The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Not a Sony A7/r Funboy, sorry...

fotografz

I shoot wildlife with my EVF cameras and I find it's best to turn off the review function altogether - too big a chance of missing the action. And if you do want to review, it's only a second the tough that little arrow button...
That's how I shoot.

Still dislike having to press the arrow during a fast paced wedding or event rather than just a quick glance. Definitely an advantage of using a OVF DSLR.

I read that Leica has separated the EVF and LCD review on the X cameras … I wonder if that is true, and whether it is something that can be implemented?

- Marc

sisoje

P.S. If you guys only knew what "sisoje" means in Serbian you wouldn't be taking his post very seriously.

Г-дине Зоране,

Молив вас просветлите не образоване масе интернета шта "значи" мој псеудоним и какве то везе има шта ја пишем и да ли сам "озбиљан"или не...

Enjoy your a7! :thumbup:

sisoje

As someone else mentioned, it sounds like you should look at the RX1 with an OVF in the hotshoe. I replaced my M9+35 Cron Asph with the RX1 last year, and I haven't looked back. The RX1 is compact, nearly the build quality of the M9, has a silent leaf shutter, and the IQ is better than any Leica equivalent.

I don't love using EVFs, either, and I think too many potential RX1 users disregard the usefulness of using a "dumb" OVF in the hotshoe. I just keep the camera set to center point AF, and it's easy to visualize the center AF area in a nice, bright, uncluttered viewfinder. I even find the AF with an OVF just as effective as my Fuji's hybrid viewfinders, since neither optical viewfinder is TTL (sold an X100s in favor of the RX1, too.)

Thanks for suggestion, but I like my M9 and M240. I have no need or desire to change it for anything else. Period. I simply went for "test drive" and reported. A different take, sort of speak. I have no need for another type of body in my kit, especially the one that is not a "fit". Again, I am not a type of photographer who runs out and changes all pro gear (good God i am still using 4 years old digital rangefinders!) when ever "new super model" is in town. I am not saying that is wrong. Do what ever you want with your $$ if that makes you happy (as long as it's legal:D).

I see that some a7 users found out similar things as I did, but decided to go for it because other reason that were paramount over listed shortcomings. That is fine as well...

Again, I have nothing against Sony, the brand. I saw it coming long time ago, when they started thier DSLR. In few years they will be even bigger as Nikon and Canon keep dragging thier feet. Time will tell. And I am sure a8 or a9 will be even better. No doubt.

f/otographer

Well, I went today to local "jewelry shop" and held a Leica for the first time.
Verdict: not for me.

- general size of the body: puny, sort of uncomfortable to hold (OEM 50mm lens mounted, Cron something?...meh)

- Rangefinder: not a fan! I am still "digital" guy. I can't get around ancient tech for still camera. The hole process of the image going "in and out" of focus in a tiny box is so distracting to me....

-fit and finish: light years overpriced...

I will stick with my NEX 7 for some time in the future. All praised image quality from inflated german optics is not everything for me. Enjoying the "end result photo" is big part as well...

Cheers!

Godfrey

Well, I went today to local "candy shop" and held the A7 for the first time.
Verdict: not for me.

- general size of the body: puny, sort of uncomfortable to hold (OEM 50mm lens mounted)

- evf: not a fan! I am still "analog" guy. I can't get around evf for still camera. The hole process of electronic image going "in and out" of focus is so distracting to me....

-fit and finish: light years behind my "M"...

I will stick with my D800/Leica M/M9 for some time in the future. All praised image quality from Sony is not everything for me. Enjoying the "tool" is big part as well...

Cheers!
Guess it's not the right camera for you.

I'm delighted with the A7's ability to image with my lenses with exactly the same fidelity I get from the Leicaflex SL. The camera itself ... A little cheese whiz clunker, but a good viewfinder and excellent sensor.

Making photos that show me the qualities of these lenses is more important to me than whether I'm fondling lovely machinery. :)

G

I read that Leica has separated the EVF and LCD review on the X cameras … I wonder if that is true, and whether it is something that can be implemented?
- Marc
Yep, it can. I have the X2 and just recently got the olympus vf-2 evf for it. And I'm not liking it.. the evf itself is pretty crap compared to A7r. Slow in refresh rate and also the picture is really cold. It's a distraction.. Also the evf's ergonomic fit isn't the best. For me it would need to come out further back to feel good. Now I feel my nose is pushed inside the camera to view it properly.

Also, the review thing works nice, BUT there is no sensor to switch automatically between evf and lcd. And that's a pain.. I do my settings through the lcd, so I end up manually switching between screens. :cussing:

So I think I'll be getting rid of that evf soon and continue shooting the X2 at arms length, which actually works quite nicely in good light.

Well, enough Leica in Sony funboy thread :OT:

//Juha

Last edited:

ZoranC

Г-дине Зоране,
Enjoy your a7! :thumbup:
Thank you, I already _AM_ enjoying it (A7R, to be precise). You see, rangefinder is not for me, and I am not interested to lug my Nikon full frame with me all the time either, A7R works great for me. (weird, for some reason I never felt the need to inform Leica and Nikon crowd about it)