The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 and A7r owners. Are we having fun yet.

Godfrey

Yeah, Marc, I heard it this way:

Journalist: Did you ever in your wildest dreams think you'd make it to the final four?
Coach: Son, my wildest dreams aren't about basketball.

But since we're discussing cameras and photography - I've read a lot about what wide angle RF lenses do and don't work with the A7(r), and it doesn't look good for my favorite lens this side of tech cameras, the 28 Cron, but what *is* a jewel in this focal length? I don't mind stopping down if it will get good detail and color to the corners.

Thanks,

Matt
Matt, I'm pretty darn happy with what I see out of the Leica Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8 on the A7 sensor. I'm pretty sure the Elmarit-R 28mm would do as well or better. I posted it elsewhere, but here's the corner/edge behavior focused at about 6' distance in a composite image:
Leica Elmarit-R 24mm - Corner Performance on A7

At greater focus distances, theres a small bit more smudging visible at the very corners, which cleans up nicely at f/5.6 or so.

In general, SLR lenses are more likely to be an optical match to "FF" format digital sensors, particularly once you get down to lenses with focal length shorter than the format diagonal.

(As soon as my mount adapter gets here, I'm going to test the M-mount Voigtländer Ultron 28mm f/2 as well. I've heard that it does well on the A7 sensor, and a quick test at the store the other day was encouraging. It's a more retrofocus design than many other M-mount 28mm lenses, which helps.)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Godfrey,

Thank you. That makes sense, and I've certainly seen much to admire in images from the R lenses.

--Matt

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have been looking for digital solutions for my Leica R lenses for a long time and Sony A7r fits the bill very nicely and without any IQ issues. As for Leica M lenses, I much prefer using them on Leica M bodies.

Godfrey

I have been looking for digital solutions for my Leica R lenses for a long time and Sony A7r fits the bill very nicely and without any IQ issues. As for Leica M lenses, I much prefer using them on Leica M bodies.
I can only agree with that, at least as far as the A7 body is concerned. If I go through with one plan of action, I'll acquire an A7r body as well ... so far, what I'm seeing from others shooting with the A7r and Leica R lenses has been promising too.

M bodies or the Ricoh GXR A12 Camera Mount (APS-C format) that was designed for M-mount lenses are the best choices for those lenses. And it's not just format size, that's the kicker: I've not been overly impressed with M-mount lenses' performance on either Micro-FourThirds or Sony NEX (excepting the 5n and 6 models) either.

Sensor optimization for the short register lenses is the key; only the M bodies and the GXR sensors were intentionally optimized for that purpose.

G

thomas

Mixed feelings so far.

The situation with wide lenses (usable edge sharpness for landscape/architecture style of work) is simply frustrating. By now I haven't found a lens wider than 35mm that really works satisfactorily. Either the lenses are soft at the edges (like most wide ZM, Leica M and Voigtländer lenses) or they suffer from heavy field curvature (like the Zeiss 2.0/24 ZA... which also shows too much CAs for my taste). The TS-E 24 II is certainly great... but at this focal length I actually don't need movements. Too... actually I'd prefer a 28mm over 24mm. And 20mm is too wide...
The FE 2.8/35 ZA is good... but certainly not stellar. My copy is very sharp in the center and midfield right from f2.8. For really good edge performance you have to stop down to f5.6 ... better f8 (due to some field curvature... otherwise it's sharp at the edges from f4). The light falloff of this lens is heavy. Really heavy! So when you correct the light falloff in post you end up with noisy edges (not a problem at base ISO... but clearly visible when you go somewhat higher with the ISO setting). It also shows CAs. At least my sample is perfectly centered... so I can use it.
I've just returned the second sample of a FE 1.8/55 since both have been decentered. For the time beeing I don't have any plans to do further beta testing. I don't like the look of the lens very much either ... so I will use my Zeiss ZM 2.0/50 (which works really great on the A7R ... it has to be stopped down a bit, of course. Then again it shows moiré at f5.6 at the edges ... so the lens is certainly sharp enough for the A7R's sensor).
I also don't like the focus by wire technique of the FE lenses. The ZMs are so much nicer (and more precise) to focus manually. I have been shipped a ZM Tele Tessar 4/85. I'll test it on weekend.
I am waiting for my Contax PC-Distagon 2.8/35 (should be here in Germany end of next week or so). If it's as good as reported on the A7R, I'll sell the FE 2.8/35 (since I don't like the manual fosusing, the field curvature and the light falloff). The PC-Distagon also covers a focal range up to 24mm when stitching. Maybe this solves my problem with wides to some degree (at least for static subjects). The PC-Distagon 35mm, the ZM 2.0/50 and the ZM 4/85 would make a perfect kit for me. I don't need more lenses for this camera.
I go through all this BS with buying, testing, returning/exchanging and researching lenses because I like the camera (the sensor and the handling) ... and I really want to make it work for me.

