Most of it done by dubious amateur bloggers, with doubtful results. Let's look what the Diglloyd says. At least a source which is trustable. I guess we can agree in that. You'll bet he will find some flaws with the lens too, but for now he writes:

    Quote:
    "Conclusions
    Result here are very pretty, very pleasing. The 24-70/4 Vario-Tessar offers high sharpness and excellent contrast, both overall and micro contrast, and right to the corners. It performs at a high level that is not disappointing relative to the best Canon 24-70mm L zooms."
    Did Lloyd test it on the A7 or A7R?

  42. #42
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    I think I'm more interested in what Tim Ashley has to say - at least it'll be honest, and he certainly has no agenda.

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by jfzander View Post
    There is a lot of funny talking about the 24-70. Most of it done by dubious amateur bloggers, with doubtful results. Let's look what the Diglloyd says. At least a source which is trustable. I guess we can agree in that. You'll bet he will find some flaws with the lens too, but for now he writes:

    Quote:
    "Conclusions
    Result here are very pretty, very pleasing. The 24-70/4 Vario-Tessar offers high sharpness and excellent contrast, both overall and micro contrast, and right to the corners. It performs at a high level that is not disappointing relative to the best Canon 24-70mm L zooms."
    Frankly, if it is in the "best from Canon" territory, that'll work for me … it'll be used the same way I use the ZA24-70 on the bigger cameras. I'll use the ZA24/2 for other stuff.

    BTW, my ZA24/2 took me two copies to get a good one … no notable CA, (unlike the ZA85/1.4), and decent in the corners with distortion/vignetting well handled when LR lens profile corrections are applied.

    - Marc

  44. #44
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by jfzander View Post
    There is a lot of funny talking about the 24-70. Most of it done by dubious amateur bloggers, with doubtful results. Let's look what the Diglloyd says. At least a source which is trustable. I guess we can agree in that. You'll bet he will find some flaws with the lens too, but for now he writes:

    As for 'dubious amateur bloggers' it seems to me that soft corners are soft corners, I guess you could fake them, but that really doesn't seem very likely.

    Seems to me that if some people are reporting soft corners at 24mm to f11, then that's pretty easy to see - if Digilloyd's sample is so great, that points to sample variation to me.

    Just this guy you know

  45. #45
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I think I'm more interested in what Tim Ashley has to say - at least it'll be honest, and he certainly has no agenda.
    Thanks Jono - my early copy option failed me but I should have one tomorrow I hope. And I will indeed by honest, though I think Lloyd is. However, I think one needs to start a test like this with planar subjects at close-ish and far-ish distances and then drill down from there to see what, if any, of the weak corners/edges are due to field curvature and or focus shift. That's the only way I personally learn how to get the best from a lens for any particular subject - though I do totally 'get' that others might want to see things differently!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    As for 'dubious amateur bloggers' it seems to me that soft corners are soft corners, I guess you could fake them, but that really doesn't seem very likely.

    Seems to me that if some people are reporting soft corners at 24mm to f11, then that's pretty easy to see - if Digilloyd's sample is so great, that points to sample variation to me.
    It seems Lloyd Chambers was specifically referring to performance at one focal length, mid zoom. He was not referring to performance across the board, particularly at the extremes of the zoom range.

  47. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    London
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Well as most zooms seem to get used at either end of the range it sounds like this lens is not really going to hit the mark. After all we have the superb 55 and good 35 for the middle slots. On top of that it is only F4!! anyway I hope they release a 28 or 24mm lens in the near future as zooms aren't my cup of tea anyway

  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    1,033
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Thanks Jono - my early copy option failed me but I should have one tomorrow I hope. And I will indeed by honest, though I think Lloyd is. However, I think one needs to start a test like this with planar subjects at close-ish and far-ish distances and then drill down from there to see what, if any, of the weak corners/edges are due to field curvature and or focus shift. That's the only way I personally learn how to get the best from a lens for any particular subject - though I do totally 'get' that others might want to see things differently!
    Yes, Tim...... Planar images will show the weak points quickly in any lens. For the life of me I don't know why Lloyd has abandoned anything planar and instead going for 3D stuff that doesn't/can't show curvature or an out of whack side or corner. I'm loosing confidence in Mr. Chambers..... and in the 24-70.

    Victor
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #49
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Hi Victor,

    I agree - those 3D scenes are 'real world' for sure, but they don't tell me much. Lloyd is IMHO generally the best and most thorough reviewer, but the scenes he chooses don't always work for me. My main work is landscape and some travel, a bit of architecture and less portraiture and for that I want sharp edges on distant scenes and, on the facades of buildings, sharp edges and corners. Field curvature can, as we all know, work for or against the 'shape' of a scene but it really is important to start with planar and work from there in order to work out what a lens is up to...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    947
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

    Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    It seems Lloyd Chambers was specifically referring to performance at one focal length, mid zoom. He was not referring to performance across the board, particularly at the extremes of the zoom range.
    Not so. He thought it was excellent at 70mm. 24mm in the corners is where it was weak. I don't know the first thing about MTF charts, but my understanding is that the mediocre corner performance at 24mm is to be expected from the charts for the FE 24-70. If 28mm is a big improvement over 24mm, I could live happily with that. 28-70mm is a very useful range.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •