The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Not a Sony A7/r Funboy, sorry...

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Ain't EVER going to happen Dave. :thumbdown:

However, I once had carrots in a La-De-Da restaurant in Paris that were delicious … but as my dad was fond of saying, "The French can make a dog turd taste good" … (to which I always asked how he knew that for sure) :ROTFL:

I do understand not liking RVF … I didn't like the "taste" when I first got my A99. Now I don't even think about it, and have come to really like the whole notion of what you see is what you get.

What remains a real issue for me with the Sony's Live-View EVF is … to keep the viewfinder live, you have to shut off the instant LCD review. :thumbdown:

If you don't configure the camera that way, it can be terribly disorienting … with LCD on, the last shot review also appears in the viewfinder :wtf:

- Marc
Took me a bit to get used to that as well. I had to learn the artful dodger trick of half shutter press to clear it. Nikon/Canon trained me well to never expect to see what I had already shot in the viewfinder. Different strokes for different folks, but I guess they can't display both the viewfinder image and a different rear screen image at the same time?

Would be kind of like trying to walk and chew carrots at the same time. :deadhorse:

Ben Rubinstein

I found that I had to turn review off anyway to reduce shutter lag. It is disconcerting though that when you've been chimping and then put the camera to your eye, instead of seeing your subject, you see the photo in the viewfinder that you've just been reviewing. By the time you work out what's gone wrong, it's too late. Happened twice to me yesterday.

sisoje

LOL. And your opinion counts a lot. It's always nice to hear all views on these things.
Mr. M: it works both ways!

I am sure most of the "hard core" a7 guys that are throwing stones and carrots at me, will have a new toy in 6 months. I just don't do that... Now, you can shoot me! :banghead:

tashley

Subscriber Member
No stones, just carrots, but I have to say, just to leaven the levity, that your OP title has the word 'Funboy' in it which has very strong echoes of 'fanboy' - a phrase normally used to imply that other people are buying a particular camera because of their blind loyalty to the brand rather than the qualities of the machine itself. That might be why you got a reaction. Maybe that was what you wanted?

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Your title is very captivating. Even I am not a Sony A7/A7R fanboy or owner, I have to come to visit and check things out. I'd like to see how you're doing. I think the fanboys are much nicer than I thought :)
Can you imagine if the carrots are raw eggs?

sisoje

Tashley: Well, I did not call anybody an"F" word but just stated I am not. And as I can process,meaning of that word has wider meaning than you mentioned. Not to go in details, I just wanted to mention "another view" of particular piece of gear. Expected reaction, not carrots...
I understand all good points of the camera in question, all fine. But, as anybody's else "opinion" on the forum I stated mine. Am I required here only to be "positive"? I went. I tried. Did not like it. Back to my original post: I can't get over the evf. I said I prefer "analog" (viewing and framing) over digital. Even I have been using evf devices last 25+ years in broadcast cameras (mostly branded "Sony") and being a "Funboy" of Sony pro video cameras my self, I just did not like the feel of looking "thru" a7...
Back to finish of a7: again being subjective just as anybody else here, I found a7 exterior kind of not adequate to what is inside (and the quality of images as I can see here, it delivers). Sorry. For me, Sony did the same thing with their PMW line of HD Cinema cameras in beginning (F3, that I still own and F700 as well). That sparked a hole new market of products by independent companies that tried to "fix" that (some better than others...). It took Sony few tries, and finally they are close to "perfection" with F5/F55...
And they did it not because they are generous, but because they "got the message" form the field...
Makes sense?

Well, Sisoje.. just to elaborate a bit on Tim Ashley's point of view.

Even though you, as you stated, didn't mean to imply that everybody/most here would be A7 fanboys it somewhat does come across as such statement. And that usually sparks a note or two. It's a bit of stupid situation in many ways, but quite often the internet forum trolls would start their threads with similar wordings.. thus we get to where we are now with this thread.

As to stating your opinion, it's more than welcome and actually encouraged! One just needs to be a bit careful with their word games to not get mixed with trolls..

Anyway, think everybody now gets the real deal and understands that you just wanted to discuss how you feel about the camera and that it's not to your liking.

//Juha

retow

Oh boy would I be busy if I were to post on dedicated fora on all the things I held in my hands in stores an eventually did not buy:salute:

sisoje

Oh boy would I be busy if I were to post on dedicated fora on all the things I held in my hands in stores an eventually did not buy:salute:
You might be spending too much time in stores then...:thumbs:
I went to one only to see what was all the "hoopla" about with a7...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Out of interest did you try an A7R for 'feel' ? I actually like it, and I understand that it feels a bit more 'grown up' than the A7.

Thomas Fallon

The A7R does look like a toy. I added the vertical grip just to make it fit my hand a little better. Compared to my flagship 1DX, it does not look or feel like a professional tool. Not a fan of the adapter or the lack of native lenses. I don't like that that it does not have available a range of professional accessories. However ... I love the EVF. I love the whole experience of using it. I love the IQ. I love the focus peaking. Not the least, I am happy to see Canon and Nikon get the butt kicking they deserve. I have been waiting patiently for years for Canon to come out with something ground breaking. I ditched the Canon glass a while back in favor of Zeiss. Now I ditched the camera too.

Don Libby

I really understand the concept of judging by feel. Years ago as I made the switch from film to digital I gave Hassy a try and as soon as I had it in my hands I remember not liking the way it felt. I will admit I shot with it looking at the files it produced but was so turned off at the feel I just couldn't get past that initial impression.

In the same vain I don't care much for peas for the way they feel but that's a different conversation.

I was so impressed with the A7r both the way it felt and the files it produced that I've now ended up buying it as a walk around in leu of my DF. In the end, you need to be true to yourself.

Don

djonesii

Workshop Member
as too look and feel, almost 8 years ago now, I walked into a best buy, held a Canon Rebel, and a Nikon D50 ..... I had never shot a film SLR .... In less than 10 seconds, I knew I was a Nikon shooter.

Every time I pick up a Canon, that memory comes back.

a few years later, I did not have the same connection with an M6

or a Mamiya AF-D

I did get it with the OM-D EM-5, none of the other M-4/3 though ....

Have not been in to see the A7 yet .... I'm too scared :banghead:

First impressions matter, a lot!

Dave

mazor

The A7R does look like a toy. I added the vertical grip just to make it fit my hand a little better. Compared to my flagship 1DX, it does not look or feel like a professional tool. Not a fan of the adapter or the lack of native lenses. I don't like that that it does not have available a range of professional accessories. However ... I love the EVF. I love the whole experience of using it. I love the IQ. I love the focus peaking. Not the least, I am happy to see Canon and Nikon get the butt kicking they deserve. I have been waiting patiently for years for Canon to come out with something ground breaking. I ditched the Canon glass a while back in favor of Zeiss. Now I ditched the camera too.

Don't mind me saying if you thought you like the EVF in the A7 or A7r, then you should have a try of the Olympus E-M1. It's EVF is much better again as its magnification is larger, plus it uses ambient light sensors to improve the whole EVF experience.

nostatic

I may be wrong, but I think Sony Funboy is going to play Lollapalooza this year. Their latest album, "Bunch of Carrots" is pretty good...

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I found that I had to turn review off anyway to reduce shutter lag. It is disconcerting though that when you've been chimping and then put the camera to your eye, instead of seeing your subject, you see the photo in the viewfinder that you've just been reviewing. By the time you work out what's gone wrong, it's too late. Happened twice to me yesterday.
I shoot wildlife with my EVF cameras and I find it's best to turn off the review function altogether - too big a chance of missing the action. And if you do want to review, it's only a second the tough that little arrow button...

douglasf13

Well, I went today to local "candy shop" and held the A7 for the first time.
Verdict: not for me.

- general size of the body: puny, sort of uncomfortable to hold (OEM 50mm lens mounted)

- evf: not a fan! I am still "analog" guy. I can't get around evf for still camera. The hole process of electronic image going "in and out" of focus is so distracting to me....

-fit and finish: light years behind my "M"...

I will stick with my D800/Leica M/M9 for some time in the future. All praised image quality from Sony is not everything for me. Enjoying the "tool" is big part as well...

Cheers!
As someone else mentioned, it sounds like you should look at the RX1 with an OVF in the hotshoe. I replaced my M9+35 Cron Asph with the RX1 last year, and I haven't looked back. The RX1 is compact, nearly the build quality of the M9, has a silent leaf shutter, and the IQ is better than any Leica equivalent.

I don't love using EVFs, either, and I think too many potential RX1 users disregard the usefulness of using a "dumb" OVF in the hotshoe. I just keep the camera set to center point AF, and it's easy to visualize the center AF area in a nice, bright, uncluttered viewfinder. I even find the AF with an OVF just as effective as my Fuji's hybrid viewfinders, since neither optical viewfinder is TTL (sold an X100s in favor of the RX1, too.)

ZoranC

I can see the lines forming deep of all people that test drove the car last weekend and felt the need to inform the world "<insert brand name and model here> is not for me".

P.S. If you guys only knew what "sisoje" means in Serbian you wouldn't be taking his post very seriously.