Site Sponsors

Thread: A7 AF issue?

Post Thanks / Like

A7 AF issue?

Finally got an AF lens to go with my Sony A7. The lens I picked is the 55mm f1.8. I have the camera set for AF-C and center spot. The focusing seems a bit slow (although still faster than my manual focus). It also seems to have a mind of its own sometimes moving away from the center spot. Is there any setting that I am missing? Most of my test were in door at night with CFL lights. Not really dark scene.

Am I missing anything in the setting that can improve the performance? Other than that, the lens is amazing.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7 AF issue?

Why APSc setting?

I wonder if the camera has to take a nano second to account for that crop frame shooting?

If you are looking for reach with the FE55/1.8 maybe the new A6000 APSc 24meg camera is a consideration. Sony claims "worlds fastest AF" faster than $7,000 sports cameras! Killer tracking ability, even at 11 FPS!

Never thought I'd EVER consider an APSc sensor, but this one got my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BpC6R4B9YM

Pisses me off that the A7 doesn't have this, but that's Sony for you.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

a6000? Shoot me!

Post Thanks / Like

It is $648.00 at B&H if you preorder it. The body and kit lens is $798.00.

Post Thanks / Like

DMF with focus peaking

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Why APSc setting?

I wonder if the camera has to take a nano second to account for that crop frame shooting?

If you are looking for reach with the FE55/1.8 maybe the new A6000 APSc 24meg camera is a consideration. Sony claims "worlds fastest AF" faster than $7,000 sports cameras! Killer tracking ability, even at 11 FPS!

Never thought I'd EVER consider an APSc sensor, but this one got my attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BpC6R4B9YM

Pisses me off that the A7 doesn't have this, but that's Sony for you.

- Marc
    Marc, I reference AF-C (Auto Focus - continuous mode) not APs-C.

Vince

Post Thanks / Like

I never use AF-C - instead single point AF-S. I use DMF so that I can tweak focus manually after acquiring the AF.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    Mikal, you were the first person I though of when I read the specs on this A6000. Seems perfect for your family sports outings. I was just going to e-mail you, when I saw this response.

The question would be lenses for what you shoot. I haven't kept up on what is available in the APSc mount lens line-up so others may chime in with suggestions.

It'd be interesting to know how well the FE55/1.8 would work that'd be roughly a 85mm on the A6000's 24 meg APSc sensor.

Not sure about longer lenses, or how your 135/1.8 would fair in terms of AF on this camera or what adapter you'd have to use. But that would be a 200/1.8 equivalent!

Heck, I may look at this camera as a back-up to the A7R rather than the A7 even though I'm allergic to crop frame anything from anyone. The AF speed alone may be worth it.

Jiminy Cricket, this stuff from Sony is moving so fast you can hardly keep up just reading about it.

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by VINCET View Post
    Marc, I reference AF-C (Auto Focus - continuous mode) not APs-C.

Vince
    My mistake, Sorry.

-Marc

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Mikal, you were the first person I though of when I read the specs on this A6000. Seems perfect for your family sports outings. I was just going to e-mail you, when I saw this response.

The question would be lenses for what you shoot. I haven't kept up on what is available in the APSc mount lens line-up so others may chime in with suggestions.

It'd be interesting to know how well the FE55/1.8 would work that'd be roughly a 85mm on the A6000's 24 meg APSc sensor.

Not sure about longer lenses, or how your 135/1.8 would fair in terms of AF on this camera or what adapter you'd have to use. But that would be a 200/1.8 equivalent!

Heck, I may look at this camera as a back-up to the A7R rather than the A7 even though I'm allergic to crop frame anything from anyone. The AF speed alone may be worth it.

Jiminy Cricket, this stuff from Sony is moving so fast you can hardly keep up just reading about it.

- Marc

You need to stop reading my mind as i thought the same thing. I don't need the A7 with this. My 135 1.8 becomes a 200 1.8. Holy ****
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

And dof would be like 200/2.8, so thatwould be great also.. more light than those huge 200mm "pro lenses" and same dof. I can see this being very intersting for someone who needs a 200mm.

Not to mention that sensor is only using the central part of the lens, so should be really good to the corners also.

//Juha

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MikalWGrass View Post
    Hey Mikal, I just took a tour of the E mount APSc lenses and this caught my eye:

Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS Lens SELP18105G B&H Photo Video

27-158/4G equivalent, with Optical Image Stabilization: $600. $1,250 for the whole deal.

Others would have to speak to the IQ from this lens, I wouldn't have a clue.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    DMF with focus peaking
    I will give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I will use my A mount lenses if I can, and if I buy it. I am not inclined to go to get E mount lenses at this time. From what I read I think I can still use the same adapters as on the A7 and NEX system.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also be buying it for sports only because I am being asked more and more to take more "action" type pics. I could also take it with me as a travel type camera.

Let's see how it is reviewed after it hits the market.