The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 135 F2 Apo ZF.2 PLUS Sigma 1.4 Tele

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well someone had to do this. LOL
Its big , its heavy but man it sweet.

This is my little dog Sophie. Half pug and half miniature pincher. Talk about the princess of the house, when my daughter moved out she took right over. LOL

135 plus the 1.4 converter shot at 2.8 effective F4

Now I can read this expression all too clearly. :wtf:

Guy Mancuso

Okay so I did run a test and its very interesting. I can tell you the results as i really don't feel like posting it but here goes at F2 with converter on so effective 2.8 its a little soft and at 2.8 effective F4 it gets a lot better and hits its peak at F4 effective 5.6 and its very sharp. Now after that at F5.6 effective F8 you can see diffraction set in and at F8 effective F11 it looks like the F2 shot as diffraction took over.

Anyway Im going up to Jerome in the morning with a forum member and ill shoot real shots with it and post. Getting bored of these lens tests. LOL

Guy Mancuso

I'm having thoughts on getting the Sony 135 1.8 instead. What I like is not only the AF ability but like my 851.4 ZA I like the ability to get to focus fast to subject than just fine tune manually and with focus peaking I am starting to like the ZA adapter setup. I'm sure they have a 1.4 tele as well. So I might sell this rig. Commercially having AF is handy but I like how the ZA glass manually focuses which most AF glass manual focus stinks.

mark1958

My suggestion is to get a leica 135mm 3.4 for reach. Keep the 85 1.4 ZA as your aperture fast and fast focusing tele. The Leica is so small. I have read that the Zeiss 135/2.0 Apo is not as sharp or contrasty as the Sony 135 1.8 but no practical experience

Luvwine

That Leica 135 is nice and light and small. I just had one arrive today and am looking forward to try it out!

Guy Mancuso

I find that odd myself the Sony is better. Well my Zeiss is listed for sale. Now no one will buy it. Lol
Guess eBay here I come. Lol

S

Shelby Lewis

I had the Sony ZA 135/1.8 when I shot the a900. Arguably the best lens I've owned.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Over a year ago, when I wanted the Zeiss 135mm, I chose the Sony over Nikon due to its AF. The Sony A99 and Zeiss 135mm f/1.8 ZA are one of the best 35mm-DSLR combinations I've ever used.
I've also discovered I like EVF more than optical viewfinder.

Pramote

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
No, Sony/Zeiss is better than the Leica 135/3.4. I sold the Leica 135/3.4 recently.

Thanks for your clarification. I also have both lenses and fully agree with you that Sony/Zeiss is a far more versatile and useful lens than Leica 135 APO. What I am thinking is the performance between the Zeiss ZF 135 APO vs Sony/Zeiss 135.

ryc

I tried th enikon teleconverter on my 135 f2 and it would not fit. am i clear in understanding you used the sigma 1.4 converter on the 135 f2 ZF lens without contacting rear element?