The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Not a Sony A7/r Funboy, sorry...

sisoje

Well, I went today to local "candy shop" and held the A7 for the first time.
Verdict: not for me.

- general size of the body: puny, sort of uncomfortable to hold (OEM 50mm lens mounted)

- evf: not a fan! I am still "analog" guy. I can't get around evf for still camera. The hole process of electronic image going "in and out" of focus is so distracting to me....

-fit and finish: light years behind my "M"...

I will stick with my D800/Leica M/M9 for some time in the future. All praised image quality from Sony is not everything for me. Enjoying the "tool" is big part as well...

Cheers!

fotografz

I went to the grocery store today.

Picked up a bunch of carrots. Not for me. I Hate carrots.

Didn't really need to test the carrots, because I know I hate them.

But I thought you carrot lovers should know.

:loco:

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well the Sonys are not for everyone totally get that but spend a week with it and you may change your thinking a little. There actually pretty proficient little image makers.

jaree

Ok, so I am crossing off A7/r and carrots from my list. Anything else I should be aware of?

Eeraj

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea you live in New Jersey. LOL

Now I can say that since I grew up there.LOL

I'm just joking

D&A

I can only think of two things to add to this thread.

1. Maybe that's why Baskin - Robins offers 31 different flavors. Cameras like different ice cream flavors are quite subjective.

2. Like many things in life (and as Guy implied), it sometimes takes time to cultivate a taste for something.

Therefore Marc, keep eating those carrots :).

Dave (D&A)

Don Libby

If everyone liked the same camera we'd only have one to choose from.

On the other hand - first impressions are important just as testing.

And I like carrots too, must be an Arizona thing....:D

sisoje

Fun and carrots aside, and all the "fanboy choir" singing...

I just gave my impression. We can all agree to disagree. I was reading all the praises about the new camera on these pages for weeks. Enjoyed every bit of it. Even some of the images. So, I went and tried it. Didn't like it. I bet this nice camera will entertain a lot of folks on this forum for some time (until next "super model" comes to town). I am just not one of them... Back to my boring lenses, rangefinders and DSLR with yellow cast...

bensonga

I'm sure Sony is devasted that they just lost a sale to "sisoje" and the rest of us will soon be selling our A7/A7r cameras, based on his first impressions.

If "sisoje" was truly an "analog" guy, he wouldn't be shooting with a D800, Leica MM or Leica M9....he'd be shooting exclusively with film.

Re "fit and finish"...many of us appreciate the beauty of a Leica camera and lens (I know I do), but has anyone here experienced corrupted memory cards with an A7/A7r yet? Not me. My friend with an M9P did last week....in his own words, it was "very frustrating!". Luckily for my friend, he had a Fuji X-E2 to fall back on....EVF and all.

Gary

Last edited:
Re "fit and finish"...many of us appreciate the beauty of a Leica camera and lens (I know I do), but has anyone here experienced corrupted memory cards with an A7/A7r yet? Not me. My friend with an M9P did last week....in his own words, it was "very frustrating!". Luckily for my friend, he had a Fuji X-E2 to fall back on....EVF and all.
Just part-ex'd my M9 + 2 lenses in a deal to get the A7r. Never had any failures with the M9 or the M8 before that. And both of those cameras and especially the lenses were beautifully made and I truly enjoyed shooting with them.. just that my manual focus wasn't fast enough for my 2 year old daughter.

In ideal world I would have kept that my M9 and got the A7r on the side. But alas, we don't live in ideal world.

That said, have zero complaints on how the sony looks or how it's built. And I'm starting to get the settings right too (ie. managed to turn most of the useless stuff off and flight mode on). it's starting to feel like a quite enjoyable "little imager" and I'm thinking of getting 1-2 mf lenses for it, for those sentimental moments when I'm missing my Leicas..

As for the OP, he's actually quite correct in his statements. I wouldn't buy a camera either, if it felt somehow awkward in my hands. Leica X-vario comes to mind.. without evf really strange and I have that evf for my X2 and starting to dislike it. I'll probably sell it and keep shooting the X2 at arms lenght. Or swap it to next iteration of the X100 series Fuji (or X3 if such comes with a proper integrated evf).

//Juha

padams

You might want to give the Sony RX1 a look. Sure you can't change lenses but the build quality and EVF are light years ahead of the A7 IMHO. There is no lag or blurriness in the RX1 EVF. I had no idea how good it was until I first played with the A7 which nearly gave me vertigo while panning...

fotografz

I can only think of two things to add to this thread.

1. Maybe that's why Baskin - Robins offers 31 different flavors. Cameras like different ice cream flavors are quite subjective.

2. Like many things in life (and as Guy implied), it sometimes takes time to cultivate a taste for something.

Therefore Marc, keep eating those carrots :).

Dave (D&A)
Ain't EVER going to happen Dave. :thumbdown:

However, I once had carrots in a La-De-Da restaurant in Paris that were delicious … but as my dad was fond of saying, "The French can make a dog turd taste good" … (to which I always asked how he knew that for sure) :ROTFL:

I do understand not liking RVF … I didn't like the "taste" when I first got my A99. Now I don't even think about it, and have come to really like the whole notion of what you see is what you get.

What remains a real issue for me with the Sony's Live-View EVF is … to keep the viewfinder live, you have to shut off the instant LCD review. :thumbdown:

If you don't configure the camera that way, it can be terribly disorienting … with LCD on, the last shot review also appears in the viewfinder :wtf:

- Marc