4season

All I can say is, what alternate reality is this, where some of the best image quality comes from small and relatively affordable Sony cameras! Shouldn't it be big, heavy, cost as much as a small car and have a waiting list months long? Where's the mystique in a camera that just plain works right out of the box, without at least a couple of remedial trips to a factory in a distant land?

Godfrey

All I can say is, what alternate reality is this, where some of the best image quality comes from small and relatively affordable Sony cameras! Shouldn't it be big, heavy, cost as much as a small car and have a waiting list months long? Where's the mystique in a camera that just plain works right out of the box, without at least a couple of remedial trips to a factory in a distant land?
Not sure what camera you're imagining there. I've never bought any new camera that didn't work right out of the box. :angel:

G

Mixed feelings so far.

The situation with wide lenses (usable edge sharpness for landscape/architecture style of work) is simply frustrating. By now I haven't found a lens wider than 35mm that really works satisfactorily. Either the lenses are soft at the edges (like most wide ZM, Leica M and Voigtländer lenses) or they suffer from heavy field curvature (like the Zeiss 2.0/24 ZA... which also shows too much CAs for my taste). The TS-E 24 II is certainly great... but at this focal length I actually don't need movements. Too... actually I'd prefer a 28mm over 24mm. And 20mm is too wide...
Have you tried the M-Rokkor 28mm? I have heard and seen great things.

I have the 24mm Minolta MD /2.8 and it is excellent. Very little distortion or field curvature and the corners performance is very good - excellent really, right up to the tip of the corner - no color casts at all.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Have you tried the M-Rokkor 28mm? I have heard and seen great things.

I have the 24mm Minolta MD /2.8 and it is excellent. Very little distortion or field curvature and the corners performance is very good - excellent really, right up to the tip of the corner - no color casts at all.
I second this . . . . I was using the Minolta 24mm today with my A850. An excellent lens.

Keith

BBisset

I am having so much fun, I feel guilty...

I have literally been out of (serious) photography for 25 years. I had a Canon 20D for a bit, but I found the quality a bit disappointing so I gave it to my daughter.

Almost 10 years later, I thought, "Well if I don't get back into it now, I likely never will." I started doing my research, and came very close to buying a D610 as when I was a working photog, I always shot Nikons. <3 F4

But I came across the A7/R and thought that with the lens adapter flexibility, maybe I'll scrounge for some old sweet glass and have some fun.

Never thought I'd: a) Buy a Sony camera, or b) Buy a Tokina lens. c) or a Sigma, d) or a Tamron... but wow.

Boy, am I having fun.

Regards, Brian
Coal Shovel

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm having as much fun as it's possible to have with your clothes on - and sometimes, more!

I can always tell when I'm smitten (and it so often doesn't happen) when I buy all the 'bits' and start selling other stuff. This week I purchased a VGrip and a F43m flash, and my 24-70 is due I hope tomorrow. I have two A7R bodies and might add an A7. I also pre-ordered the 70-200 today.

I'm keeping the D800 because it is useful for those rare times I need tracking (not that it's very good at it) and currently for longer lens and bad weather use. I also am keeping many of my Nikon lenses but I am going to sell my adapted 50 R Cron (never thought that would happen!) and my Zeiss 100mm Macro Planar, and my Nikkor 28mm F1.8G and all my Leica M glass other than the F1 Nocti and the 90mm Macro Elmar. So the 18mm Super Elmar is going, the 28 Cron is going, the 35 Lux is going... and I'm selling my M240 - and my E-M1 and 12-40 and Panny 100-300 will go as soon as I have ascertained that a downresed A7R/24-70 does better than an E-M1/12-40.

Keeping my RX1 and RX100 and IQ180...

