The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using a medium format lens on the Sony A7r

Ben Rubinstein

RZ 110mm on a E mount to RZ mount helicoid with about 12mm of shift including rotation. Oooh now that would be incredibly nice! Using that lens with the intended FOV on something the size of the A7r. Goose pimples. I've got a shift adaptor for Mamiya 645 to EF mount and dumb EF to E mount but none of the Mamiya 645 lenses we have really excite me enough to bother. Even if I could stop them down.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Don, can you please help me to understand how do you use Phase / Mamiya lenses w/o aperture control? How do you control DOF?
I answered this off line and forgot to do the same her (don't want anyone thinking I'm ignoring Subrata).

Actually this is a very good question re DOF when using this type of lens and adaptor. The adaptor I used is dumb. By that I mean its only function in life is to act as a means of attaching the lens to the camera body; that's the good news. The not so good news is that there's no way for the lens and body to speak to each other. The lens reverts to wide open aperture and is manually focused. The body is left controlling shutter speed and ISO.

The good news is that even with all the above quirks, having the ability for live view is awesome. Through out the testing I found I was able to focus on what and where I wanted and using the shutter and ISO quickly bring the image into an area that I liked. I don't think I had 100% success rate however I do remember having more than enough to satisfy myself.

I haven't done any more with this but may return to it if I get bored again....
:)

Don

P. Chong

Thanks...great discussion!

I am thinking of the A7 with a Hasselblad Zeiss Makro Planar 120, with and without extension tubes. Any one knows how to make sense of the Hassie's magnification charts in this application? What is the highest possible magnification with just the lens and with tubes?

Thanks.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Has anyone tried the Mirex T/S adapter direct to the Sony/Minolta mount or does that need an additional adapter (assuming not FE mount Sony??).

Looking at interesting options for some of my Mamiya and Hassy V glass on the A7r.

I just got my Hartblei super rotator for the Phase One back so I may just get the Fotodiox Pro adapter M645 -> FE first but other T/S options could be fun to try.

philip_pj

Graham, I have one - Mirex TS for M645 to A mount, which then needs an A mount to (F)E adapter, such as the Sony LA-EA3 I use for Leitax'd older lenses. At the time of buying most such TS adapters were from memory not specific to A mount, but m42, only from memory here, but I had faith Sony will keep going. I found it a little fussy on the a900 but the a7r is superior in many ways that will help: more res, EVF, histo, review, etc. The first universal camera..

I have a number of the M645 MF lenses some of which are very decent. I have not tried any on the a7r (my travel cam!), figured I would sell them and the adapter to an A900/a99 user or see what Sony does for that mount. Many lens aficionados really rate the 120/4 as one that stays with native 35mm format lenses, but they all have a fine draw and tones. The 80/2.8 is another fine one.

Stefan Steib

The combination Mirex and Sony A7/R/S is made in heaven.
You can do things with this that were only a wet dream some time ago.

Here is one of my crazy setups. the used 1,4 Sigma Apo EXDG Extender reaches about 28mm of shift.......in words TWENTY EIGHT when used with two Mirexes. Quality very decent....

Don Libby

The combination Mirex and Sony A7/R/S is made in heaven.
You can do things with this that were only a wet dream some time ago.

Here is one of my crazy setups. the used 1,4 Sigma Apo EXDG Extender reaches about 28mm of shift.......in words TWENTY EIGHT when used with two Mirexes. Quality very decent....

I'd try this just based on the cool factor of the way it looks!

Okay now you have me searching for a T/S adaptor to use on my Mamiya/Phase glass...