The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AF Micro Adjust

vjbelle

I tried, in vain, to adjust the AF for my Sony 55mm lens and only after re-reading the manual was surprised to find out that this feature seems to be only for A-mount lenses when using an adapter. Am I missing anything? If this is the case I'll probably return my lens as its auto focus is biased forward. Seems like a real feature omission to me.

Victor

vjbelle

This is for my A7r. AF Adjust is not available showing a '-' and when an attempt is made an error screen occurs and says that function is not available. The manual says this is for A-mount lenses used with the Sony adapter. Very disappointing......

Victor

vjbelle

Don't know why that would matter. It does, apparently, work with A-mount lenses and the Sony adapter. The manual does discuss this feature.

Victor

k-hawinkler

Isn't there PDAF involved?

As I understand it CDAF works straight of the sensor, so there is nothing to adjust.

vjbelle

You are correct..... the adapter uses PDAF. So then as I understand it if I'm front focusing with my 55mm its not something I can adjust. Very disappointing.

Thanks for the clarification....

Victor

k-hawinkler

You are correct..... the adapter uses PDAF. So then as I understand it if I'm front focusing with my 55mm its not something I can adjust. Very disappointing.

Thanks for the clarification....

Victor

Indeed, front focussing would be very disappointing.
I would consider it a fatal flaw in the camera/lens combination and ask for a replacement.
Also, have you tried to give it more time to focus correctly?
Tim Ashley found that helped when using the A7 kit lens on the A7R.

I only have the A7R and FE 35/2.8. My combination is tac sharp.

vjbelle

Replacement lenses are a crap shoot..... Sony spits these out in large quantities and the odds of getting an acceptable copy could be fleeting. I also have the FE 35 and like it enough to keep it but this may be the end of the line for Sony lenses.... I can put the thousand bucks into something else. My Leica 50mm Summicron M is a great performer and I really don't need a lens with auto focus.... The other issue is that manual focus with the Sony lenses is very different from Leica's or Zeiss. Not as quick or easy.

Victor

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I agree, Victor. I even find it easier to focus my M lenses on the a7r than on my M9.
Which is just as well because the main reason for buying the camera was to use my M glass!

I don't have any FE lenses and don't expect to buy any. I have the EA4 adapter so I can use the a7r as a back up to my a99/A mount lenses if necessary.