The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/7R user experiences wanted: Is it a keeper?

nostatic

Well well well. I'm the crazy one for sure. The Sonys both a7 and A7r have replaced my Nikon system. Have to say and after doing a really big runway gig, workshop and client work that I have yet to hit the oh **** wall that I can't do something but on my radar screen I need a tethered solution at the end of the month . 2 days in the studio shooting models and cloths. Basically a catalog shoot. Gear not the issue as I have what I need its the tethered I need to figure out and be rock solid on it. So far so good but I can understand Marc's and others decision to hold on for awhile. Now I'm not completely crazy as I held unto some Nikon mounts as if it gets too much I can go rent. But I'm going to say this without hard proof but more on my experience and I feel my files are actually better at least in the area of color and look. I'm liking the color better over my Nikons. That was a risk I took in switching was I wanted better color and I believe that thought pattern panned out with the Sony. I'm not going to run a side by side on it but I'm going with my gut feeling on the Sonys.

I'm going to add a comment here and I maybe proved wrong but I feel everyone seems stuck in the mud and Sony is actually innovating
This is a pretty amazing endorsement. Something about the files hooked me as well. This morning I shot the A7 and 6D back to back and while it isn't night and day with the shots, I did prefer the A7 and then there is the whole size/weight thing. Plus I'm a sucker for one or two small/well-crafted primes that really send me. That can actually make me happy with a whole system. The Pentax ltd primes were awesome, and I just loved the 77/1.8 for whatever reason. The FE 55/1.8 is proving to be one of those lenses.

Now I'm just trying to keep from adding an A7R. I don't need to print big, but I often do end up doing heavy crops, especially since I don't have any long glass for this. I had a Fuji XT1 on order as I thought I'd switch back to APS-C for when I need longer reach but since I've got a GH3 that I use mostly for video, seems I should just get a Panny 100-300mm for the rare occasion I need something that long.

The one thing I am missing is a longer/macro. Seems that an adapter is the only way to go, though that was another reason to pick up the Fuji (shoot their 60/2.4 macro). That said, the Panaleica 45/2.8 on the GH3 could be a solution as well.

Trying to get all my bases covered, and seems like 1" (RX100), u4/3 or APS-C, and A7(r) does that. I need some silent shooters, often need to grab video, and am no longer willing to carry big gear. We are pretty spoiled these days...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I picked up Guy's and used my pre-purchase checklist on it.
I have not bought one.
YMMV
-bob

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have heavily invested into Sony system since A900 was launched. What I like about Sony is their sensor technology and the way they render color. But the main reason that I got into A7r is to use my Leica R glasses. Because of that, I am keeping the A7r. To me, it won't reply my Leica M system, nor my DSLRs.

Godfrey

... I need a tethered solution at the end of the month . 2 days in the studio shooting models and cloths. ...
The Eye-Fi wireless 16G card tethered to an iPad or desktop system seems quite sprightly for JPEG file review. 2-3 seconds per full resolution JPEG with the E-M1—haven't tested with the A7 yet.

Hmm, should drag it out and give it a shot.

G

addendum:
With A7:: did some testing. Full resolution JPEG transfer in 3-5 seconds, full resolution JPEG and raw in about 30 seconds (including auto-import to Lightroom). That's to the Mac mini over my home wireless.

Last edited:

pophoto

Okay guys, how do I turn off that auto focusing, without me actually pressing any buttons?
This always has me boggled!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Depends on lens but Native lenses like the 35 and 55 FE just turn the focusing ring and it switches to manual magnified view. Very cool

Godfrey

Okay guys, how do I turn off that auto focusing, without me actually pressing any buttons?
You mean with a Sony AF lens? I dunno. With a manual lens, the A7 is automatically always in MF mode. Just be sure you (one time) enable "shoot without lens" in the menus.

G

pophoto

Ok its the Pre-AF default to auto, that needs to turn off.

Okay next question: How do I set minimum shutter speeds?

Guy Mancuso

First do not put your finger anywhere on the shutter release I mean nowhere its very touchy. But I think the answer is I have zoom on in the menu. Ill have to look

fotografz

Set the focus mode to manual.

The rear thumb button will then AF when you want it, but otherwise it's manual focus (regardless of lens used) without pressing anything.

- Marc

nostatic

Set the focus mode to manual.

The rear thumb button will then AF when you want it, but otherwise it's manual focus (regardless of lens used) without pressing anything.

- Marc
Or DMF. That way you get AF with half shutter push (and focus peaking :D), then if you turn the focus ring you get the magnified view. Cake and eat it too.

fotografz

Or DMF. That way you get AF with half shutter push (and focus peaking :D), then if you turn the focus ring you get the magnified view. Cake and eat it too.
I understand that … but the question was "How do you turn off the AF without having to press any button?"

The answer to that is to set the camera's focus mode to Manual Focus.

Then AF defaults to the rear thumb button. I have my A7R set this way because all of my other cameras are set the same way … so the operation is the same camera-to-camera. AF is usually faster this way.

- Marc

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
"How do you turn off the AF without having to press any button?"

Easy answer. Shoot all Leica M glass ;=)

Guy Mancuso

I understand that … but the question was "How do you turn off the AF without having to press any button?"

The answer to that is to set the camera's focus mode to Manual Focus.

Then AF defaults to the rear thumb button. I have my A7R set this way because all of my other cameras are set the same way … so the operation is the same camera-to-camera. AF is usually faster this way.

- Marc
Hmmm that sounds interesting. Like to know that menu setting Marc. I may try it.