The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DPreview review of A7r is out

Well, with a brief look at the last page they seem to have nailed things down quite nicely. Though some of the issues mentioned there are purely non-issues for me, I can understand some would be annoyed by them.

Fairly honest assessment, I'd say.

//Juha

jonoslack

I think I must be the casual snap shooter the camera isn't for :)
They don't seem to notice the shutter cacophony, so maybe it's my imagination. Generally speaking I think it's good that they've awarded it a gold - let's face it, it's more innovative than the A7 - I'd still rather have the A7 though (unless they come up with some firmware improvements).

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Pretty fair review, IMHO after a few weeks shooting with the a7r.
Surprised they didn't mention the shutter clunk in the Cons though. Personally it doesn't bother my style of photography at all but "people shooters" must find it irritating..

nostatic

Today we had a 2-star general visiting our lab. I documented some of it, snapping away happily in dead silence with the RX1r. When I picked up the A7r, I took one photo, two people in the group turned to look because of the shutter noise, and I put it away and continued with the RX1r. A7 would have been a bit less disruptive, but for some environments it is somewhat all or nothing.

I think the A7r would be better with the EFC from the A7. I think it would be a total home run with the leaf shutter from the RX1(r).

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I'm with Michael. You think this thing has shutter noise, you should have shot medium format film a few years back. Now THAT was some shutter noise ;=)

nostatic

I've made peace with it, but today my subjects reacted. While not the end of the world, it does change the dynamics of the event. For certain things, a loud shutter doesn't matter. For others, it can ruin things.

W.Utsch

Yes, but still some arguable cons:

No in Cam Raw conversion?
No build in flash ?
No live view with remote software? (i have live view on my iPad when on remote)
Menu poor? (i like it, the best Sony menu so far)
JPEG quality.

None of these i can see as a con!

The shutter speed at Auto ISO thing is true, but just change to M Mode in lower light. Firmware update may help.
And yes, it happened to me that i moved the Ex comp wheel with no intention.

Yes, but still some arguable cons:

No in Cam Raw conversion?
No build in flash ?
No live view with remote software? (i have live view on my iPad when on remote)
Menu poor? (i like it, the best Sony menu so far)
JPEG quality.

None of these i can see as a con!

The shutter speed at Auto ISO thing is true, but just change to M Mode in lower light. Firmware update may help.
And yes, it happened to me that i moved the Ex comp wheel with no intention.
Indeed, many of the cons are non-exististing for target audience. What's the point of separate in camera raw conversion? For that you shoot jpeg, right? That's conversion.. built-in flash is something you'll know in advance, prior to purchase and fex I bought this thing to specifically avoid the flash!

Menu's could be better, I agree. I'd like menu's a la Leica. But it's not something you'll care about after a while when one gets used to them.

Jpeg quality, to a certain extent. But this camera is meant for raw shooting and jpegs are for like quick review..

I think the real cons/wish list would be more like:

- loud/clumsy shutter (isn't really big, but better ones are out there)
- battery life
- native lens selection, so far
- auto iso implementation
- menu system to a degree (better ones exist)
- sd-card cover could be better
- phase/hybrid af would be brilliant

But none of these are really "killers" in the current implementation. Pro's outweight cons currently.

//Juha

Last edited:
My personal list of cons:

-menù is difficult to understand and manage
-user manual does not help
-AF could be better
-Auto Iso implementation is almost unusable
-Start up is very slow
- The display cannot be completely switched off
- Lossy raw compression should be an option not a must

Charles2

Another con? : For MF lenses, cumbersome focus

Another con? : For manual focus lenses, cumbersome access to magnification for focus.

Godfrey

I'm with Michael. You think this thing has shutter noise, you should have shot medium format film a few years back. Now THAT was some shutter noise ;=)
Whenever I think my Nikon F is loud, I just pull out the Hasseblad 500CM and fire off a few frames. Visions of working in the engine room of a steam-powered trawler wander through my head. Then I go shooting with the Nikon and it seems utterly silent and vibrationless. ;-)

Had a party to go to last evening so for the first time in a couple of weeks I pick up the Olympus E-M1, fitted the Panasonic 14mm + wide converter, and stuff it and the Summilux 25 into my bag. Made 20 photos at the party. What a slick, fast, small, light, and superbly ergonomic camera that is! I was controlling the camera from my iPad mini, brought all the exposures into iMovie, rolled them into a movie presentation with titling and a sound track, integrated a short video clip, and emailed it to everyone there ... all in ten minutes while I was still there at the party.

The photo/audio-visual/realization tools we have today are simply amazing.
I guess I should look at the DPR blather sometime, eh?

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I find C1 a very convenient choice.
I'm a left eyed shooter and for some reason the center button just fits better to me and my thumb is right there anyway. It's certainly a feel thing. BTW our dear Cindy Flood gave us a tip awhile back by using a product called Sugru. I think that is how it is spelled but anyway its a rubber that you can form. And place on the C1 function button to make it bigger which I took her advice and it works really nice. I'll get a link here up if you folks want to try it. Very nice solution.