The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7 AF issue?

VINCET

Finally got an AF lens to go with my Sony A7. The lens I picked is the 55mm f1.8. I have the camera set for AF-C and center spot. The focusing seems a bit slow (although still faster than my manual focus). It also seems to have a mind of its own sometimes moving away from the center spot. Is there any setting that I am missing? Most of my test were in door at night with CFL lights. Not really dark scene.

Am I missing anything in the setting that can improve the performance? Other than that, the lens is amazing.

fotografz

Why APSc setting?

I wonder if the camera has to take a nano second to account for that crop frame shooting?

If you are looking for reach with the FE55/1.8 … maybe the new A6000 APSc 24meg camera is a consideration. Sony claims "worlds fastest AF" … faster than $7,000 sports cameras! Killer tracking ability, even at 11 FPS!

Never thought I'd EVER consider an APSc sensor, but this one got my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BpC6R4B9YM

Pisses me off that the A7 doesn't have this, but that's Sony for you.

- Marc

VINCET

Why APSc setting?

I wonder if the camera has to take a nano second to account for that crop frame shooting?

If you are looking for reach with the FE55/1.8 … maybe the new A6000 APSc 24meg camera is a consideration. Sony claims "worlds fastest AF" … faster than $7,000 sports cameras! Killer tracking ability, even at 11 FPS!

Never thought I'd EVER consider an APSc sensor, but this one got my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BpC6R4B9YM

Pisses me off that the A7 doesn't have this, but that's Sony for you.

- Marc
Marc, I reference AF-C (Auto Focus - continuous mode) not APs-C.

Vince

nostatic

I never use AF-C - instead single point AF-S. I use DMF so that I can tweak focus manually after acquiring the AF.

fotografz

It is $648.00 at B&H if you preorder it. The body and kit lens is $798.00.
Mikal, you were the first person I though of when I read the specs on this A6000. Seems perfect for your family sports outings. I was just going to e-mail you, when I saw this response.

The question would be lenses for what you shoot. I haven't kept up on what is available in the APSc mount lens line-up … so others may chime in with suggestions.

It'd be interesting to know how well the FE55/1.8 would work … that'd be roughly a 85mm on the A6000's 24 meg APSc sensor.

Not sure about longer lenses, or how your 135/1.8 would fair in terms of AF on this camera … or what adapter you'd have to use. But that would be a 200/1.8 equivalent!

Heck, I may look at this camera as a back-up to the A7R rather than the A7 even though I'm allergic to crop frame anything from anyone. The AF speed alone may be worth it.

Jiminy Cricket, this stuff from Sony is moving so fast you can hardly keep up just reading about it.

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Mikal, you were the first person I though of when I read the specs on this A6000. Seems perfect for your family sports outings. I was just going to e-mail you, when I saw this response.

The question would be lenses for what you shoot. I haven't kept up on what is available in the APSc mount lens line-up … so others may chime in with suggestions.

It'd be interesting to know how well the FE55/1.8 would work … that'd be roughly a 85mm on the A6000's 24 meg APSc sensor.

Not sure about longer lenses, or how your 135/1.8 would fair in terms of AF on this camera … or what adapter you'd have to use. But that would be a 200/1.8 equivalent!

Heck, I may look at this camera as a back-up to the A7R rather than the A7 even though I'm allergic to crop frame anything from anyone. The AF speed alone may be worth it.

Jiminy Cricket, this stuff from Sony is moving so fast you can hardly keep up just reading about it.

- Marc

You need to stop reading my mind as i thought the same thing. I don't need the A7 with this. My 135 1.8 becomes a 200 1.8. Holy ****

And dof would be like 200/2.8, so thatwould be great also.. more light than those huge 200mm "pro lenses" and same dof. I can see this being very intersting for someone who needs a 200mm.

Not to mention that sensor is only using the central part of the lens, so should be really good to the corners also.

//Juha

MikalWGrass

I will use my A mount lenses if I can, and if I buy it. I am not inclined to go to get E mount lenses at this time. From what I read I think I can still use the same adapters as on the A7 and NEX system.

MikalWGrass

I would also be buying it for sports only because I am being asked more and more to take more "action" type pics. I could also take it with me as a travel type camera.

Let's see how it is reviewed after it hits the market.