Site Sponsors

Thread: Scouting Yosemite with the A7r

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Scouting Yosemite with the A7r

Running around scouting for our upcoming workshop and these are all handheld and weird thing is all with the Leica 19mm R lens. I was going to sell this but decided I was really having a bad brain fart on that line of thinking.

This was ISO 320 shot at 1/20 of a second

Shot these in the town of Hornitos. I decide I may just move in. LOL

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Scouting Yosemite with the A7r

I wanted to add here I have done a lot of testing and playing around with this cam with all my glass, processing in C1 and I am coming to the conclusion and honestly I was on the fence until I could really shoot it and have to say I am very satisfied. I shot the A7 last week about 13,500 images on the A7 and it really worked good, sure It had a few quirks but I got the job done and the images look very good out of the camera.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This Leica Elmarit-R 19mm is one of my favorite super wide angle lens; a lens I am looking to reuse with the A7R.
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I wanted to add here I have done a lot of testing and playing around with this cam with all my glass, processing in C1 and I am coming to the conclusion and honestly I was on the fence until I could really shoot it and have to say I am very satisfied. I shot the A7 last week about 13,500 images on the A7 and it really worked good, sure It had a few quirks but I got the job done and the images look very good out of the camera.

Wow. That's quite the shakedown cruise!

www.fredmuellerphotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Look good.. please tell about the A7 - what quirks ? and what work dit you make with it ? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From the big fire here in Yosemite all with the Leica 19mm

Shot with the Zeiss 85 1.4 ZA lens. These are all shot with a ND filter and long exposures like 6 to 15 seconds.

Hard time deciding between the two.

Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 17th January 2014 at 17:29.

Likes 16 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hard time deciding between the two.
    I like the extra green in the water on the second.

These threads are pushing me to the edge of an A7 - love the colors, especially the night shots. I'd also be interested in hearing the quirks part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A7 I shot last week where mostly all shot at ISAO 1250 with a Sony A 70-200mm lens and Sony adapter plus with the additional crop factor that I setup in camera. I shot continuous focus with review off for speed reasons between frames and it worked very well. Obviously If I was using a native lens the AF would be faster but it kept up pretty well with a few misses here and there. Someone walking in front of me would cause havoc but it would return pretty quickly. Right now its the only option like that until the native 70-200 comes out so yes it is a little slower to focus and more of a challenge right now but I did well. More importantly I shot all jpegs since i shot so much that its the only choice. I did bump the sharpness up to +1 and NR to low and images look great. Im under tungsten stage lighting and my WB is set for that and to me its maybe the best in color out of the box I have seen. The A7 and A7r are great systems but the menu setup is too big and noty organized very well either. Sony needs to sit down with a real shooter and organize it the way we shoot not how a engineer thinks. outside the AF there really no major quirks if your willing to work things out for some hobbyists this maybe to daunting to understand every bell and whistle and still be able to shoot fast.

Here are just a few quickies from the A7

Let me also add I am throughly enjoying shooting the A7r over my D800e by a long shot doing landscape making use of the focus peaking, zoom feature and being on manual to pick the shutter speed for exposure control. I also been using the articulating LCD as well for low and high shots. Battery life is weak but it really does not bother me. I carry seven batteries which is maybe 3 to many but there small and light and really does not bother me. My lenses are killer on it and have to say maybe better files than I had with the D800e, I like to say I am getting more detail but unless you did some serious testing I won't make that call and don't care to even bother with that test. Its kind of meaningless but its certainly equal to it if not better.

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I like the extra green in the water on the second.

These threads are pushing me to the edge of an A7 - love the colors, especially the night shots. I'd also be interested in hearing the quirks part.

A little extra bump in color editor in C1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love to give advise on which one to buy but really they both are very good and for me having both made perfect sense. The A7r is a all manual kit designed for the best quality I can nail. The A7 is for speed and AF work. Its a perfect setup for me. For the one camera owner if you need the 36mpx sensor and or you like to crop in than its a great kit. I never crop but I need the Mpx for large prints and clients that beat the crap out of your files. But thats my needs and not everyone else's. So I totally understand the indecision or decision on which one to buy bottom line they bot sing very well and one should be happy with either choice. The A7 has faster sync speed and is quieter so maybe if your doing street a better choice or doing outdoor with strobes.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your time.. I have sold my D800 and got the A7R - due to the EVF, small body, flip screen and focus peaking. Not losing anything in IQ. The slower handling is not a issue for my tripod shooting anyway. But had some concern about more speedy shooting and the A7 - but sounds like A7 is doing the work there. And The ideer about 2 body - using same lenses (when they come), sounds better then getting a D7100 and run 2 systems.

