Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony A7 / A7r compatible lenses thread...

Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7 / A7r compatible lenses thread...

Firstly, if this has been done, my apologies. However, as my A7r will be arriving in the morning, and I'm finding it a minefield to understand which lenses are best, I thought a dedicated thread may help myself and others alike.

If you have a lens combo from any brand (including sony themselves such as NEX) that offers nice, sharp images with minimal vignetting and smearing, please list it here. Sample images would be great as well :-)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony A7 / A7r compatible lenses thread...

Quote Originally Posted by w44neg View Post
    Firstly, if this has been done, my apologies. However, as my A7r will be arriving in the morning, and I'm finding it a minefield to understand which lenses are best, I thought a dedicated thread may help myself and others alike.

If you have a lens combo from any brand (including sony themselves such as NEX) that offers nice, sharp images with minimal vignetting and smearing, please list it here. Sample images would be great as well :-)

Well, just look through here. http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/49391-fun-a7-7r.html
    You then could start entering such a list. Thanks.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I did have a look through there but there's quite a lot of discussion between posts. I thought if people just posted a lens recommendation it may make a quick and easy resource if it hadn't been done :-)

Should have my A7r today... Looking forward to it :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have tried to compile a list without much success as individual users seem to report different results with the same lenses.

I am convinced now that the real way forward is the Zeiss 35mm, the Zeiss 55mm and the released tomorrow Zeiss 24-70. That's enough until the beta testing of other lenses is completed by new users.

It's early days yet and I'm as keen as everyone to test all my M mount lenses. I've given up with the DSLR lenses as they defeat the point of the camera because of their size/weight.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a very long couple of threads on FM forums about using the A7r with rangefinder lenses. Non rangefinder lenses are all compatible without colour shift or smearing so if they're good on other high res cameras then there will be little difference with the A7r.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

I can endorse Leica WATE, Leica Summicron 90/2 Apo, and CV 35 1.2. The CV needs stopping down a bit (F2.8 for most of frame, 5.6 for sharp corners) for good results at infinity, but at near distances it is good from wide open. Similarly, the Leica Lux 50 asph is very fine at near distances from wide open--especially in the central region, but needs considerable stopping down (F8) at infinity to get decent corners.

Post Thanks / Like

The A7R is a bit of a conundrum. It makes mush of the output of certain lenses, including some glorious RF glass, particularly but not only wides, but is suprisingly accomodating with less-than-stellar DSLR lenses. Many primes lenses from Olympus and Minolta do well, as well as Leica R, C/Y Zeiss, even the lesser ones.
    SoI endorse the oddly-matched pair, Leica Summicron 75 APO and Olympus 28 f:3.5