Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A7/r lens recommendations 90-135mm

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7/r lens recommendations 90-135mm

Guy, interesting recommendations. I wish I still had the back strength to use the combinations you suggest. I've been lucky to get good results with the Leica C-90 in a lens size which I can actually carry in the front pocket of my camera bag! I would very much like to own a 90-APO again but realistically both in money and size terms it ain't going to happen.

Obviously, this is cropped but hey, why give us a humoungus sensor if it ain't for cropping?

-----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tough to know what to do for longer than 100mm. Sony will eventually release a 70-200/4 with IS but it is not small and not fast, and not out yet! The Zeiss 135/2 sounds great, and is F2, but is not that much longer than 90 (which I have covered with the Leica 90/2) and is quite heavy. The Leica 135 is smaller, but pricey and is slower at F 3.4.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, a little in-the-field use experience now. I carried the A7 with both Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4 and Summicron-R 90mm f/2 the other day. I mostly shot with the 90mm. I have one word to report on their performance:

Outstanding!

No evidence of corner smearing or darkening with either, very little to no lateral CA, a tiny bit of fringing in extreme contrast situations (easily cleaned up in Lightroom 5.3). Clean, crisp detailing, snappy focusing, and beautiful smooth bokeh with both. They image as well with the A7 sensor as they do on film with the Leicaflex SL to my eyes ... which is very very well indeed. They are both rather large and heavy lenses (and remarkably similar in size and weight too!) but do not feel unbalanced or difficult to handle on the small A7 body.

I noticed a very small amount of moiré when shooting a high-contrast, fine-grained pebbly-shiny asphalt surface. Truth be told, I've seen the same with the M9, the E-M1, and the E-5. LR's moire correction brush cleans it up nicely.

Next week: I'll likely go out on the same walk with the Elmarit-R 135 and Elmarit-R 24mm. Carrying the Elmarit-R 180mm is more of an expedition ... ;-)

enjoy
    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Getting both is the way to go.. both 135mm lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Wanted to report on the Zeiss 135 F2 Nikon mount. I know this lens is big and heavy . Certainly not as travel friendly as I would like myself. But I need this lens at least for a lot of client work and need the F2 speed. Now when in Yosemite I rigged up Jacks Sigma 1.4 converter to it and have to say I was floored that even at F4 there was simply no loss of quality at ALL. It became a 180 f 2.8 laser beam. I have a Kenko that I did not even try yet but I'm ordering the Sigma 1.4 almost immediately. You need the length I could not recommend this enough. Yea big, heavy and a solid brick but the focus throw on it I found much better on it over the Leica 135 3.4 which I would not use on people with that lens the focus throw is very short and hard to nail a human face over the Zeiss which is far easier. Obviously this depends on what your shooting but landscape only type work the Leica is very good but people and tough focusing requirements the Zeiss is better at it.just thought I would pass that on. If I had the money I might even consider the Leica just for travel.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a leica 135mm M Apo f3.4 today. There is darkening in the extreme 4 corners that does not get better or worse with aperture. I am wondering if others have seen with this lens.

Post Thanks / Like

well, a little short for this range.. but according to sony leaked roadmap, we should see a Zeiss 85/1.4 OSS very soon in the native FE-mount. I think I'll be holding out for that, with my short tele needs.

Longer 135 will be out next year, so that's a bit far off. I was thinking the upcoming 70-200 at first, but I think it's going to be too big for me. Need to figure out something else there..

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    I tried a leica 135mm M Apo f3.4 today. There is darkening in the extreme 4 corners that does not get better or worse with aperture. I am wondering if others have seen with this lens.
    Haven't seen any darkening, smearing or color casts in the corners with mine at any aperture. Here's an example. Just a test shot, hand-held, done a couple of days ago. EXIF shown in border:

