The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

making compact technical camera for A7/A7r

M

mjr

This looks great, I think Jorgens question earlier interests me, the original 680 lenses used to have a good reputation, they have huge image circles and are extremely cheap, with a 35mm sensor the movements would be as big as was possible with the body. Does anyone know whether these old lenses will handle digital ok? I presume as only the centre would be uses, sharpness falloff shouldn't be much of an issue?

I like this idea a lot, I'd be very interested to see the results, it would appear to be a great studio camera if the lenses will stand it.

Well done on the build, great to see people push things forward.

Mat

Annna T

What lens mount (I only see Canon mount option) is available?
I guess it is because of the higher versatility of the Canon mount : Canon has a short flange distance with respect to other mounts, so you can adapt most other lenses on it.

Annna T

tested by 12-24,
15mm has +/- 1~2mm

18mm has +/- 4~5mm, it is enough to generally using.

21mm has +/- 6~8mm

24mm has +/- over 10mm

recommend good zoom lens , I tested another concept camera. af-s nikkor 17-35 (may be 14-24 is better) is very sharp even edges.

any questions, please let me know.
How much weight of that combo (without A7r and lens) ?

chiek

This looks great, I think Jorgens question earlier interests me, the original 680 lenses used to have a good reputation, they have huge image circles and are extremely cheap, with a 35mm sensor the movements would be as big as was possible with the body. Does anyone know whether these old lenses will handle digital ok? I presume as only the centre would be uses, sharpness falloff shouldn't be much of an issue?

I like this idea a lot, I'd be very interested to see the results, it would appear to be a great studio camera if the lenses will stand it.

Mat
I did. I used GX680 50mm, 115mm. These lens is enough for 22~39Mpx back. I've used P1 P25, P45
GX680 lenses are Very good even edges. sharpness is OK.
but Not Excellent compared to Newer digital lens.

chiek

Mat
please check my older LULA post,

custom compact view camera

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Doubt it would have any useable image circle outside of what it gives. The very far edges already go soft on FF and you need to stop down substantially to kill the vignetting.
Never had that lens myself (red lots of good things about it), so what do you suggest as a medium wide possibility?

chiek

Never had that lens myself (red lots of good things about it), so what do you suggest as a medium wide possibility?
I think the best lens is canon 24ts-2 and nikkor 14-24 zoom, these are very sharp even shifted edges.

I'm using sigma 12-24. Nikkor 18-35ed and olympus 35shift.

Godfrey

The Schneider PA-Curtagon 35mm f/4 or PA-Super Angulon 28mm f/2.8 in Leica R mount might be good. There are also a brace of Nikon PC-E offerings, and the Hartblei Superrotater ...

G

This camera looks really great! I am very interested in placing an order for it...

Did you modify the GX680 so it has rear movements? The original GX680 cameras only had front movements right?

The only bit I am confused with is the stitching resolutions you have provided. I am assuming that you are "stitching" with rear movements to avoid parallax right?

When you say that it has "vertical" resolution of 21000 x 7300 pixel (a7R) I assume that it means you have the camera in "landscape" orientation and then are using rear rise/fall to stitch a "vertical" image.

Same applies for the horizontal image, I assume that you have the camera in the "landscape" position and then stitch using rear shift (left/right) to get a 22000 x 4850 pixel (a7R) image?

Is this correct?

I could be mistaken but it seems that both have been taken with the camera in "landscape" orientation, is it at all possible to do the same 2 and 3 image stitches but with the camera in "portrait" mode?

Would this give an image that is close to a rectangle in shape? As opposed to a long panoramic image?

It would be nice to have both I think.. If at all possible :)

I was looking at the Fotodiox Rhinocam and with this you are able to stitch with the camera in a vertical format, ending up with a 6 x 4.5 horizontal image as well as a more panoramic image that looks a bit less than 6 x 12.

Vizelex RhinoCam for Sony NEX E-Mount Cameras

https://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/04/video-hands-fotodiox-vizelex-rhinocam

The issues with that are

* Cannot take the A7/A7R series, only the Nex E-Mount
* No opportunity to use front movements..

This new camera seems to be able to do all this, so it seems very cool....

So quite a long winded post but is there the opportunity to stitch the images but with the camera in portrait orientation?

Ok, thanks so much, really looking forward to know more about this camera and maybe some images to view?

Thanks and keep up the good work!

chiek

This camera looks really great! I am very interested in placing an order for it...

Did you modify the GX680 so it has rear movements? The original GX680 cameras only had front movements right?

The only bit I am confused with is the stitching resolutions you have provided. I am assuming that you are "stitching" with rear movements to avoid parallax right?

When you say that it has "vertical" resolution of 21000 x 7300 pixel (a7R) I assume that it means you have the camera in "landscape" orientation and then are using rear rise/fall to stitch a "vertical" image.

Same applies for the horizontal image, I assume that you have the camera in the "landscape" position and then stitch using rear shift (left/right) to get a 22000 x 4850 pixel (a7R) image?

Is this correct?

I could be mistaken but it seems that both have been taken with the camera in "landscape" orientation, is it at all possible to do the same 2 and 3 image stitches but with the camera in "portrait" mode?

Would this give an image that is close to a rectangle in shape? As opposed to a long panoramic image?

It would be nice to have both I think.. If at all possible :)

I was looking at the Fotodiox Rhinocam and with this you are able to stitch with the camera in a vertical format, ending up with a 6 x 4.5 horizontal image as well as a more panoramic image that looks a bit less than 6 x 12.

Vizelex RhinoCam for Sony NEX E-Mount Cameras

https://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/04/video-hands-fotodiox-vizelex-rhinocam

The issues with that are

* Cannot take the A7/A7R series, only the Nex E-Mount
* No opportunity to use front movements..

This new camera seems to be able to do all this, so it seems very cool....

So quite a long winded post but is there the opportunity to stitch the images but with the camera in portrait orientation?

Ok, thanks so much, really looking forward to know more about this camera and maybe some images to view?

Thanks and keep up the good work!
GX680 has no Rear movements. and Yes, Parallax free design
I wrote No moving film plane… same as parallax free. so This camera can perfect stitching.

vertical resolution.. approx 145mm(maximum stitched) x 36mm (original long side a7R)… let's calculations, approx over 25000 px x 7300 px.

If you use it plus front rise/fall , Total resolution is 2x (rise/fall +/- 13mm).

It can stitching by photoshop photo merge but I don't like that because of lens moving.

I think the best stitching is Hold lens position and rear shifting.

Shifting range is depends on Lens image circle.

Thanks so much for the reply back and for the clarification, much appreciated!

So just wondering how you have added rear movements to the GX680? Have you taken the front of an old one and somehow put it on the back?

Is there no way to add another row for stitching purposes, that is done on the rear to avoid parallax?

Ok, thanks a lot again.

chiek

Thanks so much for the reply back and for the clarification, much appreciated!

So just wondering how you have added rear movements to the GX680? Have you taken the front of an old one and somehow put it on the back?

Is there no way to add another row for stitching purposes, that is done on the rear to avoid parallax?

Ok, thanks a lot again.
There is very short flange back from EOS mounts to Alpha mount body (26mm)
26mm is not enough room for rear movements, so just shifting added.
First time, I wanted to put in Canon EOS electronic contacts like metabones3 adapter but No room to put in.

my concepts is enough to focus infinity with tilt/shift for landscape photographers.