The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/(r) for the profoundly lazy

nostatic

OK, I couldn't help myself so I picked up an A7 with the kit lens (I'm an OSS fan) along with the 55/1.8 as I do like a ridiculously sharp prime (my favorite is still Pentax 77/1.8). I'm keeping my GH3 as that gets use at work and play mostly for video, as well as GM1 as the "point and shoot." I'm on the fence about the 6D - my wife uses it every once in awhile to shoot her sculpture pieces but I think the A7 could replace it. And the A7 is way better behaved for shooting B-roll video relative to the 6D.

That said, I'm a pretty lazy shooter - typically put it in program mode and let the camera do the work. With stabilization and fast glass, things usually come out ok. I'm finding that the Sony requires a little more care, at least with the 55/1.8. Seems that shooting shutter priority and keeping it faster than 1/100 is the way to go (I shoot almost all handheld, often low light). The camera seems to default to 1/60 and I get some blur from that. Perhaps it is too much coffee.

I'm willing to change my ways and be a bit more involved in the process as opposed to just seeing shapes and angles and letting lady luck have a significant hand. Any tips on the config for the A7? Is shooting shutter-priority a good first pass approach or just go straight to manual? Did I mention I'm lazy? :D

jonoslack

Fantastic Auto ISO implementation isn't it! I agree.. If you don't have IS then you better shoot shutter priority

Ben Rubinstein

I prefer to use manual mode. Set shutter speed depending on my handholding ability, aperture for the subject then let the camera do the rest with auto iso. Exposure Compensation is there when you need it.

nostatic

What is funny is that I rarely use exposure comp other than to typically shoot -0.3 or -0.7 as I want to preserve highlights (at least with u4/3). Maybe I need to put that into more of the active mix.

Jono, I actually am happy with many of the 12800 images - what a world we live in...