Thanks for your Input Guy - it's much appreciated ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your welcome and your right I was about to buy the D7100 for the runway stuff and decided instead of that I would be mostly better off and the way I want to have two distinct system within the same line though and still use the same lenses. I don't shoot AF doing tripod work so in the end the Sony move made a lot of sense to me and I am starting to feel really good about it and even better I am enjoying it and for someone thats been doing this a long time excitement about a system is a great thing. I'll keep updating as we go. We have several folks that want to try this system out on the workshop with some of there glass so that should be fun and interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

looking forward to read more stuff on the subject, and what the workshop will reveal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used Jacks Nikon 50mm F1.2 AIS today and really like this lens and plan on getting one at the cost of 600 or less its a no brainer.

I shot all these at 1.2 wide open

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, my wife bought me one for Christmas last year and I love using it at f1.2 to f2. It throws a beautiful bokeh.
    It is not always about sharpness.
    This lens is a classic.
    Beautiful images.
    Have fun,
    Mike
    I used Jacks Nikon 50mm F1.2 AIS today and really like this lens and plan on getting one at the cost of 600 or less its a no brainer.

I shot all these at 1.2 wide open

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay today I had the pleasure of trying several Leica M lenses and they all worked really nice. Have not shot real images with them to post but my wallet blew up in my pocket just thinking about it. 35 cron, 50 Cron latest and greatest, 75 cron, 90 cron , 135mm tele apo, A 1945 Jena Zeiss Sonnor50mm and a 280 MM Leica R. All worked perfectly. Oh a Nocti too.

I figure at least 150 banks from Yosemite to Phoenix on the way home, I have my ski mask handy. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, really like your posted images with the 50mm f1.2. The bokeh is so creamy, I'd never have realized that red tractor was sitting in the field .

As to the banks, why waste gas and make multiple stops at all those financial institutions? Simple do one stop shopping with your ski mask at the Leica store in Calif and pick up all those lovely Leica lenses. Oh wait, once you ask for that 1945 Jena 50mm, they'll catch on to your ploy and probably call for the sheriff. On second thought, the banks are probably a better idea...LOL! Anyhow, please keep posting your lovely images.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the darn thing is Camera West is on my way home. Personally I think the best used Leica glass in the country. It's a really dangerous place. More images coming a little later. This thing is just a blast to shoot. Everyone wants one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple more water series images . I focused stacked all of these.

Leica 19mm

Zeiss 85mm ZA

Zeiss 35mm F2 lens

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a couple random shots. Really Im just having fun. Workshops are the best for me as no client involved its my own personal vision and just love to hang friends and participants that just want to shoot and enjoy the art.

Zeiss 135mm F2 wide open

Zeiss 85mm . A barn we all got to shoot together which we all thought had interesting light hitting it

Zeiss 85mm. Hate to say it and as devastating as this fire was to Yosemite months ago its very interesting place to shoot. I just love the light on this one

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well its heavily processed but what the heck

Sap.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's amazing (and scary) how little snow we have in the mountains and Yosemite Valley this year. Mid-January and we have bare ground where we should have 20 feet of snow. My wife and I hiked in to some lakes at 7000' elevation in the Sierras on Saturday. Brutal blue skies (not one cloud) and mostly ground devoid of snow.

Enjoying the images from your scouting trip, Guy. Keep 'em coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy-Great stuff.

You are making me wonder if I should reorder an a7r or a7. Seems like you are getting no vibration. Maybe because they are hand held.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Guy-Great stuff.

You are making me wonder if I should reorder an a7r or a7. Seems like you are getting no vibration. Maybe because they are hand held.
    I'm struggling to decipher if you were saying this seriously?

Please explain your thinking...

---Michael
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    It's amazing (and scary) how little snow we have in the mountains and Yosemite Valley this year. Mid-January and we have bare ground where we should have 20 feet of snow. My wife and I hiked in to some lakes at 7000' elevation in the Sierras on Saturday. Brutal blue skies (not one cloud) and mostly ground devoid of snow.
    Im in Yosemite all week myself too. It sucks having no snow deluge compared to normal. You folks on the east are welcome to send the polar vortex back this way.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, after using the camera for a few weeks now, you are officially giving the A7R thumbs up? I'm still waiting for feedback before I take the next step. I'm only concerned with Sony's crazy menus and button placement taking a while to get used to. But if the images are on par with the D800E, then it may be worth putting up with the menus.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Already snowing fairly heavily here in the mid Atlantic. Whether we get the predicted 4-8", it's hard to say but send me a R/T ticket to Yosemite, and I bring you as many suitcases of the white stuff (snow) as they allow on board.

