The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7(r) and Nikon 24 PC-E

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The Nikkor PC-E's still have aperture rings, so depending on the adapter you might be forced into stop-down metering and shooting mode, but it should work regardless.

tashley

Subscriber Member
That's exactly right Jack. And it's easier to use on the Sonys because of the improved live view focussing over a D800. The lens doesn't improve, however - but it is easier to find its sweet spots of focus and DOF.

As an aside, the a Novoflex adaptor I use allows G lenses to be used with full aperture control. All you lose is the EXIF.

I posted a small number of shots a while back, using the MTF adaptor I started off with and then replaced with the Novoflex, with which I haven't yet tried it.

Great for 'lensbaby' style work, probably quite hard work for architecture and 'straight' landscape but probably useable with some work.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I will try it with my new adaptor tomorrow but I think I'm correct... Though I am not sure what you mean by 'it'...

mbroomfield

I'm interested in your result.

Bjorn's comment on his web site seems to confirm the video, ie indicates that the aperture is electronically controlled. If so then the G adapter won't work.

"It is also the first Nikkor with an electro-magnetically controlled aperture (the "E" designation). "

tashley

Subscriber Member
I just tested it.

First: apologies. My first usage of this lens on the A7R was a few weeks ago and I took it for a short walk and fired a few shots. I was looking for the 'lens baby' effect and wanted to see how easy it was to focus with extreme tilt wide open, and if I did stop down at all (I don't remember!) I must have failed to notice that the lens wasn't stopping down. Because it doesn't.

I have tried every permutation:

* Lens set to individual aperture
* Lens set to L and attempt at setting aperture made with camera aperture dial and with adaptor aperture dial
* Lens mounted on D800 and stopped down to F11 with its own aperture dial, then removed from D800 and mounted on A7R

...all with appropriate presses of the on-lens DOF preview button.

Nothing works. The only way to get the lens to stop down is to mount it on a Nikon camera, select aperture with lens aperture dial or set lens to L and select aperture using on-camera dial, and then make an exposure or press the DOF preview button on the lens. In all other circumstances the lens is wide open: it needs a power supply from a Nikon via the mount to allow the aperture to stop down.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but other than for wide open shooting, the lens won't work on the A7R.

I will fiddle some more but that looks about the sum of it.

:mad:

Last edited:

BSEH

Thanks .. better to have it confirmed before buying the beast. I'll go for Canon TS-E, more expensive but I all better overall T/S lens, and There is made a selection of electronic adaptors for FF e-mount now.

Buying a Sony camera made me a Canon owner... :)

mbroomfield

Check various posts on FM and Lula. The Canon TSE lenses can be induced to flare because of the adapter. Some people have mitigated it by adding black flocking and one guy posted a full size template to make it easy to cut out.

BSEH

Check various posts on FM and Lula. The Canon TSE lenses can be induced to flare because of the adapter. Some people have mitigated it by adding black flocking and one guy posted a full size template to make it easy to cut out.
:thumbup: yes I'h read about the Metabone adaptor and problems, I'll go for a JR adaptor. Better build, same features and cheaper..