The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7R Stitched With Zeiss 50 Macro Planar

Thomas Fallon

Overlapped quite a bit to make the stitching easier. The software breezed right through with nothing for me to do manually. 3 x 6 frames. About 15000 pixels across. I tried this with a 100 mm lens earlier. That were a lot more images and pixels. The problem was that the software could not match up some images of only sky with not much detail. The 50 mm always had a bit of horizon, light house, rocks, whatever. When I finish this, I will post a 100% crop.

Your image looks very good. Do you use a special pano head or a standard ball head to do the multirow panos?

I have found moving water such as the ocean to be problematic when doing panos. Featureless or fast moving cloudy skies also problematic. PTGui is excellent pano software, but it must have common fixed points in adjoining frames to do its thing.

Thomas Fallon

Yes, sky that is mostly featureless causes a problem. I made sure to include something with detail in the edge of each frame of sky. I have done a total of two of these, so I am not the most experienced guy to ask. I did not have an issue with the water here. I did pick up a 10 stop ND to see how I like the water blurred, but have not tried that yet. Friggin' cold here and I am a wimp. I got the Acratech pano head. Very light. Very simple. The detail in these is amazing. In this, there is a bird on a rock about to take flight. He is tack sharp. Another thing I like is that I get no chromatic aberrations with a 50, which I do get with a wide angle lens.