The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 24-70 F4 Lens

ecsh

Found a pic on CNN this morning of the Sony 24-70 lens mounted and extended on the A7r camera. With the hood, this thing is long i would imagine.

yatlee

I tried the lens at a shop here in HK. Very well balance on the A7 and similar size comparing to the 28-70mm kit lens. It stick out when shooting at the tele ends, but doesn't really bother me. I ordered one already.

Mark K

Where in Hong Kong? I went out a few hours ago and have no clue when and where this lens will be available?

philip_pj

The FE 24-70mm is 10mm (0.39") longer than the 28-70mm FE lens.
The a7r is 465 grams and the 24-70/4 is 426 grams. Most extending zooms are not front heavy when extended, and the left hand cradles the larger diameter gnurled ring.

The extra beefy chassis of the a7r over the a7 is one reason to trust it with at least medium weight lenses. It is very comfortable indeed with an LA-EA3 adapter and lenses around 500 grams, because the right hand works the controls while holding the very good grip, the left hand focuses and/or balances the whole package. Users are very happy with all manner of lenses, many much larger than the 24-70/4.

By comparison a D800e and 24-70/2.8 Nikkor weighs in at 1,894 grams; the a7r and 24-70/4 weighs 891 grams.

rich_

Try the Sony Style shop a couple of shops down from Sogo, 16th floor, CWB They carry a lot of the A7 stuff.

bipbip

What's the point of a small camera with a humungous lens like that? IMO it's what's called a self-defeating behavior.
Quite so. Ever since Sony came up with the NEX idea I've been waiting for a set of decent pancakes for them which would certainly add meaning to the small package. I've got a NEX 6 and bought the Sigma 19 before they came up with the 20mm pancake a bit too late (the 16mm's not what I'd call decent quality) and am still waiting for a 70mm (105 mm equivalent). This would replace the Pentax K5 with 21mm and 70mm pancakes I had as the optimal street kit a couple of years ago.
Come on Sony; it's what these cameras are crying out for, especially now the A7's desperately need compact lenses that fill the 35mm frame ...

losta

It's supposed to ship in the US on Feb 2nd. I ordered mine from B&H the day the camera was announced and I got my camera in November (from B&H) before Sony started shipping them.

Knorp

Mmm, availability in Holland seems to be postponed from the end of January to the end of February.

:banghead: :thumbdown: :sleep006:

mjm6

Has anyone seen any reviews on this lens yet? I'm very interested in it as a knock-around lens when I am not using a fixed focal length, but I really don't want to commit until I see some images and a few test results.

---Michael

tashley

Subscriber Member
I will hopefully get an early copy and will review it in-depth, including an opinion as to how it fares against the much cheaper 28-70 kit lens, asap.

Don Libby

Last I checked (which is just about every day) B&H they show end of Feb. we're on the pre order list so all we can do is wait.

Slingers

Here is a link I have uplifted from the SAR comments showing some samples with the SEL2470z and A7R

Sony A7R + SEL2470Z

I don't see thumbnails but the images show when I click on the green links.

Last edited:

Knorp

THey had a bunch on ebay from Japan. 2 -3 day shipping
Well, I don't think so, they seem all pre-order ads.

Release**2014.1.24**

This item is PRESALE and we will ship this item after January 24, 2014.
※Please note that the release date may get later than expected and then our shipping may delay.

I got my A7r today and part of my deal was this 24-70 lens. I got everything else except this zoom, which was promised to be delivered in march.

So at least the main pro dealers in Finland have no availability prior to that.

//Juha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Bob Parsons

I'm in the UK and have the lens on pre-order. The latest email update (2 days ago) says anticipate being able to supply within 10-14 days.

Bob.