The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7/R sanity check on flash shoe

tashley

Subscriber Member
I haven't used flash on mine yet but I have a portrait shoot coming up and I might choose to use the Sony rather than a D800 or Phase setup.

As I understand it, 'normal' flash shoe fitting accessories such as older or third party flashes, or my Bowens Pulsar (it is like a Pocket Wizard) won't work with the existing shoe - might even fry something?

So I think I need the ADP-MAA Shoe adapter. DOes anyone know if that is correct?

TIA

tashley

Subscriber Member
err, or do I need the AMA version, which looks right but isn't listed on the accessory chart?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Pocket wizards do work Tim. No issue there . The Sonys if you look inside the hot shoe you will notice a connection underneath towards the front. The Sony flash I bought works perfect. Its model 43.

I'll post more info later just woke up and going back to sleep.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes no adapters just straight flash to shoe . The front part of the flash shoe on the flash itself has a connector on the leading edge. I think that controls the TTL functions so you need a comparable flash. Long story on this one but I tried 3 diffrent brands and would not work correctly. You needed the 348 dollar Sony 43. Okay that was all about TTL function the middle of the hot shoe on the camera like all hot shoes is the same function as any other cam , so that connection will pop a pocket wizard.

Little hard to explain via text here but if you want TTL get the Sony flash. I'll get a link

tashley

Subscriber Member
Thanks Guy. I'm gonna be brave and plug it all together and see what happens!

You can buy me an Otus if it goes wrong :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

tashley

Subscriber Member
I just tried the Bowens Pulsar. I set the camera to manual, and it works at 1/160th but not above. Cool. Thanks for the advice Guy!

bcaslis

I use the HVL-F43M flash also. I've been impressed with the flash exposure with the Sony. Almost as good as my Nikons. Much better and more consistent than I ever got from the Olympus E-M5 and E-M1 I had.