I love this lens on the A7R, and can focus it precisely with the EVF and focus magnification.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Try changing the adapter. I've read on this list that some adapters used on the Nex5-6-7 may not be compatible with the A7s and could create problems of this kind : their smallest opening diameter is large enough for APSC sensor, but not for a FF. The fact that changing aperture does nothing to improve the corners seems to point in that direction too.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about the adapter but the one i am using works perfectly on the other M lenses I have used. I have a second adapter coming today for another purpose so I will compare. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Try changing the adapter. I've read on this list that some adapters used on the Nex5-6-7 may not be compatible with the A7s and could create problems of this kind : their smallest opening diameter is large enough for APSC sensor, but not for a FF. The fact that changing aperture does nothing to improve the corners seems to point in that direction too.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mark I was thinking the same thing. I tried Woodys 135 but that was with a metabones adapter that he had and it seemed to work fine in the corners. Let us know if the new one works okay
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well USPS screwed up so did not make it to me today. Hopefully tomorrow. I really dislike USPS.. Actually the other two UPS and Fedex has been making some big mistakes of late.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Mark I was thinking the same thing. I tried Woodys 135 but that was with a metabones adapter that he had and it seemed to work fine in the corners. Let us know if the new one works okay

Post Thanks / Like

Someone recommended the Leica R 180/3.4 apo. Any thoughts on this lens? Price is more attractive than the 180/2.8 apo and might make a good addition to the long end for landscapes as my longest lens is 90mm right now. I would prefer the 2.8 for occasional concert photography, but I do that so rarely as not to make the extra money sensible. Any issues using this on the A7r? Is the lens mount sturdy enough for this lens without a tripod mount on the adapter? Any recommendations for the R to E mount adapter? Think this would make an optically better choice than the forthcoming 70-200/4 native mount lens? Thx for any info or suggestions. I am really struggling with long lens options for the A7r, for some reason. Just for completeness, my lens lineup is WATE (16-21), FE 35/2.8, CV 35 1.2, Lux 50 asph 1.4, FE 55 1.8, Summicron 90/2 apo.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading this thread, I bring my Leica R 180/3.4 apo out and give it a try, Totally love it, will bring it for next trip.
    Test pic was taken with A7r at f3.4, focus point is right at the light, converted straight from RAW

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a second Voigtlander adapter and get the same results. Look at the 4 corners. Obviously cannot see the darkening if shooting a dark background. Guy do you still have any of your 135mm photos?

Post Thanks / Like

I tried a second Voigtlander adapter and get the same results. Look at the 4 corners. Obviously cannot see the darkening if shooting a dark background. Guy do you still have any of your 135mm photos?
    Mine is Metabone and this is the same test I post earlier, shoot wide open at f3.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No problem here with a Novoflex adapter. My test shot is in an earlier post. It's got to be your adapter(s). The lens is stellar.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody has all the test shots with the Leica 135mm. Lets see if he see's this. That adapter looks to be cutting the corners. Im a bit surprised as i thought the Voigtlander was supposed to be good.

Maybe get the Novaflex. I like there adapters myself
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

It appears to be the adapter. Found a metabones adapter locally. So now i have 3.. 2 voigtlanders and they both give the same result on the 135. However they work well with the 90/2.8 and Wate…

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It shouldn't. My copy of Leica 135/3.4 APO works wonderfully on the A7r and I just have a cheap adapter
    Last edited by Ocean; 29th January 2014 at 18:40.

Post Thanks / Like

I am in indecision paralysis. What focal length would be the next step up from 90mm? I have 35,50, 90 and was thinking for landscape it might make more sense to go from 90 to 180, but one fellow said he thought 135 was a more useful length and now I am confused. I had decided on a 180 R 3.4 but now am unsure. Obviously, the zeiss 135/2 is great (tho heavy) as is the Leica 135/3.4 (lighter and slower), but then that is still not very long and there are only so many lenses I will carry! Maybe primes are a bad idea? What do you guys carry for landscape applications? I know for concert photography or the like what to carry (fast and longish) but for hiking in the mountains? Right now, I have 16-21, 35, 55, and 90. Thoughts? Camera is Sony A7r. Thx much!