So now I will be a nearly all Sony guy. Who'd a thunk it, really?

Now if the British weather would now just let me outside for a while!

vjbelle

I'm keeping the D800 because it is useful for those rare times I need tracking (not that it's very good at it) and currently for longer lens and bad weather use. I also am keeping many of my Nikon lenses but I am going to sell my adapted 50 R Cron (never thought that would happen!) and my Zeiss 100mm Macro Planar, and my Nikkor 28mm F1.8G and all my Leica M glass other than the F1 Nocti and the 90mm Macro Elmar.

I'm also keeping my D800e.... just can't think of a good reason to sell it. Would never sell my 100mm Planar - its just too good. The one lens that has totally surprised me is the Nikon 85mm 1.8. Light and sharp.... a little pita because of having to dial down the aperture with the Novoflex but the results are really worth it. Of course my IQ180 stays until something 'really' better comes along.

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm having as much fun as it's possible to have with your clothes on - and sometimes, more!

I can always tell when I'm smitten (and it so often doesn't happen) when I buy all the 'bits' and start selling other stuff. This week I purchased a VGrip and a F43m flash, and my 24-70 is due I hope tomorrow. I have two A7R bodies and might add an A7. I also pre-ordered the 70-200 today.

I'm keeping the D800 because it is useful for those rare times I need tracking (not that it's very good at it) and currently for longer lens and bad weather use. I also am keeping many of my Nikon lenses but I am going to sell my adapted 50 R Cron (never thought that would happen!) and my Zeiss 100mm Macro Planar, and my Nikkor 28mm F1.8G and all my Leica M glass other than the F1 Nocti and the 90mm Macro Elmar. So the 18mm Super Elmar is going, the 28 Cron is going, the 35 Lux is going... and I'm selling my M240 - and my E-M1 and 12-40 and Panny 100-300 will go as soon as I have ascertained that a downresed A7R/24-70 does better than an E-M1/12-40.

So now I will be a nearly all Sony guy. Who'd a thunk it, really?

Now if the British weather would now just let me outside for a while!
Looks like I'm not the only one . Now that makes a positive statement for Sony. Lol

Tim full report on the 24-70 . Lol

Guy Mancuso

I'm 90 percent there on ordering a ZA 24 today. My new ZA 135 1.8 will be here tomorrow. Or a Zeiss 25f2 and let the zoom gap me from 25- 55. I think the zoom will be good starting at 28 so I want a good 24/25 ish lens

MikalWGrass

Guy, I bought the ZA 135/1.8 several years ago on Marc's recommendation (Marc shot my wedding 10 years ago and my son's bar mitzvah last month). It is probably the best lens I own, and if it was a bit smaller I would probably use it more. I have the 70-200/2.8G that I bought from Marc, and while it is also a great lens, it is NOTHING compared to the ZA 135/1.8. If I could only find a way to retrofit it onto my Leica M6, I would be in heaven.

Guy Mancuso

Really looking forward to the 135.

I think what folks outside the Sony zone are not realizing what this cam can do and it fast is with these AF Sony lenses in The FINDER I can AF hold shutter half way down hit my zoom with my thumb focus at 100 percent hit zoom agin and return to full image while still holding the shutter half way. Compose and shoot IN the finder without taking my eye away to look at the LCD. I have a HOODMAN loupe for sale. That folks was a NIKON dig

Michiel Schierbeek

This camera has been a dream come true. A small mirrorless FF!
I love it even with my cloth on.

Guy, did you try your samyang/rokinon 14mm already on the A7r?
I saw some awesome images with it. It will be my next purchase, i think.

For now I am also very happy with the VC Ultron 21, sharp, no distortion and the colours are very easy to correct.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Michael, I have tried my Samyang and it is indeed very good - the sensor does show up a mild 'coarseness' of drawing style but that really is nit-picking...

Guy Mancuso

This camera has been a dream come true. A small mirrorless FF!
I love it even with my cloth on.

Guy, did you try your samyang/rokinon 14mm already on the A7r?
I saw some awesome images with it. It will be my next purchase, i think.

For now I am also very happy with the VC Ultron 21, sharp, no distortion and the colours are very easy to correct.
No but getting one in the E mount looks like fun. On the list but later. Need to get my main lenses in first. I'm almost there. Need a new ski mask. Lol