The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reid Reviews and a7r

RVB

Well, there's two ways about it.. either there are enough people happy to pay him for the content despite the user interface or his success declines and he has to draw the conclusions: either fix it or be out of business.

That being said, I have a serious dislike about subscription sites and subscriptions in general for that matter! Those monthly bills keep piling up.. very few services I need so often that I'd like to tie myself into year long contracts. I'd prefer small one time fees or free choice of contract term.. ie. buying a new camera/lens, I'd be interested for 6 days.

//Juha
"That being said, I have a serious dislike about subscription sites and subscriptions in general for that matter! Those monthly bills keep piling up."

Adobe and their "cloud" comes to mind.. I refuse to subscribe...

turtle

RVB, I'm the same re the Adobe cloud. I also find that subscription is less and less necessary for photo stuff because there is ever more info available for free.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Then it needs to be a frigging HUGE teapot for this group!

A spy sent me this photo of a special sink in Tim Ashley's beach house:

Sadly my beach house is currently unreachable due to flooding, but if that is what the faucets are up to in my absence, I may strap myself into the waders and go for it...

Amin

I think Sean does great testing, has excellent essays, and has less sources of potential bias (affiliate revenue, etc) than most other reviewers, myself included.

However, I agree with most here that his site is a major hindrance. Most of the time, when I get the email that he has done a review, I don't bother to click on it because I don't want to deal with Flash. The fact that it can't be accessed at all on an iPad isn't a big deal to me, but I suspect it is for a lot of potential customers.

It works for him, and it's his prerogative to do things as he sees fit. However, I think he'd have a more successful business if he abandoned Flash and did things the way Lloyd Chambers does them.

jonoslack

Sadly my beach house is currently unreachable due to flooding, but if that is what the faucets are up to in my absence, I may strap myself into the waders and go for it...
Surely not - you're miles above sea level there . . . . the wall hasn't washed away has it?
As for the picture - I can imagine the wine dispenser, but I don't remember any taps as nasty as those :)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Surely not - you're miles above sea level there . . . . the wall hasn't washed away has it?
As for the picture - I can imagine the wine dispenser, but I don't remember any taps as nasty as those :)
Have you seen the St Ives TV video of the wharf on I day night? Horrifying! The house is ok, the access, less so...

jonoslack

Have you seen the St Ives TV video of the wharf on I day night? Horrifying! The house is ok, the access, less so...
Hi Tim. Missed it. Is the warf badly damaged? Link?
I hope the wine doesn't go off before you can get back:eek:

jlm

Workshop Member
been hooked on Doc Marten; isn't that filmed near St.Ives? absolutely beautiful country, and that from an oregon coast boy

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
been hooked on Doc Marten; isn't that filmed near St.Ives? absolutely beautiful country, and that from an oregon coast boy
John, now that you mention it, you kind of remind me of Doc.

KIDDING!!!! (Inside joke if you watch the show.) :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

thrice

I hope it isn't in poor taste, but can someone confirm or deny what I imagine the conclusion was?

M: Way better with wides, better colour at base ISO
A7r: better with ~35mm+, better DR and better high ISO

tashley

Subscriber Member

It is indeed filmed quite near there - but St. Ives is a lot more beautiful - one of the most lovely places I've ever been. Jono and I both have strong links with the place (he is from there and I live there part time)