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I carry a set of four Leica R lenses, 19/2,8 VII, 35-70/4 zoom, 100/2,8 APO, and 180/3,4 APO.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it should not.. but they do. I have a cheap adapter for a leica screwmount lens and it works perfectly. To be honest I do not like the way the metabones is a bit hard to lock the lens. The voigt is much smoother. My nikon metabones is not like that. But the metabones does seem to work well. I am going to see about returning one of my voigts. I have the regular and the close up version. The later is great. It makes my WATE a wide angle macro.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
    It shouldn't. My copy of Leica 135/3.4 APO works wonderfully on the A7r and I just have a cheap adapter

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Luvwine View Post
    I am in indecision paralysis. What focal length would be the next step up from 90mm? I have 35,50, 90 and was thinking for landscape it might make more sense to go from 90 to 180, but one fellow said he thought 135 was a more useful length and now I am confused. I had decided on a 180 R 3.4 but now am unsure. Obviously, the zeiss 135/2 is great (tho heavy) as is the Leica 135/3.4 (lighter and slower), but then that is still not very long and there are only so many lenses I will carry! Maybe primes are a bad idea? What do you guys carry for landscape applications? I know for concert photography or the like what to carry (fast and longish) but for hiking in the mountains? Right now, I have 16-21, 35, 55, and 90. Thoughts? Camera is Sony A7r. Thx much!
    How about Leica 80-200/4?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

What about Leica Elmarit-R 135/2.8 ? Has anybody tried that one? I could get one locally, cheap as chips...

Same also for 90 & 180 elmarit-r, what about those?

//Juha

Post Thanks / Like

Well as Guy said-- the Zeiss 135/2 plus the 1.4x extender was stellar. Even though that is a bit larger and heavier--- with an extender you would get two lenses… 135 and 190mm.
    I took my A7r leica 16-18-21, Sony 35mm/2.8, Sony 55mm 1.8, Voigt 75/2.5, Leica 90/2.8 M all in a very small bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea the Zeiss 135 and a 1.4 really is amazing. I have my Kenko for sale. Have not tested on the Sony yet but on the d800e it was pretty good at 5.6 on the Sony with the Sigma 1.4 at F4 it was amazingly good. I'm going to buy the Sigma. The Kenko is for sale cheap though if someone wants it. I'll try today on the Sony

Post Thanks / Like

Good thoughts here. Thanks much all! Seems like no one way to go. The 135/2 is only a little heavier than the 180/3.4 and from what I am gathering, with a1.4x from sigma, it probably is as good or better than the 180, even at infinity with the extender. Hmmmm. Weight wise, the 80-200/4 would be similar, but not quite as good optically. I have never owned a Nikon lens(!), but maybe this will be the first. Or, could wait and see what Zeiss announces for the Sony (or how good the Sony 70-200/4 will be), but that may be a while. Guess I will keep my eyes open for a good deal on a good deal on a Zeiss 135/2. Thx again for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just ordered the Sigma 1.4 this morning from B&H used for 169.00 there is another one for 179. I will run a test next week with the z135. It's as heavy as a Nikon 24-70 for reference or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zeiss 135 f2 Nikon mount and from experience use the Novaflex . Adapter

Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 3.31 x 4.13" (84 x 105 mm)
    Weight 2.02 lb (920 g)

Post Thanks / Like

Thx Guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Still thinking about this. Anyone use the C/Y 100-300 vario sonnar? Read pretty good things, but assume it is heavy and don't know if competitive with other options. The Leica M 135/3.4 seems good quality and half the weight of the Zeiss 135/2, tho not quite as good, slower, and does not take extenders (and not cheap). That plus the R 180/3.4 would be good but together, they weigh more than the Zeiss 135/2 by half a pound or so. I suppose the R 180 takes the 2x extender giving reach to 360, but slow and I have no clue about the optical quality. The Zeiss may be the best bet, but it seems like a beast with an adapter and extender on a poor little A7r....just not sure if I would then leave it home unless I had a specific mission in mind....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well it's a tough call. It comes down to the hassle syndrome if you know what I mean. I had the same thing with a big Nikon 200 f2 . Amazing lens but a pain to lug around. The 135 I don't really have a issue with it at all. It goes on every shoot regardless. I use a Street walker pro backpack for the field and really don't feel it on my back. The Sony and some other lens changes have lightened my load. Try renting it first.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx Guy. Renting is a sensible suggestion I have never done. . Not sure if one can rent the adapter tho. This GAS has hit me hard! Looking at lenses I don't need....

As for carrying stuff, I gave moved away from backpacks and like the Thinktank waist belt system when hiking. I find it more comfortable for me to have the weight on the hips and now the weight us much less than with my 5D 2 or 1DS3 system. I also use Ona brand bags for shooting around town without a tripod. When I take short hikes I use a Thinktank case just for the tripod and that goes on my back. Water bottle/bear spray on the waist belt, but may have to reevaluate depending on how the lens collection grows....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

lensrentals does adapters too

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say the penny has finally dropped about the A7/r and adapted lenses. Especially with the LEA4 adapter.