In one sense it must be a little discouraging not to have a snow covered landscape, but the natural beauty of the area you're in, rarely disappoints. In some respects it gets the creative juices flowing to come up with different views and some creative images. Have fun!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post

In one sense it must be a little discouraging not to have a snow covered landscape, but the natural beauty of the area you're in, rarely disappoints. In some respects it gets the creative juices flowing to come up with different views and some creative images. Have fun!

Dave (D&A)
    It's actually more serious than dealing with the photo opportunities. Another year of drought conditions in California will certainly impact water availability. In the Bay area, the high pressure induced drought conditions have killed the winds and created a serious air pollution problem. I think 24 out of the last 30 days have been "spare the air" days. On most of these days I can see, smell and taste the air pollution.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,

I wasn't implying or making light of the situation regarding lack of snowfall. I've been reading about the severe drought in California and the tremendous impact it's having in all sorts of ways. Once of the worse droughts in recent memory. So many changes in earth's environments, whether it's cyclical or a profound change.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave,
    I didn't think you were making light of the situation, I was just pointing out the downside of our beautiful weather.
    Cheers,
    Jeff

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, I realize that. It's good to point out the things that truly are important. As much as we all love our photography and equipment, there are certainly things bigger and more important in life. Sometimes it's all about seeing the bigger picture. Lets hope for better days ahead.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Valley View Sunset . A7r Leica 19mm 15 second exposure. ND filter

Its one of many so still looking for the best

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely image, Guy. Looks like late May, not January. *sigh*

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If that was tonight then we missed each other by about a mile. I was shooting the reflection of El Capitan in the river at Cathedral Rocks Vista bend.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Guy how did the Leica 135mm compare to the Zeiss 135?
    Also did you try any wide Leica Ms?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We tried just about ever wide angle there is but actually Woody would have a more definitive answer . Woody was shooting my A7 all day yesterday and we tried a bunch of glass. Looked like the 18and 21 had a little smearing and a little color shift. I shot both the Zeiss 135 and Leica 135 and they both worked amazingly well. No direct comparison on same subject but if you ask me a coin toss. Myself I still need the F2 for podium type work so I can't go to the Leica there . For me if I did some Leica glass 35-90 range would make more sense but maybe the only gain would be bulk and weight. Obviously more money too so it would be a limited purchase for me at least. I'm really happy with what I have. I need a 25 and 50 but waiting for the AF 24-70 first to really see my needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We tried the a7 and A7r on every lens but nothing truly official. Be awhile if we can sort that all out. Too busy shooting real images. Lol

I know one thing the Sony has peaked a lot of interest. Good for them too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One other note the Leica 135 is a short throw focus lens. It's going to be tougher to nail a short throw focus lens on a person than it will
    On a longer throw focus like the Zeiss 135. The Zeiss is simply easier to achieve focus on a person. We start getting longer as well critical focus is just tougher as well. Or better said I would rather have the Zeiss 135 for focusing people and the Leica more as a landscape type lens or another way to say this the hits will be more on the Zeiss but it's a bulky lens. No free lunch here.

The style of the lens here does not change just because it's on a Sony body.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, you mentioned some observations (in a previous post) with regards to testing the Leica 18 and 21. Two questions. We're your observations of little smearing and color shifts with the A7 or 7r and was this with the lenses shot wide open or stopped down?

Your Valley View sunset image is lovely!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

18 and 21 maybe a little smearing in the far corners on the A7r but it actually was not too devastating. The A7 looked better. But again wait for Woody"s comments as he was testing with a propose in mind. I really don't want to get too deep on which lens is working or not as for me to do that properly I would really have to test with that purpose in mind and carefully mark everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

His 50mm newest cron up nothing of note at all except worked wonderfully. His 35 cron may have had some magenta cast but I need him to confirm that.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

18 and 21 maybe a little smearing in the far corners on the A7r but it actually was not too devastating. The A7 looked better. But again wait for Woody"s comments as he was testing with a propose in mind. I really don't want to get too deep on which lens is working or not as for me to do that properly I would really have to test with that purpose in mind and carefully mark everything.
    Fully understand Guy. I too am hesitant to make any definitive comments about lens or camera performance without adaquate and proper testing. My concern like most is how M mount wide angle lenses (28mm and wider) perform on both the A7 and A7r when shot near or at wide open.

Obviously by stopping down to f8-f11, much of the smearing and color casts can be avoided, but those lenses often beg for shooting at wider apatures (depending on application of course).

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Valley View Sunset . A7r Leica 19mm 15 second exposure. ND filter

Its one of many so still looking for the best

Absolutely stunning image!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post