Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stop down focusing - Advice

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Stop down focusing - Advice

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    John, refer to one of my previous posts above. With rangefinder cameras like the M9 or MM, you can sort of try compensating your focus (focus slightly in front of your subject) when shooting with a lens with known focus shift. This way when stopping down a bit, and the lens starts back focusing (focus shifting), your subject hopefully will be in focus. It's a crap shoot and sort of what Tim was suggesting.

The other thing you can do is have the lens optimized for an f stop slightly stopped down rather than wide open. This will give a larger percentage of shots in focus when shooing between wide op en and f5.6. I describe the theory in one of my posts above.

Dave (D&A)
    I can confirm that theory Dave. It is what I had done to my non FLE 35/1.4 ASPH, and now I rarely experience a miss-focus due to shift when shooting with M9, MM or the M240 I briefly tested recently.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I can confirm that theory Dave. It is what I had done to my non FLE 35/1.4 ASPH, and now I rarely experience a miss-focus due to shift when shooting with M9, MM or the M240 I briefly tested recently.

- Marc
    Dave or Marc, question re the optimization, which aperture do you suggest? I tested my recent non-FLE Lux 35 asph on a make-shift DOF chart and it looks like f/2 to f/2.8 would be about right, maybe closer to f/2. What did you spec?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MCTuomey View Post
    Dave or Marc, question re the optimization, which aperture do you suggest? I tested my recent non-FLE Lux 35 asph on a make-shift DOF chart and it looks like f/2 to f/2.8 would be about right, maybe closer to f/2. What did you spec?
    I did f/2.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I did f/2.

- Marc
    thank you marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Completely agree with Marc! Generally for the Leica 35mm f1.4 Lux Asph (non FLE), optimize for f2. I had an acquaintance who I was assisting in determining what would be best for his sample, and it turned out to be f2.4 (yes between f2 and f2.8).

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Completely agree with Marc! Generally for the Leica 35mm f1.4 Lux Asph (non FLE), optimize for f2. I had an acquaintance who I was assisting in determining what would be best for his sample, and it turned out to be f2.4 (yes between f2 and f2.8).

Dave (D&A)
    and thanks to you dave. i'm corresponding with DAG to see when the work might be done.