For example, I was musing that I would really like a decent 100mm-ish macro for my A7. Nothing is on the roadmap. Ping! Of course, I could get the LEA4 and then either a Minolta macro, or the highly thought of Sigma or Tamron 100mm macros in Sony Alpha mount.

Likewise, I wouldn't mind a fastish 180-200mm lens. Ping! Again, lots of choice with third party lenses with Sony Alpha mounts.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

I am excited; tomorrow a 90 sumicron shows up from LensRentals for me to test. I have the Canon 90 f/2.8 TS and the 70-200 f/4 IS. But I want something small in that range. Went to my dealer today and fondled the Leica; holy crap is that nice and small! Seems perfect for the A7r. I also borrowed a Zeiss 100 f/2 so I can compare them all. I played with it this afternoon and really like how close it focuses and the long throw, but boy it is big. Especially compared to the 'cron.

I will post an update over the weekend, but I'm predicting this won't be good for my bank. the Canon TS focuses down to 0.5m (1:3), and it is reasonably sharp, so the Zeiss will have to be a lot better to win me over. I predict the Zeiss will go back and the Leica will win me over.

Let me know if there is something specific I should look out for.

Dave
    Last edited by dchew; 5th February 2014 at 01:35.
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Sigma 1.4 converter came today for my Zeiss 135 and I was out to run some tests but clouds came in so I bailed on a full bore test but did knock a few out and better than I thought . Having a 190 2.8 is going to be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be curious to see how you like the 90/2Leica. I had the Zeiss 100/2 MP, but sold it and have the Leica. I did not do head to head comparisons as I decided to part with the 100 due to weight and never regretted getting the Leica. Drawing style is different and a matter of taste and subject.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    I have to say the penny has finally dropped about the A7/r and adapted lenses. Especially with the LEA4 adapter.

For example, I was musing that I would really like a decent 100mm-ish macro for my A7. Nothing is on the roadmap. Ping! Of course, I could get the LEA4 and then either a Minolta macro, or the highly thought of Sigma or Tamron 100mm macros in Sony Alpha mount.

Likewise, I wouldn't mind a fastish 180-200mm lens. Ping! Again, lots of choice with third party lenses with Sony Alpha mounts.
    My 100-ish macro is the superb Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AI-S. An outstanding lens. Bought it last year, worth every penny I paid for it. And my fast 180-200-ish is the Elmarit-R 180/2.8. A massive lump, but I love the way it renders.

I am so delighted with this impulse purchase of the A7. The camera itself ... a bit clunky. But the sensor is outstanding and works so well with these lenses! :-)

BTW, the Summicron-R 90mm f/2 is simply an outstanding lens and shines on the A7. It's not particularly large, but it is a heavy thing.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    I am excited; tomorrow a 90 sumicron shows up from LensRentals for me to test. I have the Canon 90 f/2.8 TS and the 70-200 f/4 IS. But I want something small in that range. Went to my dealer today and fondled the Leica; holy crap is that nice and small! Seems perfect for the A7r. I also borrowed a Zeiss 100 f/2 so I can compare them all. I played with it this afternoon and really like how close it focuses and the long throw, but boy it is big. Especially compared to the 'cron.

I will post an update over the weekend, but I'm predicting this won't be good for my bank. the Canon TS focuses down to 0.5m (1:3), and it is reasonably sharp, so the Zeiss will have to be a lot better to win me over. I predict the Zeiss will go back and the Leica will win me over.

Let me know if there is something specific I should look out for.

Dave
    Look out for the Slippery Slope Dave
    TheCameraForum.Com
    ChuckJonesPhotography.Com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    Look out for the Slippery Slope Dave
    What do you mean? I'm down at the bottom next to Guy and David Duffin yelling at everyone else to slide on down!

Dave

PS: Yeah my first Leica lens. Uh oh...

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your in serious trouble my friend. Send me your credit card i will handle all those lens purchases for you. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think my card is safer with my wife!

Seriously, Here's my plan at this point:
    24mm - I have the Zeiss 25 f/2, but it is kinda big. The only other thing I might do is find a used Oly or Nikon f/2.8.

