The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 and A7r owners. Are we having fun yet.

nostatic

and is it worth the expense?
In my case, my local shop was running a "trade in deal." Essentially you give them any old camera (in my case, an iPhone 3G), and you get $300 off. So I traded the A7 kit straight across for the A7r. (well, I owed them $25 due to the difference in tax). Since I had already bought the 35 and 55 FE lenses, certainly worth it to me. I got the RX1r used from B&H for $1800 (in mint condition) so for once I didn't pay top-dollar to get the gear I wanted.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
In my case, my local shop was running a "trade in deal." Essentially you give them any old camera (in my case, an iPhone 3G), and you get $300 off. So I traded the A7 kit straight across for the A7r. (well, I owed them $25 due to the difference in tax). Since I had already bought the 35 and 55 FE lenses, certainly worth it to me. I got the RX1r used from B&H for $1800 (in mint condition) so for once I didn't pay top-dollar to get the gear I wanted.

Damn the photo Gods must love you this month, I am never that blessed without feeling a hard pinch in my ***. LOL

Im excited to see how you like the A7r. I think I maybe be taking some of the blame on this upgrade, just don't tell your wife where i live. I get enough death threats from spouses. LOL

nostatic

Bah - my wife is used to this. My *real* addiction is music gear, as I'm a musician by night and play about 100+ gigs a year with a couple of bands. A few years ago I discovered Fodera electric basses. Made by a small shop in Brooklyn, the are amazing instruments. And *start* at $4750 and go up from there, with most of the customs in the $8-12K range. I endorse them so I get a small break, but we're talking small. Right now I have three of them in the house :eek: At least I haven't considered getting an AJ Presentation - those are $22K and the new hybrid is $35K.

So I've worn her down with those purchases. But I play the snot out of them so she doesn't mind, plus she's a visual artist (sculpture, photo and video) so she "gets it."

So far in just a few shots around the house of my test subjects I really like the r. The high ISO images seem to have a bit different character, and I love the ridiculous resolution. With the A7 I could clearly read the digital clock on the DVR across the room. With the A7r, I can read the silkscreened logo above the digital clock.

nostatic

btw, some of the other objects of desire for point of reference. That would buy a fair chunk of M glass :D

I know nothing about playing music and understand the instruments even less.. but the craftmanship on those instruments looks exceptional! And that I certainly appreciate.

That is also one of the things I appreciate in Leica's.. the feel of that gear was also fantastic. I'll get some nice R or M lens for my A7r just for that!

//Juha

f64

and at least most of the people here seem interested in Sony

Canon (2 Viewing)
Fuji (13 Viewing)
Leica (13 Viewing)
Nikon (18 Viewing)
Pentax (2 Viewing)
Sony (51 Viewing)

currently, but it was the same in the previous days

Don Libby

Expanding on my earlier comment.

I've begun testing the little 7r using all my Phase One glass and so far I'm delighted with what I've seen. The 55LS, 80, 120 all are giving me great files to work with and I still have the 150 and 240 to test. No aperture control however that can be easily worked around using a combination of shutter speed and ISO. The manual focusing is way too easy using the focus mask (is that the proper name?). I turned the color to red and when I'm in focus I hit the shutter.

So, once again yes I'm having fun. Will it replace or do I expect it to replace my medium format gear? No, but it is like that little puppy that just want to tag along and occasionally pee on your boots.

Don

fotografz

and at least most of the people here seem interested in Sony

Canon (2 Viewing)
Fuji (13 Viewing)
Leica (13 Viewing)
Nikon (18 Viewing)
Pentax (2 Viewing)
Sony (51 Viewing)

currently, but it was the same in the previous days
That jumps around based on what is news. Right now Sony is the one making news.

Tomorrow, who knows?

Probably Sony again since they seem to launch something new every hour, on the hour :LOL:

- Marc

thomas

I am waiting for my Contax PC-Distagon 2.8/35 (should be here in Germany end of next week or so). If it's as good as reported on the A7R, I'll sell the FE 2.8/35 (since I don't like the manual fosusing, the field curvature and the light falloff). The PC-Distagon also covers a focal range up to 24mm when stitching. Maybe this solves my problem with wides to some degree (at least for static subjects).
The PC-Distagon in fact works nicely on the A7R. It's sharp at the edges of the large image circle (fully shifted on the long side of the sensor) at f8. It can't compete the FE 2.8/35 ZA in the center ... but it's better at the edges. So I'll simply keep both of the lenses :)

Im sitting here thinking you know how dangerous that can be. My guess is we use our Sony 4 adapter for it. If I get the ZA 24 that gives me 3 ZA lenses already and than the FE glass should work. Okay whats the downside.

If I sold my A7 I can get the ZA 24 that I planned but I can order the FE 24-70 that I have not ordered yet. Spare change and get a second adapter.
Guy, be aware that many users have had focus issues with the ZA 24. I ended up returning mine after trying a repair with Sony that did nothing to fix the variable focus performance - some hits, lot's of misses. When it was on it was ON but could not depend on it.