Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony A7 wi-fi problems ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sony A7 wi-fi problems ...

I'm having a little difficulty figuring out how to use the A7's wi-fi capabilities. I want to be able to connect to my iPhone/iPad for camera control (remote, etc, like I can with the Olympus OIShare app). Occasionally, it would be nice to tether to my desktop system too.

Do I need the "Play Memories" application?

With the E-M1, the camera acts as a server. I turn on its WiFi and connect to it with the iPad, then run the camera control/download images/etc from the OIShare app. Does the A7 work the same way?

What about the download apps for the Sony? Intervalometer, etc ... They all seem to want me to connect the camera to my wireless network. Well, my wireless network is secured with WPA2 Personal encryption ... NO matter how many times I've chosen the correct server and entered the password, the A7 says it cannot connect to it. Huh?

Terrible documentation on this stuff from Sony ...

Any help appreciated.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sony A7 wi-fi problems ...

Your A7/A7r acts as an accesspoint.
    You need the Smart Remote Control App to make it work.
    Frankly, I find it a cumbersome operation, but it works although slow ...:sleep006:

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

There is another Sony app "Wireless Auto Import" that I used with my NEX6 to import raw images via wifi to my MBA, but unfortunately the current version of this app does not support either the A7R or Mac OS 10.9. They are supposed to have a revision out soon, but not available yet
    Carl
    Gallery

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I never worked out how to do transfers to my desktop. Set up the PlayMemories Home software alright but it just doesn't seem to work.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Figured out what I needed. The PlayMemories Mobile app on the iPad, and a bit of fussing about with the network settings, got it to the point where I can trigger the camera remotely, save a downsized JPEG to the iPad. Good enough.

The Remote Camera Control app seems to only work via USB and is darn clumsy.

Given the quality of this stuff, I just need a wired or wireless remote. :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

Sony upgraded smart remote control (included with the camera) on 19DEC13 to v2.1.
    https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.c...9014_00-F00002

Using a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet, shooting raw only, I have almost instant review and control of my a7r wirelessley.

I recently purchased the updated intervalometer app, although I haven't had the occasion to play with it.

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.c...9014_00-000003

Graham

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I are going on a short trip tomorrow to celebrate our 55th wedding anniversary. I am taking my A7R. I would like to transfer pictures from my camera to my iPhone, so I can instantly post on Facebook. or email. Can this be done? Last trip, several weeks ago, I took some real good "keepers" with my A7R, then pulled out my iPhone and made a similar shot so I could post it, but the capabilities were very limited. I usually shoot RAW, but I assume I would need to shoot RAW + JPG?
    Thanks in advance
    Dave in NJ

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    My wife and I are going on a short trip tomorrow to celebrate our 55th wedding anniversary. I am taking my A7R. I would like to transfer pictures from my camera to my iPhone, so I can instantly post on Facebook. or email. Can this be done? Last trip, several weeks ago, I took some real good "keepers" with my A7R, then pulled out my iPhone and made a similar shot so I could post it, but the capabilities were very limited. I usually shoot RAW, but I assume I would need to shoot RAW + JPG?
    Thanks in advance
    Dave in NJ
    I'm no expert yet, but ...

I don't know about using Sony's software to do this. I was able to get the Playmemories Mobile app working well enough to do remote triggering, and it supports the option of saving a downsized JPEG to the Camera Roll on the iPad or iPhone. But I found it rather clumsy to use. I could not get the A7 to connect to my private wireless network, so none of the other software would work correctly.

I then decided to configure the Eye-Fi card and test it in the A7. I set it up to use my private wireless network and download to my computer both RAW and JPEG. That worked splendidly, about 30 seconds or so per image. Turning off the RAW transfer sped it up to about 5 seconds per image.

Eye-Fi has an app so you can configure a card to talk to your iPhone or iPad either through a wireless network or by creating a direct hot spot. I didn't have time to get it working all the way, but it looks like that would be the ticket for your needs.. shoot whatever photos you want, then pull out the iPhone or iPad. connect to the Eye-Fi card, and download/etc whatever photos you want.

I would certainly configure the camera for JPEG+raw capture. iPads/iPhones are not the ideal environment for raw processing (although PhotoRAW does support the A7/A7r raw format), so it tends to be somewhat slow. JPEGs are certainly good enough out of the A7 to be useful.

G

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gurtch View Post
    Thanks in advance
    Dave in NJ
    This app (https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.c...9014_00-F00003) appears to do what you want, as you mention Facebook. You'll need to turn on your iphone's wi-fi hotspot capability (How to use an iPhone as a Wi-Fi hotspot: configuring Personal Hotspot - PC Advisor).

Graham

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all....I will give it a try.
    Dave