35mm - Sony FE 2.8

50mm - Sony FE 1.8

90mm - Leica f/2 and keep my Canon f/2.8 ts w/ 25mm extender for closer shots since the Leica only focuses down to 1m

Above 90mm - Keep using my Canon 70-200 f/4IS.

[Guy please keep quiet about that 135 f/2]

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually think my card is safer with my wife!

Seriously, Here's my plan at this point:
    24mm - I have the Zeiss 25 f/2, but it is kinda big. The only other thing I might do is find a used Oly or Nikon f/2.8.

35mm - Sony FE 2.8

50mm - Sony FE 1.8

90mm - Leica f/2 and keep my Canon f/2.8 ts w/ 25mm extender for closer shots since the Leica only focuses down to 1m

Above 90mm - Keep using my Canon 70-200 f/4IS.

[Guy please keep quiet about that 135 f/2]

Dave
    No doubt your card is safer with your wife. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you ever go to sell the 25mm F2 let me know first

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean? I'm down at the bottom next to Guy and David Duffin yelling at everyone else to slide on down!

Dave

PS: Yeah my first Leica lens. Uh oh...
    Based upon how good the two native FE primes have turned out, you may want to hold off before pulling the trigger on a Leica 90mm lens. If you already have Leica lenses, fine, but the native FE lenses appear to perform better on the A7R, at a fraction of the price. No one saw that coming! I think the expectation is that Sony/Zeiss will release an 85mm prime this year.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are my thoughts get the 24-70 first and see how it is at 70mm with AF since I need a focal length around here for models and if that works out than I may sell my ZA 85 1.4 and get a Leica 90mm F2 cron or a 90mm 2.8 elmarit more for size and weight for landscape work. Having the 55mm AF helps me here too. Now if they come out with a 85 1.4 native down the road than maybe get that and sell the 90mm. Bottom line folks we are buying time here and we may have to buy something to cover ourselves than as native stuff comes along and is killer good ( we hope) than transform into native or not. Depends on needs here. I know one thing the Z 135mm Apo I have will not get replaced so I can maybe trim size and weight in the 85 area

Post Thanks / Like

First impressions on my Zeiss 100 f/2 vs. Leica 'cron f/2:

I don't think I'm going to get over this first part
    Size. A two lens kit, Sony 35 f/2.8 plus the Leica 90 would breathe new life into my old Galen Rowell Photoflex chest pouch. With the right lens wrap it would all fit in there with no extra compartment or lens case. As hcubell pointed out, waiting for the Sony 85 makes a lot of sense; it will certainly be lighter, and probably smaller yet.

The Zeiss is just so much bigger. I realize comparing a 90 to a 100. Not really fair, but the Zeiss 85 at f/1.4 ends up being about the same mass. I don't know much about rangefinder lenses, so maybe there is a C/Y or some other lens I should investigate, but I'm guessing those are tough to get a hold of to test. Gotta buy one to see one...?

Anyway, images below with lens hoods and adapters mounted. Leica 1, Zeiss 0:

Last edited by dchew; 5th February 2014 at 17:44.

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol. Everyone hold on to your Leica glass. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First impressions on my Zeiss 100 f/2 vs. Leica 'cron f/2:

I don't think I'm going to get over this first part
    Size. A two lens kit, Sony 35 f/2.8 plus the Leica 90 would breathe new life into my old Galen Rowell Photoflex chest pouch. With the right lens wrap it would all fit in there with no extra compartment or lens case. As hcubell pointed out, waiting for the Sony 85 makes a lot of sense; it will certainly be lighter, and probably smaller yet.

The Zeiss is just so much bigger. I realize comparing a 90 to a 100. Not really fair, but the Zeiss 85 is f/1.4 so ends up being about the same mass. I don't know much about rangefinder lenses, so maybe there is a C/Y or some other lens I should investigate, but I'm guessing those are tough to get a hold of to test. Gotta buy one to see one...?

Anyway, images below with lens hoods and adapters mounted. Leica 1, Zeiss 0
    +1

The Leica 90mm Summicron-M and 135mm Apo-Telyt-M work great with the A7/A7R and are ideally sized. I've owned the Zeiss 100mm (when I had a Nikon kit) and IMHO it's too large for a compact mirrorless camera. Sharp as a tack, but large.

Joe