The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reid Reviews and a7r

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Sean Reid has just published the first of his articles comparing the Sony with the Leica M - eight more to come. Very interesting reading, I recommend the site. (It's a pay site but well worth the modest fee.)

jaree

I have a great deal of admiration for Mr Reid. I was a paid subscriber, but gave it up since he has shown no interest in upgrading his site and making it easier to read.

Does he still take photos of coins, old newspapers and back of people's heads in B&W? Add to it pictures of onions and tomatoes and a website that is hard to navigate and it starts to get a bit painful.

I would take L Chambers and his photos of 5,000 year old ancient bristlecones any day - at least he provides ultra high res pictures of interesting scenery and his site works flawlessly on iPad and tablets.

-- Eeraj

tashley

Subscriber Member
I think Sean is a lovely guy and his content is useful and interesting but I totally agree: ease of use is terrible!

Knorp

Have been a subscriber to Sean's site for many years, but recently just gave up - his site doesn't improve a bit.
A pity because the content can be very informative and useful.
Besides we have excellent testers here: a certain tashley-bloke to name one ... ;)

Kind regards.

tashley

Subscriber Member
You are too kind Bart - but I think Sean is waaay more useful!

I emailed him today to reiterate that I wouldn't re-subscribe next time, because of these usability issues. He replied politely... but I don't sense any change in the air.

Dale Allyn

It's a deal-breaker for me as well. I don't mind the idea of paying $32.95 for information if I'm searching for input prior to a purchase (although much is available in this community and others free of charge), but to pay and then not enjoy the user experience so that one wants to really browse the content and take it all in is off-putting.

As a web application developer (in one of my lives) UI/UX is really an important factor. Sure, my personal sites are almost always neglected and in need of updates, but Sean's is just too far out of sync with current needs. I say this with all due respect. While I'm not one to use themed CMSs (content management systems) just migrating his site over to a WordPress installation would do wonders (I generally prefer ExpressionEngine for such things, but WP has a huge number of free and cheap themes available). No need for complexity, just a clean user interface with proper navigation to all content, proper and effective search, etc.

I get that such an undertaking is a huge distraction for Sean, but at some point one must weigh the effects of not diving in and updating one's web offerings.

jonoslack

You are too kind Bart - but I think Sean is waaay more useful!
Yes Tim, but I bet you're the only person who thinks that :p
I emailed him today to reiterate that I wouldn't re-subscribe next time, because of these usability issues. He replied politely... but I don't sense any change in the air.

I get that such an undertaking is a huge distraction for Sean, but at some point one must weigh the effects of not diving in and updating one's web offerings.
Tim, Dale - I've talked to Sean about this as well - I don't think he's going to change it, he likes flash because of the security angle.

Dale Allyn

Hi Jono. That's a fair point (Flash [1]), but I was actually referring to site layout, navigation, search, aesthetics, etc. Not suggesting a bleeding-edge, state of the art website – just suggesting a better UI/UX.

[1] As for flash providing some security, it's a low barrier really – if a visitor can see it, it can be captured and used elsewhere. Not as easy as other content types, but still very doable (and easier these days).

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, Dale - I've talked to Sean about this as well - I don't think he's going to change it, he likes flash because of the security angle.
Despite my communications with Sean today I remain convinced that he doesn't really 'get' how bad the interface is, nor how little cut'n'paste plagiarism other sites suffer. And as so many others have pointed out, Flash is not a very high hurdle for a wannabe content thief.

ohnri

Count me as a yet another former Sean Reid subscriber who opted not to re-enlist due to the severe and well known usability issues.

-Bill

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Count me as a yet another former Sean Reid subscriber who opted not to re-enlist due to the severe and well known usability issues.

-Bill
Ditto. I got tired of his "set" and subjective descriptions of actual performance. He appears to try and render useful data, but seems a little too invested in his own agenda to be very objective...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Jack took the words right out of my mouth. I feel this way with a lot of reviewers as they are being paid to review which leads to subjective reviews to enhance subscriptions. There i freaking said it. Capice

Read that twice

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Besides, there are usually about 100 times as many images posted here with the same equipment from a variety of users who have nothing to gain by withholding negative results -- plus you can have an open and direct conversation about it AND it's free...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Last comment:

There are just too many good shooters on this forum that give advice because they do it for the love of photography and they want to share that knowledge for others and they just love doing it and there opinions are open and frank with nothing to gain except helping others. Frankly thats worth a **** load of money but its there heart and love that give it for free.

jonoslack

Despite my communications with Sean today I remain convinced that he doesn't really 'get' how bad the interface is, nor how little cut'n'paste plagiarism other sites suffer. And as so many others have pointed out, Flash is not a very high hurdle for a wannabe content thief.
No need to try and convince me Tim - I don't agree with him - just passing down what I understand to be his feelings.

Well, there's two ways about it.. either there are enough people happy to pay him for the content despite the user interface or his success declines and he has to draw the conclusions: either fix it or be out of business.

That being said, I have a serious dislike about subscription sites and subscriptions in general for that matter! Those monthly bills keep piling up.. very few services I need so often that I'd like to tie myself into year long contracts. I'd prefer small one time fees or free choice of contract term.. ie. buying a new camera/lens, I'd be interested for 6 days.

//Juha